The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-09-2002, 08:52 AM

Default Pick-up the world?

Has anyone used this pick-up and what is your opinion of:
1- The accuracy of acoustic sound?
2-difficulties in use of?

I have a fishman pro eq platinum. will this work well with the putw?
Matthew 6:33
(formerly cc)
Old 02-09-2002, 06:33 PM

I've heard one but not played or installed one. Sounds wonderful.
Old 02-09-2002, 10:58 PM

I'm assuming you are asking about their film soundboard pickup rather than their new UST or bridge pin pickup. Like other soundboard pickups such as the iBeam and B-Band's AST, this pickup has a sound that more closely resembles an external mic than the typical UST or soundhole pickup. They don't have that unnatural attack or 'quack' that USTs have. Finding the correct location to get this sound can be time consuming. In the wrong spot, you can get anywhere from a tubby hollow sound to a thin phasey sound. The film also has a lower output than UST which makes a quality preamp an absolute must. Your Fishman should be good enough. Sound is subjective so you might like this pickup better than anything else or you might like something else better.

The best thing about PUTW is their customer support and satisfaction. They have a great money back guarantee. If you buy it and decide for whatever reason it doesn't work, send it back and they refund your money in full. Their support is the best I've ever dealt with, even better than Taylor! (I know, heresy).

GL
Old 02-14-2002, 07:43 AM

Hi chrisc, go to
http://www.taylorguitarforum.com/for...&threadid=2417

I play the PUTW #27 with your same pre amp live every week(with a 410MA maple dread). It's awesome, easy to install yourself, and sounds great..very true to the guitars voice. All for $100-best sound deal!
Old 02-23-2002, 12:06 PM

I have heard and read nothing but glowing praise for PUTW and their Model #27. I am a staunch no "e" guy (especially when it comes to the Fishman prefix in the side), but am seriously considering installing a Model #27 in my Custom K14c when it arrives in the next several weeks. Straightforward install, true acoustic sound, and reversable with no damage or alteration to the guitar... what could be better?
Old 02-25-2002, 09:43 AM
mstorie

Thumbs up

I use a #27 in my K14c. It sounds wonderful. I actually have a Baggs dual source system. I wasn't happy with the feedback on the internal mic.. and I used alot of it to get the overtones on my guitar. I spoke and emailed David Enke at PUTW and posed my dilemma. He recommended a #27 in place of of the internal mic so I would get the woody overtones and be able to blend in the SBT pickup under the bridge. I installed per Daves instructions but felt the EMG preamp for the #27 was a little noisy. At Christmastime, I drove down to La Veta (I'm in Denver), and left my guitar with Dave just to get his input. He spent some time on it and coaxed even more tone out of it. I was quite pleased before taking it to him. Now I'm really sold. Dave is a great guy. Customer service like no other pickup company out there. He really liked the sound of the K14c and actually wanted to record some of his music with it. That impressed me. He's always working on new pickup designs and perfecting that which he's already created. Two thumbs up!
Old 02-25-2002, 11:20 AM

mstorie,

Did David address the noise issue? While at NAMM, I spent some time with David and we ended up trying the same little mod with my Fishman OBB, replacing the internal mic with the PUTW #27. The output was quite low and I also had way too much noise but David couldn't figure a way around it so we ended up taking it out.

GL
Old 02-25-2002, 08:50 PM
mstorie

Thats interesting. Was this the recent winter NAMM? Are you referring to white noise? It seems to be caused by two things. 1) successfully securing the pickup and brass piece 2)Some EMG preamps that are a little noisy. I still get a little white noise, but I can tolerate it and adjust the output of the signal from the preamp if needed. I'm certainly no expert with the Fishman OOB, but I'm sure Dave has successfully installed this with your type of system. I've seen others on RMMGA who've been sucessful with your setup.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the reply mstorie. Yes, I do mean white noise and it was the recent NAMM. If anyone tried doing this mod with a Fishman OBB, that's news to both David and me. David has done this mod sucessfully with the Baggs Dual source on numerous occassions but my Fishman OBB was the first to try this mod. There are some people who have replaced the existing Fishman Matrix UST with the #27 pickup that reported good results. I tried this also, but the output was low and again noisy (not the fault of the pickup, the Fishman OBB only has about 8 dB of internal gain, not nearly enough for SBT type pickups but enough for the Matrix which has an extremely hot output). Also the brass lead was definitely as secure as you can get without permanently glueing it so that definitely wasn't a factor. I should also say what I consider noisy, most people won't. I hear white noise or hiss quite easily.

GL
Old 03-12-2002, 07:41 AM

I'll tell you guys what, I use a #27 PUTW in conjunction with my Onboard Blender system on my 714ce. I had the PUTW wired passively to the jack so the PUTW and the Fishman system are in stereo. I use a Stereo Y cable and go into a preamp for the PUTW then both go to a NanoCompressor. Then the PUTW goes to a Parametric EQ to a channel on the board. The Fishman system goes from the Nono compressor to the board. I run my onboard blender with the Mic and the Matrix blended evenly..Notch out the woof feeback and then sweeten more on the board. Low cut in on BOTH the PUTW and FISHMAN channels and Mids cut at the appropriate unnatural frequencies. I have a Loud stage monitor that Is about 6 feet away across the stage. That is the KEY, otherwise no matter what, you will get feedback..but this works fine for solo acoustic.....I'm telling you, It's hard to imagine and more natural acoustic sound..I have never heard one that sounds better then mine with a plug in rig. I have spent time and $$ to get this right, and I believe if you know about EQ, and are committed to experimenting with Gear you can get it. Incidentally, if i run my system with ONLY the Onboard blender in the same way, i STILL get a GREAT natural tone. There is always more MIC the Undersaddele sound whether i'm using just the onboard or both systems together. Just have to notch out honky frequencies.
Old 03-12-2002, 04:24 PM
mstorie

Interesting... I'm not familiar with the Fishman Onboard Blender. Is it mono out from the endpin jack by default? Did you wire in your own stereo jack for the PUTW? Baggs Dual-source systems have a TRS output to automatically send the UST and mic signals separately. I would've considered wiring the PUTW in passive and leaving my mic and UST in, but knowing that the Baggs system is already in stereo, I dont see what other options I had. I'm also less susceptible to feedback without the internal mic. I'm just using a Raven Labs PMB-1 to mix the two signals before feeding and Ultrasound Amp. I've been wondering lately what things would sound like if I would have all three pickups in the system, but I wouldn't know how to wire it. I liked the "woodiness" of the mic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification