The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-22-2019, 05:47 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Look fast before they fix the new owner's name is the subhead.
And I always giggle a bit when they call a place a "destination" studio. As in, "Wherever you are, you're not here."
Yeah, the "destination studio" was a '70s creation. Bands and artists were quite often on the road forty-five or more weeks per year and were expected to produce albums in their short time off the road, leading to burnout. Producer James Guercio came up with the idea of converting his Colorado ranch into a vacation destination with an attached recording studio to allow bands to get away to a rural, mountainous location that would help them relax and inspire them. Joe Walsh recorded the first album up there with his band, Barnstorm, when the studio, built in a barn, still had a dirt floor. From there, the "destination studio" concept took off.

When I was in college I lived a mile from a nice destination studio, Pyramid Recording, that hosted the Allman Brothers, Joe Walsh, and many others. In fact, the fire department building where I worked was right next door.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-22-2019, 02:34 PM

There is such a studio in Northern California that has been converted into an AirBNB. It is an amazing place with an incredible host...and definitely more on the rural side of life outside the town of Ukiah.

Sleeping in the space is a little strange...there’s not much light, tons of sound insulation, and of course its dead quiet inside (2’ thick walls). Amazing artwork made from old instruments. That being said, its a highly recommended great place if you’re in the wine country.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/196856

More than 150 records and sound tracks for movies were recorded there. And Spencer, the host, is a pianist with 7 or 8 albums to his name. He gave us a short 40 minute private concert when we stayed there. And showed his studio where he creates his artwork. Totally brilliant!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD