The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-04-2020, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

We lost electrical power In Virginia Beach for a few hours, fortunately temperature was only in the low 70s at the time. Electricity came back on before temperature went up, sunshine and wind died down by about 10.

Dominion power as website says over 300,000 people in Southeastern Virginia still without electrical power.

My wife showed me a video of mobile home park in the Carolinas totally devastated, with some loss of life, at least one person
Old 08-04-2020, 11:42 AM

This one seems to ripping up the coast and making a turn inland. I'm so glad I live west of the mountains but feel for you all. Every year we worry about our elderly parents in Florida.

PS: I lived in a trailer for the first 12 years of my life so I feel for those people. I remember I could hear the rain on the metal roof and feel the walls bow whenever it was windy. I suspect that without a proper foundation (like ours had) that the wind can just pick them up and toss them.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:45 PM

Eastern Mass is getting a lot of strong winds now. Many small branches down.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:38 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
We lost electrical power In Virginia Beach for a few hours, fortunately temperature was only in the low 70s at the time. Electricity came back on before temperature went up, sunshine and wind died down by about 10.

Dominion power as website says over 300,000 people in Southeastern Virginia still without electrical power.
Yep, my power in Kempsville dropped right after you posted this and stayed down until this morning.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-05-2020, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

My daughter lives in Carolina Beach (just east of Wilmington) and they got hit pretty hard Monday night. She and her husband only lost a few roof shingles and had some minor leaks, but some of the places in their condo development lost all of the siding on a side or two of their places. This is their third year in a row and this season hasn't even heated up yet.

By the time it got up to us in the Philly area it was high winds and tornado warnings a little east of us. We just got huge buckets of rain for a few hours and then lost power midday. It came back on about 8 last night, so I can't complain at all. A lot of folks got it waaaaay worse.

-Ray
Old 08-05-2020, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Half inch of rain and some pretty strong gusts of wind yesterday afternoon. Ive seen reports of rotted trees & limbs coming down around town, with associated power outages. Nothing in immediate area of our home in Western Massachusetts.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:02 AM

Power went down Tuesday afternoon, finally came back on last night...
Old 08-06-2020, 03:27 PM

Ironically, we left FL a few weeks ago and came up to our place in CT. Guess what happened? 600,000 outages.
I post this from a hotel that miraculously has power. It's day 3 without power in our town. I don't think we'll get it back for several more days. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:04 PM

Where do they find the names for these storms? Why not Hurricane Mike or Johnny or Billy? Anything wrong with Hurricane Cindy or Debbie or even Scott O?
Old 08-07-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
Where do they find the names for these storms? Why not Hurricane Mike or Johnny or Billy? Anything wrong with Hurricane Cindy or Debbie or even Scott O?
I think that maybe they’ve already used some of the names.....for past storms!
Old 08-07-2020, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Been out of power and Internet since Tuesday afternoon. Cell service is very poor, you get a signal for a little while and then it drops off for hours. But 5 miles away things are just fine. Unfortunately my home and office are out and it looks like they will be for several more days. Happy to have a generator at home.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
Ironically, we left FL a few weeks ago and came up to our place in CT. Guess what happened? 600,000 outages.
I post this from a hotel that miraculously has power. It's day 3 without power in our town. I don't think we'll get it back for several more days. I hope I'm wrong.
Sorry to hear that. Have you considered getting a cottage in the mountains next to a lake somewhere in Colorado or Montana?
Old 08-07-2020, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
I just left your neighborhood, Larry. There’s a huge tree down blocking Lovely Street just north of you. They were looking at it this morning but nothing this afternoon. I see a lot of assessment going on and not much Repair…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic