The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-03-2019, 02:13 PM

Default Rainsong Parlor Model Differences?

Hi, all--

I was watching a Rainsong P12S on Reverb for a couple of weeks, and when I finally decided to go for it, someone else beat me to it. Rats.

However, there's currently a CH-PA1100NSG listed for only a smidgen more money (considering shipping). As nearly as I can tell, the basic specs on these two guitars are essentially identical (barring a couple of things that I'll note in a moment). Am I missing something?

I did notice, when I went to double-check that I was citing the model number correctly, that this is an 1100 rather than a 1000, which means it doesn't have a pickup. While I'd kind of like one (especially with the built-in tuner), this isn't a deal-breaker for me. The other difference I noted is that the listing says it includes a gig bag, where the other mentioned a hard-shell case. Given that it's a CF guitar either way, I'd been planning on getting a gig bag for ordinary usage anyway.

Thoughts?
Old 03-03-2019, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Go with the cheapest model (no pickup & no hardshell case) and then get a guitar tech to add the pickup of your choice....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-03-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Weren't you originally looking for a nylon string guitar? Either way, good luck with the Rainsong. Very nice guitars !
Old 03-03-2019, 05:41 PM

jdinco:
No, you must be thinking of someone else. I was looking for a small-bodied, CF steel-string.

Top contender is the Rainsong Parlor (originally the P12S, but I missed out on the used one), with the Journey RT660 running a definite second place. Now I'm looking at the CH-PA1100NSG, with the RT660 closing in (but still behind).

This is all based on reviews, videos, and much discussion here. I haven't gotten my hands on any of them, and it's not likely that I'll be able to do so.

What I was having trouble wrapping my head around was what, if any significant differences exist between the two Rainsong models. Barring the electronics, the only thing I see is the gloss top on the CH-PA, as opposed to that all-satin P12--and that isn't, in my book, significant.

Emeralds are out of my price range, but I would LOVE an X10 (even though it's slightly larger), with at least level 2 electronics, and preferably level 3.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:45 PM

christrummer:
Your reply came in while I was working on the one just above, to jdinco. Thanks for confirming my perception of the construction.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Sent you a PM.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 03-03-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayaTambien View Post
jdinco:
No, you must be thinking of someone else. I was looking for a small-bodied, CF steel-string.

Top contender is the Rainsong Parlor (originally the P12S, but I missed out on the used one), with the Journey RT660 running a definite second place. Now I'm looking at the CH-PA1100NSG, with the RT660 closing in (but still behind).

This is all based on reviews, videos, and much discussion here. I haven't gotten my hands on any of them, and it's not likely that I'll be able to do so.

What I was having trouble wrapping my head around was what, if any significant differences exist between the two Rainsong models. Barring the electronics, the only thing I see is the gloss top on the CH-PA, as opposed to that all-satin P12--and that isn't, in my book, significant.

Emeralds are out of my price range, but I would LOVE an X10 (even though it's slightly larger), with at least level 2 electronics, and preferably level 3.
Hi Maya.

I've played the Rainsong P14 (14 fret version of the 12 fret P12) a year ago and the new CH-PA (and CH-OM, CH-WS) more recently.

Both sound good and much the same. They might sound a touch different if played side by side. About the same diffrence you'd get from trying different strings.

CH-PA and P14 are almost as loud as medium size guitars.

The new Rainsong CH series are aimed at workaday professional musicians and are priced lower than their other series. The quality is the same and differences are in trim and maybe tone.

Based on experience trying carbon fibre guitars (4 types of Rainsongs, 2 types of Composite Acoustics, and 2 types of McPhersons) I'd say:
- they sound like good guitars with slightly different tone
- the tone is on the crisper/brighter side ie spruce/mahogany/maple
- the variation in tone between brands is not large
- they are approx as loud as wood guitars the same size

I'd happlly buy a Rainsong except that I'm looking for a configuration not offerred by them.

Best regards

Last edited by casualmusic; 03-03-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayaTambien View Post
jdinco:

What I was having trouble wrapping my head around was what, if any significant differences exist between the two Rainsong models.
It's actually simple.

The P12S was all satin.
The CH-PA is gloss top.

That's basically it. Both had a unidirectional graphite top and hybrid composite back/sides. The P12S was discontinued when they brought the new CH series on line.

The appointments are also a little different:
The P12S had white fret markers and rosette, and silver tuners.
The CH-PA has no fret markers, black rosette, and black tuners.

I almost bought a P12S, but decided I really liked the blacked out look of the new CH series. Frretmarkers are for guitarists in the audience, not the player.

Be advised that newer CH-PA (and OM, and WS) actually have a 12th fret marker. The new ones have a pair of sharks which IMHO looks really classy.

You can order the CH-PA with no pickup, an LR-Baggs, a different LR-Baggs, or a K&K. For some reason Rainsong wants a ridiculous amount of money ($250) to install the K&K. If you want a K&K save yourself $100+ and have a local tech install one).

I bought mine (used) with a Gig Bag, and then bought the Gator 3/4 Acoustic case from Musician's Friend. Perfect fit, and probably the smallest/lightest hard case available, and considerably smaller/lighter than the TKL case rainsongs ship with.

I'd also recommend calling up Ted. (Actually call, and he can beat his website prices).

I was also interested in RT660 until I discovered that it is significantly larger than the OF660. I had been under the impression that the difference was a fixed neck vs. removable, but they actually made the body larger as well.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

Last edited by AZLiberty; 03-03-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:22 PM

Hi, AZLiberty--

The larger body of the RT660 is actually part of the attraction (for me)--it's still small, compared to many other guitars, and the deliberate ergonomic features (Manzer wedge and belly scoop, primarily), make it seem likely that the fit would still be pretty good. I don't have much interest in the OF660--it's cool & all, but I don't fly as it stands, and probably won't in the foreseeable future.

Rainsong is still ahead on points, though....
Old 03-04-2019, 05:59 AM

I've got two RainSong Parlors, the least expensive concert hybrid, and the most expensive full carbon concert. If there is a difference in tone, I've not noticed it. I don't think the 14 fret parlor, which is no longer on their price list, sounds nearly as good. For me the 12 fret RainSong neck puts the bridge in what must be a sweet spot for tone.

The RainSong Access parlor case is kind of bulky and I like the TKL much better. The Gator 3/4 acoustic case is even smaller and it fits too. I've also got an Access Stage One 3/4 gig bag (really cheap if you set up an account at the Access website and use the coupon code THANKYOU). It is also a perfect fit and a big step up from the RainSong Boulder gig bag which is loose and poorly padded (though beautifully stitched with lots of detail).

When MF runs a 15% off sale, a CH-PA plus a Gator 3/4 case would be a great deal.

Ted at LA Guitar Sales can come close to that price if you call and will ship any time (and is a nice guy who deserves our business).

I would buy a new CH-PA and either the Gator 3/4 case or the Access Stage One 3/4 gig bag. Pickup installation is easy for any tech and that way you can avoid the barn doors most dealers stock for RainSong. Also RainSong's upcharge for a not barn door pickup is not far off what a tech would charge for the PUP of your choice.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-07-2019, 12:16 PM

I just picked up a CH-PA1100NSG, so I could offer more feedback on that model. I don't have any experience with the P12S, but based on specs, it seems like they are very similar instruments, with the biggest differences being cosmetic (AZLiberty did a pretty comprehensive rundown already). I doubt you would be able to tell them apart sound-wise, since they use the same construction and dimensions. The only theoretical tonal difference is the gloss top versus satin top. And the CH-PA1100NSG is crazy affordable for a 100% composite instrument. Let me know if you have any questions about the CH-PA that I could answer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber