The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-21-2019, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X5-OS info?

Anyone know info on this model? I assume it's an older travel size model. Came across one and am curious if anyone on here has owned or played one.

Thanks in advance.
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 03-21-2019, 11:56 AM

I believe it is, essentially, a thinner version of the old X7 (round center-hole) mode - I believe otherwise the specs are identical. I have one of old X7 center-hole models. My only caveat is that the neck is hollow (no truss rod), and in my experience (with my X7) this can create some noise, particularly when strumming, and I find I get better results with medium or heavy strings rather than lights, but YMMV.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:24 PM

Thinking not a center hole. (os) might just mean offset soindhole.. might just be first offset model.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-21-2019, 08:05 PM

They made an X5-OS (offset soundhole) for a coulple years.

Basically a smaller X7, but no truss rod. I think the Amicus body might use the same mold as the old X5. If not, it's pretty close.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-22-2019, 07:28 AM

Here are a couple of old ads on an Emerald X05, center hole and offset hole,
with some dimensions listed.
http://guitarless.com/2009/11/travel...erald-x5-life/
https://reverb.com/item/2437394-emer...s-black-carbon
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 03-22-2019 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:44 AM

Cool...didn't remember the center hole X5...nice find
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-22-2019, 12:55 PM

It's interesting the center hole X5 has a 25.5" scale and the offset hole X5 has a 24" scale. I wonder if the 25.5" scale was custom or standard on that center hole X5 ?

Found another center hole X5 ad, it also has a 25.5" scale length.
https://reverb.com/item/2158680-emer...r-w-pickup-red
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 03-22-2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: added link
Old 03-26-2019, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhelan56 View Post
Anyone know info on this model? I assume it's an older travel size model. Came across one and am curious if anyone on here has owned or played one.

Thanks in advance.
I picked one up on Reverb a couple of years ago thinking it would make a great size for travel. While I did the love the compactness of the size, I did not care for the sound and wound up returning it. The X7-OS is a much better sounding guitar.

Mitch
Old 03-26-2019, 05:48 PM

I bought and returned one from MacNichols (did I spell that right?). Not quite as good an acoustic sound as a plywood Gibson thinbody archtop. But if you want something small you can hear, it does the job.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-26-2019, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkatz View Post
I picked one up on Reverb a couple of years ago thinking it would make a great size for travel. While I did the love the compactness of the size, I did not care for the sound and wound up returning it. The X7-OS is a much better sounding guitar.

Mitch
Mitch, I was interested in an X-5 a while back, but I've never seen one. What are the differences in sound between the X5 and X7?
Old 03-26-2019, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Mitch, I was interested in an X-5 a while back, but I've never seen one. What are the differences in sound between the X5 and X7?
From observation in the CF sub-forum for a while, I think it's probably safe to say that if you played a current X7 alongside the older, discontinued X5 model, there's no way you'd ever pick the X5.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-26-2019, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
From observation in the CF sub-forum for a while, I think it's probably safe to say that if you played a current X7 alongside the older, discontinued X5 model, there's no way you'd ever pick the X5.
I understand that, David... I just wanted to hear more about why. First time I saw the X-5 online, I thought it might be a perfect travel guitar. Doesn't seem like anyone thinks that though.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Small guitars are a compromise. How much sound and tone are you willing to give up for size? Guitars can get too small to give a satisfying sound (think: Martin Backpacker ). The previous generation X7 impressed me with the sound a parlor size guitar could deliver. The X5, not so much. I still haven't gotten my hands on the newest version X7, but it seems to get raves.

Before I found my way to carbon fiber guitars, I was looking for a competent smaller wood guitar that would travel well. I played a Baby Taylor - didn't care for it at all. Then I played the new-at-the-time GSmini and bought one; much better by comparison.

I think the X5 suffered by comparison to the X7. It wasn't a bad guitar, but physics and size matters - you can hit a point of diminishing returns.

While getting a bone saddle and a set up (on the RainSong Shorty I had at the time) at MacNichol Guitars in Salt Lake City, Michael had an X5 on the wall and invited me to play it. It was OK, but it didn't make me want to put down my Shorty... that task was left to the X7.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
While getting a bone saddle and a set up (on the RainSong Shorty I had at the time) at MacNichol Guitars in Salt Lake City, Michael had an X5 on the wall and invited me to play it. It was OK, but it didn't make me want to put down my Shorty... that task was left to the X7.
Funny, but I had the exact opposite situation: My shorty made me want to put down my old (center-hole) X7. It's so much more responsive, expressive, and I can dig in without having to worry about the 'thump' I get from the hollow neck of my X7.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:10 PM
Guest 928

The 5 was a pace setter, for its time. All the CF makers have made incredible advancements in the last 10 years. The originals will do what they were intended to do, but new models do so much more. It's hard to keep up.
The difference between my first and second 10 was stunning, as was the difference between my 2nd and 3rd 10. Evolution at work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber