The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-25-2020, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

This is VERY intriguing. I would hope they don't hobble the Looper with a short record time like the Play acoustic or other devices. Loopers need to be able to record a lot longer for my needs. But all those features are still cool in one amp. I would probably buy one today.

Anybody know what the price point will be?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-26-2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
My concern about the listed specs is the great disparity between the -3 dB spec at 80 Hz compared to the -10 dB spec at 46 Hz. When comparing the listed specs of most products, I've never seen this large a frequency-range difference in the flat to usable bass response from -3 dB to -10 dB.
Is it possible with a closed-box design?

Example of Beyma 10BR60 10" response

With a Bass reflex, you can tune the port resonance low but the low-end roll-off is sharp due to the port resonance. (90% of PA-amp on the market)

With a close box design you will follow the low end roll-off of the speaker which can go really low in frequency for large speaker cone.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 07-26-2020, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I don’t see the point in this. The auto anti feedback is nice but I feel that a JBL and a ‘play acoustic’ would be a much better purchase.
If designed right, something similar to this can be extremely useful for me. I have to juggle multiple batteries, tonnes of cables and a few amps + stands in a typical outdoor session. Having a powerful all-in-one that acts somehow also as a monitor makes the logistics easier. Granted. the JBL Eon One Compact was very close as well to my ideal device, but the tone I heard in many videos just didn't appeal to me, sounded quite boxy and cheap.

Last edited by necrome; 07-26-2020 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
the JBL Eon One Compact was very close as well to my ideal device, but the tone I heard in many videos just didn't appeal to me, sounded quite boxy and cheap.
The JBL eon one compact does not sound cheap. The slight boxiness is easily EQed out by cutting at 2 KHz.

I play more the JBL eon one compact that the AH4x4.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 07-26-2020, 05:04 AM

Quote:
If designed right, something similar to this can be extremely useful for me. I have to juggle multiple batteries, tonnes of cables and a few amps + stands in a typical outdoor session. Having a powerful all-in-one that acts somehow also as a monitor makes the logistics easier. Granted. the JBL Eon One Compact was very close as well to my ideal device, but the tone I heard in many videos just didn't appeal to me, sounded quite boxy and cheap.
What would be your dream rig Necrome?
What do you actually need to busk?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 07-26-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
What would be your dream rig Necrome?
What do you actually need to busk?
Hey Cuki, my dream rig would be a battery-powered tower system like the Bose L1C that has digital EQ capabilities of the Eon One Compact and harmony functions built-in like this TC Helicon V100 here all within 12kgs (26lbs).
It may be physically impossible right now because something like that would likely go up to 16kgs or more. I would even go for a Bose S1 Pro that has a mid EQ knob but Bose is notoriously slow in updating their product line.

Ideals aside, the V100 seems pretty close to what I'm looking for, except it doesn't have a stock battery solution. I've been researching for portable power stations but have no idea if those will work, especially since I lack the electrical knowhow.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey Cuki, my dream rig would be a battery-powered tower system like the Bose L1C that has digital EQ capabilities of the Eon One Compact and harmony functions built-in like this TC Helicon V100 here all within 12kgs (26lbs).
It may be physically impossible right now because something like that would likely go up to 16kgs or more. I would even go for a Bose S1 Pro that has a mid EQ knob but Bose is notoriously slow in updating their product line.

Ideals aside, the V100 seems pretty close to what I'm looking for, except it doesn't have a stock battery solution. I've been researching for portable power stations but have no idea if those will work, especially since I lack the electrical knowhow.
Jonfields45, an engineer active on this forum recommends this for portable power:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KPYSN3S...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 07-26-2020, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
This is VERY intriguing. I would hope they don't hobble the Looper with a short record time like the Play acoustic or other devices. Loopers need to be able to record a lot longer for my needs. But all those features are still cool in one amp. I would probably buy one today.

Anybody know what the price point will be?
Scroll near the bottom of the linked page and click on the "Show more ..." link to open more information on this amp. The looper time as mentioned in the Harmony V100 Product page is 1.5 minutes:

From that page:
Looper
1.5 minutes loop time

Unlimited overdub

Input can be set to guitar only, vocal only or all

Loop time sets Echo tempo (except Slap Echo style)

Silent erase with Stop switch (programmable to footswitches)
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 07-26-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is it possible with a closed-box design?

Example of Beyma 10BR60 10" response

With a Bass reflex, you can tune the port resonance low but the low-end roll-off is sharp due to the port resonance. (90% of PA-amp on the market)

With a close box design you will follow the low end roll-off of the speaker which can go really low in frequency for large speaker cone.
Thanks, Cuki, I do hope the listed specs are correct for the V100.

Regarding the closed box design, this is also known as an acoustic suspension speaker correct? As you've indicated, this design can get very low in its frequency output and it's what many home stereo speakers were way back when as they could reproduce the human range of hearing using moderate-sized enclosures. I think the drawback of the closed box/acoustic suspension design is that it isn't as efficient as the bass reflex speaker design?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-26-2020, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The JBL is battery powered and can also power a TC Play Acoustic.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Regarding the closed box design, this is also known as an acoustic suspension speaker correct? As you've indicated, this design can get very low in its frequency output and it's what many home stereo speakers were way back when as they could reproduce the human range of hearing using moderate-sized enclosures. I think the drawback of the closed box/acoustic suspension design is that it isn't as efficient as the bass reflex speaker design?
Yes and yes, but when they measure the bandwidth they probably sine sweep the speaker so the amp has all the power available to drive a single low frequency...

Anyway, Behringer is really good for "full featured" entry level product that eventually don't sound as good as the similar featured twice more expansive brand name product.

I don't say they make "bad product" but you have what you pay for. That's why I am still thinking pairing a TC play acoustic with a good speaker is probably the way to go.

my 2 cents,
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 07-26-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
Ooh - that looks sweet! "Designed and engineered in Canada" I assumed means "assembled in ______stan/esia"? Under 30 lbs, too. As someone who works mostly solo, I'd be interested!
TC Helicon is a Music Tribe company, so I would assume it's built in their factory in Behringer City, China.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-26-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I don't say they make "bad product" but you have what you pay for. That's why I am still thinking pairing a TC play acoustic with a good speaker is probably the way to go.
The speaker is a Tannoy, which is now owned by Behringer.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-26-2020, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes and yes, but when they measure the bandwidth they probably sine sweep the speaker so the amp has all the power available to drive a single low frequency...

Anyway, Behringer is really good for "full featured" entry level product that eventually don't sound as good as the similar featured twice more expansive brand name product.

my 2 cents,
Cuki

Cuki, do you think that one would achieve a better sound by just buying a TC Play Acoustic and plug it directly into a (already owned) QSC CP8?
Old 07-26-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
The speaker is a Tannoy, which is now owned by Behringer.
I did not say the opposite.

In post n°11 I wrote:

Quote:
TC-Helicon uses Tannoy-Music Group chinese made speakers.
I still think an italian made speaker sounds better... But I am european, so I am biased.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification