The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 09:05 PM

Default Gigs and Covid

So I got a call from a brewery to do a short show, basically opening up for some other entertainment, next Friday. It's an outdoor thing in their "beer garden" (did I spell that right?). They are doing social distancing, spacing out tables, staff wearing masks, sanitizer, etc. The money is ok. I can do a set and be out of there before folks get drunk (7 - 7:45 kind of thing). Not a lot of gear required for this one. I sure could use a gig about now. But I'm hesitant.

What do you think? Too early? Tables are spaced away from the performance stage. It's outdoors. I'll wear a mask at all times except when performing. It's a cool place, I gigged there regularly in the past. It's all adults who have been well behaved in the past. Not the typical rowdy bar scene. More "beer snobs", or maybe I should say "beer aficionados" than a party scene. Owners seem responsible, they are good guys and have treated me well in the past. Place is sparkling clean. Think more of a winery vibe than a bar vibe.

I'm awful tempted, but hesitant. What do you guys think? One concern is they have been really good to me in the past, and I worry turning this down could effect future gigs. By no means did they say that, and is probably my own conjecture. Chances are I could probably turn it down and be just fine. I just wanted to run it by my bretheren of the 6 string faith for some perspective.

Your input would be appreciated.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:10 PM

We did an outdoors gig a couple of weeks ago in a park. Maybe 100 people spread out safely. I felt ok about it and I'm not a 'hoaxer' by any means.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 08-06-2020, 09:14 PM

Covid discussion is off limits, please.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

My opinion is that it's too early, but I'm also in an area of the country that's been hit really hard and is continuing to struggle. Not sure how Georgia is lately. I wouldn't worry too much about them not calling you again if you turned them down either. Like you said, probably just getting in your own head about it, and if they really did hold it against you, then maybe that's not a place you'd want to continue playing anyway.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
Covid discussion is off limits, please.
Oh yea, nothing to do with politics. In complete agreement. Just looking for advice to take a gig or turn it down. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:30 PM

Your age and general health will play a part.

People may think you are rude but keep your distancing even from the staff.
You will not be able to socialize much and will want to leave asap.
BYOB [water]
Tips may be another problem.
How do you get the money clean?

There are people doing these gigs and it is up to you if you feel safe doing them.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:33 PM

After having three close friends get the virus and go through absolute hell with it (one died), no way would I do a gig at this time.

Gotta play it smart.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
My opinion is that it's too early, but I'm also in an area of the country that's been hit really hard and is continuing to struggle. Not sure how Georgia is lately. I wouldn't worry too much about them not calling you again if you turned them down either. Like you said, probably just getting in your own head about it, and if they really did hold it against you, then maybe that's not a place you'd want to continue playing anyway.
Thanks for that. They are good folks, I don't think they are like that at all. Being a musician, you know, we feel like we need to protect our gigs. I'm 99% sure I could tell them I'm not ready and they would just tell me let us know when you are. But there is always some up and coming kid..... You know how it goes.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
After having three close friends get the virus and go through absolute hell with it (one died), no way would I do a gig at this time.

Gotta play it smart.
Interesting. Thanks for your perspective. Maybe this is what I need to hear now.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:00 PM
Eric Skye

I wouldn't take any gig now. I'm gonna just practice and write for year or two. I'll be a little grayer next time I hit the road, but I should have a bunch of new tunes
Old 08-06-2020, 11:21 PM

Default No foul here...

This discussion seems totally appropriate for this forum. Gigging live is the primary reason many of us, and most of the best, picked up a guitar in the first place. Avoiding this topic would be like having a forum on fly fishing with no talk about rivers.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 08-06-2020, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

I would do it, given the parameters you described... but, YOU are the one who's going out there or not...

I'd say TRUST YOURSELF... and if you decide not to do it, just talk with the folks at the Brewery and explain how you're feeling, that it's just too soon for you. I bet they'll understand completely...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-07-2020, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

I’m 73 and a diabetic. I’m still social-distancing, I wear a mask on the rare occasions I go out to buy food and other necessities. My take is that the risk is not so much about how I behave - I’m satisfied that I take all necessary precautions - it’s more about the unpredictable behaviour of others.

My band just lost our one remaining gig of 2020 - an outdoor event in September - through the organisers cancelling. That’s every gig since February this year lost and gone.

I won’t be doing any gigs in 2020, and I’ll think very carefully before taking any for the first few months of 2021. My life is worth far more to me, and to my wife, than the few quid and the kick I get from strutting my stuff.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 08-07-2020 at 03:13 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

I'm 72, and I'm speaking about my experiences in the UK.
I have had cancer treatment on my throat, pneumonia which permanently damaged my lungs and a few other parts wearing out like an old Ford.

i received "the letter" from the government advising me that i was vulnerable and to isolate, which I have done whilst exercising and gardening as sensibly as possible.

I have run a twice monthly Acoustic Music club for 14 years, but I stopped it on March 10th although lockdown didn't happen here until 23rd - two weeks too late it seems.

Lockdown has been reduced for most things but masks and social distancing is mandatory. No gigs, concerts, plays etc as yet.

Pubs and restaurants are open but under distancing rules only -and we are already seeing the numbers go up.

I am planning a socially distanced "Garden Party" for my club regulars on the 22nd of this month.
rules limit us to 30 souls, and my wife will be the "toilet" attendant.
Most of my membership are over retirement age, but the guest list it now full with a small waiting list.

I am confident that my guests will act responsibly, but who knows about their children?

A walk through town yesterday showed that the teens and twenties are blatantly ignoring the dangers and the rules.
There is no way we have the facility to police this.

I believe that this danger will exist for at least another two years and maybe five.

If I get it, I'm dead - simples.

I just wanted to beat my Dad who died at 75, but life is just more dangerous now.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 08-07-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:05 AM

I’m in your general area. I did a full band gig July 4 at a club in Jasper (Rocco’s)
and I was a little apprehensive. We took the gig because this venue has been a regular for us for years, it has a large stage to spread out, good ventilation behind the stage blowing out onto the audience and they taped a line on the dance floor 6 or 8 feet out.

Put it all together and we thought the risk level was acceptable.

Did an outdoor gig 2 weeks later, nearest audience was 30 yards away, no problem.

That said, with current conditions I would pass on indoor gigs right now, outdoors ok with precautions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion