The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 02-19-2019, 10:24 PM

Default Saw Christopher Cross live

He was one of my vocal heroes back in the day. He looked great for a 67 year old guy. Lots of shiny heads and gray hair in the audience. Great guitar playing and funny stories but unfortunately the soaring voice is gone. The female back up singers sang some of the high parts and his singing voice was inaudible at times. Still, the crowd showed him much love and sang along to his old hits. It was still a fun night of reminiscing. Glad I finally got the chance to see him live.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

That’s too bad about his voice (time seems to have caught up with many of our heroes). But you and the audience had a great time and that’s what it’s all about.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:39 PM

I got to see him before he put out his famous album--back in the late 70s playing college parties at UT. Have to admit, I didn't think, "this guy is going to make it big," but he sure did.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 02-20-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
That’s too bad about his voice (time seems to have caught up with many of our heroes). But you and the audience had a great time and that’s what it’s all about.
Exactly. Time will catche up with all of us.

I tried to help him by singing along but didn’t want to embarrass myself. It was just cool to see everyone standing and applauding him.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earwitness View Post
I got to see him before he put out his famous album--back in the late 70s playing college parties at UT. Have to admit, I didn't think, "this guy is going to make it big," but he sure did.
I wish I saw him live at his peak. His recorded vocals are just amazing to me. Interestingly enough, his lead solos remind me of his fellow Austin resident Eric Johnson. I did a little googling and found that he played in some of Eric’s work.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:31 AM
Musical minimalist

This is a concert I play for my clients - pretty well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kb8K0XjJto

He's one of those guys with all the talent in the world, and had his heyday for a while. I think he didn't have staying power because 1) his genre of music kind of faded away (soundtrack oriented pop ballads), and 2) he didn't have the pizazz or the "look" that seems to be a requirement these days (sad but true)

Old 02-21-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
This is a concert I play for my clients - pretty well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kb8K0XjJto

He's one of those guys with all the talent in the world, and had his heyday for a while. I think he didn't have staying power because 1) his genre of music kind of faded away (soundtrack oriented pop ballads), and 2) he didn't have the pizazz or the "look" that seems to be a requirement these days (sad but true)
Hi fitness. I have that concert in DVD.

Sad but true indeed. He didn’t have that Hollywood look but he sounded wonderful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN