The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-27-2019, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPT View Post
Hey guys, thanks a lot for your all answers!

Reading what you wrote, I think too that the song was recorded in studio. I can say I'm extremely disappointed now, because at the begin I was believing that they record the music live at that place. So I was thinking how I could record a music similar they do, with affordable equipment, but now I'm discouraged because I don't know if it's possible to achieve this quality recording outside. I'm feeling deluded, haha.
Hey Diogo,
donīt be discouraged !

This all doesnīt mean you canīt pull this off.
There are good sounding live recordings (outside). Yes you can do it with affordable equipment.
Recording and mixing is a craft that needs to be learned.
Great expensive gear can help you getting a prefered sound much more easier, but its not essential for great sounding recordings.
Your capability to play well and youīr knowledge of recording is far more important than the gear.

Take a look at some BalconyTV or Mahogany Sessions live recordings.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:59 AM

I agree with what Dirk_Z has written in the previous post. I would, however; suggest that you could also use the same approach as was employed in the video you linked. Record your track in a controlled studio environment, then go to your chosen outdoor location, set up your computer with the pre-recorded track ready to roll. Then play along with it while shooting the video. You would need to wear headphones in the video as was done in the Endless Summer video. The only snag might be syncing the external audio track with the video unless you have a clip matching function in your video software.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

I looked at it, and my first impression was lip synch to a studio track.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
... go to your chosen outdoor location, set up your computer with the pre-recorded track ready to roll. Then play along with it while shooting the video. You would need to wear headphones in the video as was done in the Endless Summer video.
No, you don't need to wear headphones. All you need is speakers that are loud enough that you can hear the pre-recorded music over your own live playing and singing (you should actually sing and play, not just move your lips and wave your hands). Make sure your video camera (or phone) gets a feed from the audio playback, either hardwired or a mic near the speakers, and then you'll be able to sync up your footage to the track using your computer's video software. It's clunky but doable in iMovie, slicker and easier in most non-free software.

Couch Standards
Old 02-27-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Humm I decided to listen and look at the video on my studio system in 1080p on my 27 display

Frankly I am a bit confused because my first thought was also that it was was basically a studio production because the sound is quite good (more on that)
But they are advertising it as "Live at Lake Powell " so if it is entirely a studio production then that would not only be highly disingenuous but could seem to potentially create a needless PR problem for them ??

On the other hand I will say if it is a lip-synced studio production it is an amazing job. and if it is live it is an outstanding recording and mixing job.

That said a couple of observations:

The strength of the vocal sound is in their very strong harmony. Which in IMO may well be why it sounds like it has depth and width. On my studio system the vocal actually does not seem to have a lot of top end air or have a particularly wide amount of dynamic range,,,,, again it's 'biggness" I think, is from the very well matched harmony and probably some additional mixing enhancement mojo, So all that is to say, I think it is possible it is from the 57's

Also there is definitely some (not a lot) but some piezo quack more noticeable on the note runs than the strumming at least "some" of the guitar sound is from the pickups, and there actually are some subtle hand movements in the video that "could be" reflective of the note runs being played.

A a side note: the videographer is actually visible in a couple of the drone shots from @ 1:39 to 1:43 and also you see three of them moving @ 2:29 to 2:32

About wind: While featured in the intro section
there is also a constant slight background wind noise throughout the video and this was shot on a very quiet day wind wise, as there is almost no wind chop on the lake.
And Shure 57's do have excellent off axis rejection

Just some thoughts and observations because live or not it is an outstanding production either way ...Just some thoughts

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-27-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
A a side note: the videographer is actually visible in a couple of the drone shots from @ 1:39 to 1:43 and also you see three of them moving @ 2:29 to 2:32
Wow, they should have had you analyzing the Zapruder footage. Yep, I guess that's a hunkered-down photographer at 1:39. As for the 4 (I think) tiny, moving figures at 2:29, who knows?

One further thing worth noting, I think, is that the vocals in this track are tuned. For pitch, not for pop-record effect, but nevertheless it's pretty obvious. If you've ever tried to tune a vocal in a live setting, you know that when the software tunes the vocal, it also tunes the bleed. But there's none of that here.

Couch Standards
Old 02-27-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
No, you don't need to wear headphones. All you need is speakers that are loud enough that you can hear the pre-recorded music over your own live playing and singing...
I was referencing the way it appears to have been done in the linked video and attempting to offer the most direct approach with the simplest set up for someone who is new to recording music.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I was referencing the way it appears to have been done in the linked video and attempting to offer the most direct approach with the simplest set up for someone who is new to recording music.
I think we can both be right. :-)

Couch Standards
Old 02-27-2019, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

This is a nicely done video, must have been quite a production as far as cameras and so on. I'm a little surprised no one noticed that around 2:20 there's a guitar solo neither guitarist is playing :-) And actually through-out, there's a little funky single line guitar lick that neither player appears to be playing. So no need to guess about guitar pickups and mic quality, etc. Clearly overdubbed. But well done.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
This is a nicely done video, must have been quite a production as far as cameras and so on.
Not counting the drone, I reckon it was one camera several times.

Couch Standards
Old 02-27-2019, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
This is a nicely done video, must have been quite a production as far as cameras and so on. I'm a little surprised no one noticed that around 2:20 there's a guitar solo neither guitarist is playing :-) And actually through-out, there's a little funky single line guitar lick that neither player appears to be playing. So no need to guess about guitar pickups and mic quality, etc. Clearly overdubbed. But well done.
Someone did actually mention some solo playing that does not appear to on the vid ... BUT I don't know, As in my previous post I just looked again on full screen on my 27" Mac Cinema Display in 1080p, specifically from 2:15 to 2:25 and I think that the guy in the light blue shirt with the smaller guitar is actually catching single notes in between chord changes and some single notes of chord forms ( I could certainly be mistaken and full of baloney ), And it is fleeting and subtle but think it could be what we are hearing, at least that is what I am seeing/hearing.... If not

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-27-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
:

Someone did actually mention some solo playing that does not appear to on the vid ... BUT I don't know, As in my previous post I just looked again on full screen on my 27" Mac Cinema Display in 1080p, specifically from 2:15 to 2:25 and I think that the guy in the light blue shirt with the smaller guitar is actually catching single notes in between chord changes and some single notes of chord forms ( I could certainly be mistaken and full of baloney ), And it is fleeting and subtle but think it could be what we are hearing, at least that is what I am seeing/hearing.... If not
yeah, it looks like he tries to catch the 1st phrase, but then he goes back to rhythm, and there's a pretty substantial lead going on that I see no evidence of. It may be what he does live, sort of hint at some of the licks in the solo. And no one that I can see is doing that little chink-ah-chink part that's going on throughout.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I agree with what Dirk_Z has written in the previous post. I would, however; suggest that you could also use the same approach as was employed in the video you linked. Record your track in a controlled studio environment, then go to your chosen outdoor location, set up your computer with the pre-recorded track ready to roll. Then play along with it while shooting the video. You would need to wear headphones in the video as was done in the Endless Summer video. The only snag might be syncing the external audio track with the video unless you have a clip matching function in your video software.
Hey Trevor and Brent, thanks for the tips, but actually I don't like playback. As I said before, I'm feeling deluded, and I don't want to take this feeling to people. But I liked the ideia to train, play and learn how to record and mix well. Let's see what I'm able to do.

One thing we have to recognize: these guys did a great job, because until now we are trying to understand how they did it..haha

It was a great discussion! Thank you!
Old 02-27-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk_Z View Post
Hey Diogo,
donīt be discouraged !

This all doesnīt mean you canīt pull this off.
There are good sounding live recordings (outside). Yes you can do it with affordable equipment.
Recording and mixing is a craft that needs to be learned.
Great expensive gear can help you getting a prefered sound much more easier, but its not essential for great sounding recordings.
Your capability to play well and youīr knowledge of recording is far more important than the gear.

Take a look at some BalconyTV or Mahogany Sessions live recordings.
Thanks for support, Dirk!

I'm watching the videos on Mahogany Sessions and the quality is impeccable! I didn't know this channel! Thanks to warn, but I remain with the same doubt. Like this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t58550EGvME
I don't see microphone near him, so this song was recorded on studio too and then they lip-synch with the video?
Old 02-27-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPT View Post
Hey Trevor and Brent, thanks for the tips, but actually I don't like playback. As I said before, I'm feeling deluded, and I don't want to take this feeling to people.
Garsh, well, you did ask how they did it. If knowing spoils the illusion, maybe you also don't want to know how they make Harry Potter movies. And hot dogs.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD