The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-12-2019, 04:22 PM

Captain, I have a steel string Silent Guitar that I really enjoy. I found mine in Guitar Centers website used instrument section and my local GC transfered it to their store for me and I bought it. I play it at night after everyones in bed. A couple months ago I took it and left it in my work office. I can close my office door and not bother anyone.

Now, I'm missing it at home and have been trolling Reverb for a nylon model.

Which finish are you getting?
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 03-12-2019, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

No apologies needed ! Good stuff, besides, it gives me permission to do it to others LOL I learned a lot in this thread. I wonder if Yamaha will wonder why the bump in silent guitar sales. LOL

And yes, Kevin usually answers my emails, maybe he is on vacation too??? Not like them to ignore emails.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Captain, I have a steel string Silent Guitar that I really enjoy. I found mine in Guitar Centers website used instrument section and my local GC transfered it to their store for me and I bought it. I play it at night after everyones in bed. A couple months ago I took it and left it in my work office. I can close my office door and not bother anyone.

Well, there isn't a lot of guitar there to have a finish, but: the tobacco burst. Looks like this...

Certainly not a typical nylon string guitar. The steel string version I played today gave me confidence to order the nylon version. What I've heard online sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
No apologies needed ! Good stuff, besides, it gives me permission to do it to others LOL I learned a lot in this thread. I wonder if Yamaha will wonder why the bump in silent guitar sales. LOL

And yes, Kevin usually answers my emails, maybe he is on vacation too??? Not like them to ignore emails.
John, I had some e-mails not get to the Emerald folks in between Sean and Kevin. Not sure what happened, but there was eventually follow-up when I re-sent them.

I have great faith that your X7 will be the delight you were hoping for once set up to your tastes.

Not sure if two of us getting one of these will constitute "a bump." I have been kicking around getting a nylon string guitar for the last month or so, and this should scratch that itch. Yeah, I know I said I "likely wouldn't be getting any more wood guitars..." but this is more electronics and air than wood.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Captain, great to hear you found one that should work. It does sound very good on you tube. Several years ago I had one of the Taylor Nylons. A 3 series I think. I really liked it a lot, so i sold it to buy something else. LOL It is one of the few guitars I regret letting go. I was able to buy the other one back. I've played a few nylons over the last couple years, but nothing has grabbed me enough to spend the money. Yet. Would love to try an Emerald. Anxious to hear your thoughts of the Yammy N. Glad you beat that man flu....

I got an email from Kevin this morning, I think they are pretty busy with the boss away. Probably drinking Guiness and playing guitars. LOL I hope anyway.

Last edited by jdinco; 03-13-2019 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post

My nylon Yammy silent finally popped on USPS tracking. Seems like instead of shipping it via truck they opted for the 'slow boat from China' method. Even though it's close (left Springfield, MA last night) it's still not here. It was due on Monday. I'm hoping maybe by tomorrow - Thursday. Typical USPS. I think they transferred it from the boat in Springfield to a pack mule. A real old pack mule. With three legs. And blind in one eye.

I've also got a line on a steel string model I might pick up if I find the nylon fretboard width and string spacing to be too wide. I'll let you know as if I do I'll be selling the nylon one and will give you a great deal unless you find one first. Mine is the burst model. I like the look of those the best.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:48 AM
Guest 928

The Yamaha SL100N is perhaps the best known of the silent guitars. The best silent guitar may be the FrameWorks, a German instrument without a head-stock with the tuners at the bottom of the guitar--it is a professional level guitar and not cheap. I'm not sure if the Miranda is still being sold, but it was a factory-only purchase and ran about $2000. The Soloette, made in Oregon has a nice look and is powered by small microphones in a tube at the bridge, it runs around $600. The soloette oursourced a model of its guitar to Aria which makes the Sinsonido which I would not recommend. At the bottom of the heap is the Sojing, a really cheap-in-everyway instrument; it has a horrible paint job, sound that would peel paint, and electrics that cut in and out on a random basis.

In my estimation, none of the silent guitars have much aesthetic sense. Function and tone are their goals and the Yamaha is a success relative to those goals. It sounds like a real guitar, is really portable, and good looking for what it is.

the above information is based on explorations made about 10 years ago and I assume that some of the guitars mentioned are no longer available and the ones that are probably priced at higher levels than mentioned.

Excuse the lengthy exposition, but I did all that exploration and finally have the chance to burp it out--I feel better, thank you.

PS: Carbon fiber might be a perfect medium for a silent guitar.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Glad you were able to "burp it out", Evan. In the grand scheme of things, it was your "love of nylon" that made me give this a consideration. In the last 6 weeks, I have played a bunch of nylon string guitars, and the only one that impressed me was a Taylor 312ce-n... truly, a lovely guitar, with a nice sound.

While not CF specific, I couldn't justify spending $2-3K on a nylon string carbon fiber guitar. Nylon has an interesting tone, but I don't see it ever replace steel strings for what my ears like. So, the SLG200n was a relatively inexpensive "toe dipping" and something that interested me. I have some other guitars that I would consider non-typical: namely a Taylor T5 and this most recent X10 with the level 2 pickups. They both fill a niche for me between electric and acoustic. This Silent Guitar (nylon) hopefully will do the same. I was actually quite impressed with the sound of the steel string SLG200 I played. If the nylon version lives up to that (and what I've heard online says it should), I will be happy.

And, I will be able to better understand your world, Evan. Heck, I might even try to learn how to fingerpick. I have been pretty "meh" about the nylon stuff I've been trying - I am hoping this unusual new incoming guitar impresses.

For the record, my wife and daughter both thought the look of the SLG200 was cool. Joan already has some ideas about how we can change things in my guitar room (when we get home) so I can add more guitars to the walls. (guitars I already have that spend time in their cases, NOT buying more guitars)

At the risk of inciting delivery karma like Scott did, it is due in next Monday.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:13 PM
Guest 928

Jim;

I think you will like the guitar. The only thing that might be off-putting is the nut width--but if you're considering more finger picking then the guitar might be on the money. Sound-wise and play-wise, the Yamaha is a nice instrument.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Jim;

I think you will like the guitar. The only thing that might be off-putting is the nut width--but if you're considering more finger picking then the guitar might be on the money. Sound-wise and play-wise, the Yamaha is a nice instrument.
Yeah, the nut width of the nylon is nearly 1/4" wider than the 1 11/16 of the steel string. I have no issue moving between the 1 3/4 and the 1 11/16 of my other guitars, so I am hoping the wider width of the nylon will still be comfortable for me. The string spacing is .5mm more between each string at the bridge; about 1/64" if I am figuring correctly.

I played a couple classical neck nylons in the last few days, and some did feel a bit like playing a surfboard. I'm counting on this old dog being able to... adapt. We'll see.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 03-13-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Yeah, the nut width of the nylon is nearly 1/4" wider than the 1 11/16 of the steel string. I have no issue moving between the 1 3/4 and the 1 11/16 of my other guitars, so I am hoping the wider width of the nylon will still be comfortable for me. The string spacing is .5mm more between each string at the bridge; about 1/64" if I am figuring correctly.

I played a couple classical neck nylons in the last few days, and some did feel a bit like playing a surfboard. I'm counting on this old dog being able to... adapt. We'll see.
I'm in the same boat. I had a Martin 00-28VS that had a 1 7/8" nut that was okay. The yammy is wider than that. I'll give it a good adjustment period but since we do play a fair amount of strumming songs these days I might need to go with the steel string model in the end. Time will tell.

No further USPS updates since the tracking text I got at 3 a.m. that the guitar was leaving Springfield, MA which is like 2.5 hours from where I am in NH. I'm thinking my three-legged, one-eye'd, elderly pack mule also has a drinking problem and is shacked up somewhere in the greater Lawrence, MA area with a female donkey of ill repute...

If it wasn't so pathetic, it would be funny.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

I noticed that most of the Yamaha's for sale on eBay and Reverb were in Japan. Prices were decent, but shipping was really high. Looking forward toa few reviews from you guys.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:28 PM

Talking

So in summary,

X7 after one month... produces massive GAS for an ugly (per Evan) mute... that rides waves and loves nylon.

haha, sorry, couldn't help!
Old 03-13-2019, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

No gas (yet) from me, just looking at what others are checking out. I'm anxiously waiting on getting the X7 back in the next day or two.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
No gas (yet) from me, just looking at what others are checking out. I'm anxiously waiting on getting the X7 back in the next day or two.
John, my X7 also has intonation problem where it is flat at 12th on all but A string which is sharp. The frets were leveled but not crowned properly. There is also a slight bulge in the back. I am planning on visiting GuitarWorks in SF and have it checked out. I set up my own guitars but not sure about intonation and crowning. Overall, it is an incredible guitar, a little slippery at times, but no regrets.

Wish you a fast recovery and a dream-come-true X7!
Old 03-14-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Many thanks Gitaman, I'm having some nagging issues with the knee, hopefully it's just a time thing. I have faith the X7 will quickly become a favorite. I should have it back tomorrow and can report then.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber