The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmackie View Post
Can the dowel be gently tapped in if necessary? Seems if it is a tight fit, that might be sketchy.
Yes gently tapped in, otherwise, you would hold a small piece of sandpaper in the palm of your hand and twist the dowel in the sandpaper to reduce the diameter of the dowel until it fits snuggly.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
The Taylor endpin will most likely work. I just installed one on my Martin D Jr. Was a slight pain to install, but it was just a 6-10 min job if you count removing the strings.

Taylor puts that in their guitars? No way I'd ever put such a crude device in any instrument of mine. Say you want to add an output jack later - what kind of carnage is that nut going to leave behind?
Old 03-22-2019, 04:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

When in a jam I've had success rolling my own. If you have a drill press it just isn't that hard to do:

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 03-22-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Taylor puts that in their guitars? No way I'd ever put such a crude device in any instrument of mine. Say you want to add an output jack later - what kind of carnage is that nut going to leave behind?
Why would it leave any carnage ?

The internal nut covers any "damage" (not that anybody is ever going to look in there).

The Taylor endpin is the ideal solution.... way better than any tapered endpin.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Then you shouldn't.

Quote:
Old 03-22-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
It doesn’t leave carnage. It has points on the inside face that allow it to be gently snugged up on the endblock; they scarcely leave a mark when they come out, and the strap pin is extraordinarily secure when the pin is installed because of them.. I have a couple that move around instruments if they don’t have a pickup, and none of them are worse for the installation.

For the record, the star washer on a strapjack leaves more of a mark on the inside of the endblock.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:45 AM

The NoJac does not fit as securely as the LARRIVEE end pin. I recently received a Waterloo that had a NoJac jammed into the body of the guitar that was quite difficult to get out. They also don't look as good.

I always buy used and always remove any pickups and jacks from the guitars. Larrivee endpins are the first choice in replacements. Larrivee also offers Ivoroid pins in larger diameters, but these may not fit in your enlarged hole.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
The Taylor endpin will most likely work. I just installed one on my Martin D Jr. Was a slight pain to install, but it was just a 6-10 min job if you count removing the strings.

This is what I was going to suggest...these Taylor ones are perfect for those guitars that you pull the electronics out of.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:59 PM

-i had the same problem with a guitar i have that the person before me drilled out and i removed the pickup because it stopped working .
a friend of mine gave me a scrap piece of ebony) and i turned it on my lathe to be bigger than the hole ,
then i carefully hand sanded it with a bit of a taper , and it fits good .
( but remember a person would need your guitar to fit it properly )
I think it might not be hard for a half way decent woodworker who owns a wood lathe to accomplish -
any Hardwood could be used -thou Ebony would be traditional

I do like the stew mac solution -thou it looks like plastic !
Old 03-23-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
The Taylor endpin will most likely work.
If the collar is slightly over 5/8" it would probably work. If it's narrower than 5/8" the OP could put a slightly wider washer on the screw shank and then it would work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion