The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
No! It doesn't work like that! A chromatic tuner doesn't display the note it's 'expecting', it displays the note it's 'hearing'.

So, taking your example of open G, and comparing the notes to standard tuning EADGBE, you can see that you need to drop the sixth, fifth and first strings. You therefore lower the sixth until the electronic tuner shows 'D', drop the fifth until it shows 'G', and drop the first until it shows 'D' - just one whole step on each string. It's that simple. Once you've dropped those strings, it's a good idea to quickly run through all six, they will all probably need a tiny tweak to get the whole thing 'perfect'.

To get back to standard EADGBE simply reverse the process.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.
Actually, it does! I was talking (speculating) about the new Peterson tuner, and as you can see in Stomp's later post, that is exactly what the new Peterson tuner does.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
No chart needed, Peterson tuners are capable of identifying and differentiating specific notes in different octaves which makes them more than just 12 note chromatic.
They can also be set to ignore all notes except those pertinent to a given tuning.

For example DADGAD is recognized as having three notes by almost all tuners, you yourself have to know which D or A or G goes where, octave-wise, and which way to tune from wherever you are currently tuned in order to avoid overly slack or broken strings and ultimately frustration.
It can get a bit confusing if you're using several different tunings in live, high pressure situations or simply trying out new, unfamiliar tunings at home.

The exception is the Peterson, it can tell a D2 from a D3 or a D4 because it's octave savvy.
Therefore a Peterson can be set to only see six individual targets which in the case of DADGAD would be D2, A2, D3, G3, A3 & D4, these six notes can be then displayed as 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 on the Peterson.

So you only need to dial in the preset name of the tuning on the Peterson and then tune the first string until the Peterson displays "1" and the strobe image slows to a stop, likewise the other strings, 2 3 4 5 & 6.
The result will be the new, desired tuning, regardless of what you were tuned to previously.
You don't need to know the name of the note, you just have to know the number of the string, the Peterson will guide you to the correct note, it's really that simple.

If, for example, you're tuned to a standard E4 on the first string, and you choose a number-based DADGAD preset, it will indicate that you are sharp because the tuner knows that D4 is lower in pitch than E4, so you are prompted to tune down and vice versa.

It's pretty foolproof, if you have a current Peterson and want to see how it works in standard tuning, detune your guitar, select GTn from the Sweetener menu, and tune your guitar to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 (high to low).

If you want to try another tuning in this manner, PM me and I'll send you the patch which you can load into your Peterson via USB*.

*Peterson StroboClip HD, StroboPLUS HD and Stomp Classic tuners only
OK this sounds exactly like what I was hoping for. I think this is a fantastic achievement by Peterson, and I'm going to get a StroboClip HD and try it.

I see Guided Tuning as a learning tool, not a crutch. Anyone who wants to experiment in open tunings, or wants to try a song in an unusual tuning that they would otherwise pass up, can get there with assistance from this technology.

I can imagine using the Guided Tuning a few times using the numbers, then switch to the notes a few times, after which I will be familiar with the notes, e.g., after being "Guided" to open G a few times, I will know what the notes are, so from then on I could do it manually.

My only fear is that it will be difficult to get it to work. I've bought things in the past that seem fantastic, only to be frustrated at having to "Press three times to get to "Menu", hold "X" and "Y" together for two seconds, then press "Mode" with your nose" I hate things like that.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:20 PM

What happens in a couple of years when the auto-tuning thingy craps out and dies, and it inevitably will, but there are no spares available? I've seen these things on, I think it was the 2014 or 2015 Gibson electric models, and they look awfully flimsy.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
What happens in a couple of years when the auto-tuning thingy craps out and dies, and it inevitably will, but there are no spares available? I've seen these things on, I think it was the 2014 or 2015 Gibson electric models, and they look awfully flimsy.
Yes, that seems likely. I think you can resort to turning the tuners manually.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
Yes, that seems likely. I think you can resort to turning the tuners manually.
So why not learn how to do it manually now?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-22-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
So why not learn how to do it manually now?
Yes, I agree, I am no longer interested in auto-tuning.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion