The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-10-2019, 09:38 AM

Default Garage Band Question

I'm just starting to try to familiarize myself wit GB. I'm an absolute beginner and already facing a challenge. I recorded some finger picking with the metronome and during the playback the guitar is SO faint and the metronome is SO loud. I've messed with the volume(s) in preferences, etc. but can't figure it out. I thought the recording level was set ok, so I'm stumped. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Larry K.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
I'm just starting to try to familiarize myself wit GB. I'm an absolute beginner and already facing a challenge. I recorded some finger picking with the metronome and during the playback the guitar is SO faint and the metronome is SO loud. I've messed with the volume(s) in preferences, etc. but can't figure it out. I thought the recording level was set ok, so I'm stumped. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Larry K.
I neglected to add that I was simply playing into the built-in mic on my mac air.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:44 AM

Sorry, misread your post...

Last edited by MikeMcKee; 03-10-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:44 AM

I'm guessing that the metronome was being played out through the speakers on your laptop. If yes, route playback through headphones or earbuds.

But the quality of recording through a laptop mic will never be of any quality.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:56 AM

Default Thanks Mike and Runamuck

Mike, i tried this and no luck. I think Runamuck hit the nail on the head. It must have played through the computer mic. Duh! I told you I was a beginner! Guess it's time to buy a mic and a guitar interface?
Many thanks.
Larry K
Old 03-10-2019, 11:27 AM

Yes, if you don't want the metronome at all, just click on the icon and it will mute it. If you do want it, then as said, you should go in the sound preferences and route the output through the headphone output. If you have headphones, you'd be all set to listen to playback through there. If not, then I guess you'd have to go in and reset the output to the built in speakers to listen.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:32 PM

You can go to Garageband preferences and there you will find the metronome icon and you can adjust the tone and volume.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD