The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennyson View Post
I live in the greater Cincinnati area
Ben
Do yourself a favor and call Mark at Reno’s Music. You can make the two hour drive to Indy to play guitars or just trust him to put you in a quality piece with a generous return policy. He will get you into a Standard D-18 or if you can stretch a bit, he has several super nice customs where you get Adi tops, real 12/4 mahogany necks (no “select hardwood”, no wings), and an upgraded Geib case. The Custom Shop at Martin is definitely a step up. You get a lot of hands on work by the best craftsmen in the building. Instead of a commodity production guitar a few more Benjys and you can have a family heirloom.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:48 AM

I would not have any qualms about ordering sight unseen from one of AGF's sponsors. If you've found a make and model that typically sounds what you want, I would go with that if I wanted new for whatever reason (such as warranty) and order from a sponsor.

Having said that, when I started playing about twelve years ago in my early 50's, I had in mind the type of sound that I associated with "guitar." It took me a couple of years to realize that sound was Martin. I'm not into bluegrass, but that signature Martin sound is what I wanted. I bought a used OM-21 for a very reasonable price from the owner, a very reputable and long-time member of another guitar forum. The guitar was delivered as promised and sounded great to me. I took it to a fellow that had been playing for decades and he said, "You can spend more money, but you won't find one that sounds better." He loves the Martin sound, too.

That is still the guitar I play ten years later. Maybe I just got lucky, but if a make of guitars has that signature sound that you're after, it's hard to go wrong, in my opinion. I'm not sure spending a lot of money and time playing every guitar within driving distance is all it's cracked up to be--not for me, anyway. I can't remember much from one day to the next, much less one week to another or a month later. Others see it differently, and that's fine.

Whatever you decide, I hope you the best in finding what you want.

(By the way and off topic: there are lots of great sounds in the world of guitars. I love the typical Martin sound, but I've grown to love and appreciated Taylors, Larrivees, Gibsons, Eastmans, a local builder builder [Peter Robson], you name it.)

Last edited by Broadus; 03-19-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennyson View Post
If I am looking used would you be looking for a post 2012 d18 to have the new bracing or is that not a much of a concern?
One thing to consider is that your current guitar has a 1 11/16" nut width. If you acquire one of the newer D-18s, you'll be getting a 1 3/4" nut.

Much has been written on this forum about wide vs narrow nuts. Some guitarists are lucky, and can quickly adjust back and forth. Others have strong preferences for one or another, with finger-style players driving nut evolution these days. For myself, I'd want one of the older D-18s before they shifted to a wider nut. Indeed, I wouldn't even consider a post-2012 D-18 for that reason.

Something to think about. In an ideal world, you'd find a place where you can play D-18s with different nuts and figure out which one has greater playability for your style/hands.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I agree that you should try to get out and play as many guitars as you can, simply to get a sense of what works for you. I'd also suggest you look for used Martin guitars, as they're superb instruments that in many cases will come in below your budget limit. A good used professional quality guitar like a Martin or Taylor will give you a lot more guitar for your money than a new one.

Wade Hampton Miller
As usual Wade gives good advice.

I suggest a used D-18. If you are patient you will find one way within your budget, and will have enough left for a good flight case for it too!
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 03-19-2019, 09:33 PM

If you can fit the D-18 in your budget it is a serious contender. Also, take a look at this blue grass model. Don't think it is a cheaply made guitar because of the price, It is not.

https://www.alvarezguitars.com/guitar/md60bg/
Old 03-20-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Do yourself a favor and call Mark at Reno’s Music.
He has some nice stuff up there. I've been toying with the idea of dragging my J45 up there and seeing what kind of trade I can get on a nice 000
Old 03-20-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimski View Post
Forget your budget. Go to physical stores and play guitars. You're better served spending 1000 Dollars on travel finding a perfect (for you) 800 Dollar guitar than following advice from folks here and buying unheard, unplayed, online for 1800 Dollars.
I definitely agree on the part about playing guitars in person, but I consider this particular breakdown much too extreme. The difference between an $800 and a $1800 guitar is substantial. $800 will buy you very few gems and A LOT of ho-hum guitars, but $1800 will buy you a whole bunch of killer bluegrass guitars, including a D-18. And for bluegrass, you simply cannot go wrong with a D-18 or something along those lines. I would even go so far and say if you like the sound of bluegrass, there is virtually no way you will not like the sound of a D-18.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 03-22-2019, 12:08 PM

So many options in that price range. Don't forget you can play bluegrass on an OM or OOO too. Play as many guitars as you can of all brands and sizes before you decide. Don't jump for a quick fix, figure out what makes you really happy. What is your Taylor not doing for you, as was previously asked? That will help you figure out what you want. I'd recommend playing at least 10-20 guitars in the your interest range and getting a sense of the qualities you are looking for. Used guitars tell you so much about themselves. Recently found a Guild 1975 D-35 in New Orleans for well under $1000 and it sounded great. There's a similar one at Guitar Center Columbus for way low price, prob roughly treated. Maybe worth the drive. Do a search in gbase.com for guitars under $2500 there are over 180. See if any are in driving distance and go play them. Same on reverb.com.

Good luck and enjoy the conquest!

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 03-22-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
The general notion is that the D-18 is the ideal bluegrass flatpicking/lead guitar while the D-28 is the ideal bluegrass backup/rhythm guitar. ....
Sorry folks. Nothing else to see here. This is the answer.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I'll offer this since you might find it helpful.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...c_Guitar_Sound

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-22-2019, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
To me bluegrass = Martin. I would not be hesitant getting a Martin online. You can get either a D28 or a D18 for under $2K from one of the AGF sponsors. Your mission is to find out which one of those you prefer. Good luck.
That's the problem with just looking at one brand. Martins are great bluegrass guitars, but there are other out there as well. I had my heart set on a Martin for a bluegrass canon a couple of weeks ago. But I went and directly compared that to the various Martins, Taylors, Gibsons, Guilds, and Breedloves. The bare bones $1699 Breedlove USA Concerto Sun Light E flat-out BLEW then all out of the water for volume, tightness, and midrange punch. It's friggin amazing and I'd put it up there equal-to or above any other dreadnaught or other guitar I've ever picked-up for bluegrass. It blows my mind every time I pick it up. And that's not just because I'm still in the honeymoon phase. I've owned enough guitars (200+) in my lifetime to know what I'm looking for and what works for what situation. No Martin I've ever played is a canon on the level of this understated-looking Breedlove Concerto. It's going to be a BLAST playing with people who underestimate this thing and watching their jaws drop when I start playing. Mine still drops every time I pick it up.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:26 PM

Great advice from condition1 and Brooklyn bob. Simple
Old 03-22-2019, 02:29 PM

At bluegrass festivals and events like Merlefest I have seen more Martins and
some Collings guitars than other brands but generally you want a dreadnought
sized guitar. There are dealers that work via Fedex, UPS etc in the states that
have great return policies. Just follow the unpacking instructions (often a 24
hour wait when it is cold in parts of the country) and don't ding the instrument.
Sweetwater is one that comes to mind. Maybe check the policy at Elderly Instruments. You have gotten great advice from others.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:15 PM

Yeah, dont ding the instrument! Lol..., lots of anguish and despair!
Old 03-22-2019, 09:19 PM

You are right about the great advice. After researching its turns out I live within about 1.5 hours from a forum sponsor who has several new and used D18’s to play along with a great deal. I hope to post some pics after I play them next week and make a choice. It’s crazy to think what I would have paid if I had never joined these guitar forums. Thanks again

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion