The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-07-2002, 04:00 PM

Question Microphones: A Sound Opinion Needed!

OK, I bit the bullet and bought a Boss BR-8. Yeah, I know, it's just a beginning, but, I gotta start somewhere.

The next thing that I've got in the works is to upgrade it from 100 MB to 250 MB Zip Drive. Along with that, I need to get a mic. I need some recommendations that this poor boy might be able to afford. I have been looking at a MARSHALL STUDIO MIC MXL2003 on EBAY, but, I have no idea if this would be a good one as a starter to mike up an 355.

Any suggestions would be welcomed!
Old 03-07-2002, 05:34 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Well, everyone knows my opinion of the Marshall MXL2003 but you. They are tired of hearing what I think (probably with good reason). But I'll re-iterate it to you:

My review of the Marshall MXL2003 Mic

Since I wrote the review, I've seen them for a lower price. Hope that helps,

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-07-2002, 10:19 PM
.tom the übergeek

I am 99% sure that the BR-8 does not have Phantom power. I love condenser mics but you need power. I also do not care for large diaphram mics on acoustics. They are really nice for vocals but...get muddy on a good Dread. I suggest the AKG C1000S. It does double duty and takes a 9V.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:56 AM

Hi Bob (W5BLT),

I don't have any personal experience with the MXL2003, but have heard from others that it's a good mic. If you want more help, this forum has a microphone section with a lot of good info and opinions. Use the search function and you'll come up with a lot.

As an aside...I hate to ever contradict anyone, but I must say that I respectfully disagree with our fine mod, trpullen. I happen to really like LD condensers for acoustic guitars; I use a Neumann TLM103 and a Rode NT1000 and am very pleased with the results. The problem is, recording is just like anything else - everyone has their own opinions about what they prefer. But that doesn't make anyone wrong; as long as you are happy with your recording, it's good.
Old 03-10-2002, 07:20 AM

Well, I did my research and finally decided what I want.

I'm getting a pair of AKG-C1000S's. From everything I've read and researched, it's one of the best home studio mic's available in MY price range.

TRPULLEN: You're right, the BR-8 does not have Phantom power, but, the AKG's can operate off of a 9vdc battery inside them until I afford an external phantom power source.
Old 03-12-2002, 07:08 AM
More guitars than talent

We just got a couple of AKG CS1000's for our choir mics at church. Wow! Incredible sound. Got em for $150 each at MusiciansFriend (with free headphones too!). My best buy yet.

01 Taylor 814ce, 05 Taylor T5 Maple, 78 Ovation 10th Anniversary, Larrivee L03-12RE

98 American strat, 06 Gibson LP Supreme, 05 Gadow Custom Single, 05 Gadow Custom Hollow, 04 Agile Goldtop, 05 Variax 600, 03 Splatter Strat, 04 Homebuilt Tele, Dillion John Lennon model, Gibson Flying V, Agile Valkyrie SG

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification