The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-02-2019, 11:53 AM

There is a shop not too far from where I live that has at least 4 transacoustic Yamahas on the racks - I believe both the LL and LS(!), FG and FS - this store has close relations with the Yamaha rep, and we’re in the Pac Rim shipping area, so I kind of feel for those stranded on the N American continent (humor), with less exposure to this new line. I have yet to try any because I’m drawn to a dry wood acoustic sound, but prefer the lighter built tops of the FG/FS, and/but find the LL and FG too large on the lower bout.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

So, what does the Yamaha LL-TA TransAcoustic sound like?

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-02-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
So, what does the Yamaha LL-TA TransAcoustic sound like?

Good demo, thanks for posting this. Talk about value for the money. Having owned 3 LL16’s, the LL-TA without the reverb and chorus electronics, the quality of rosewood (and African derivative mahogany) on the back of the instruments has been very good quality. The 5 ply neck should last for decades - very stable but not thin profile.

Enjoy your new LL-TA!

Last edited by Jaden; 09-02-2019 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 08-09-2020, 10:50 AM

Do you guys know what pickup they use in these? I've been considering adding to the ac3m that I just bought. I need another rosewood guitar because I've 3 all solid wood guitars with mahogany back and sides and I need something that gets those rosewood overtones. My buddy has the f g model and it sounds good. But just not sure what you get when you plug it in. And for me I need a 50/50 between sound and good unplugged and plugged in.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernslope View Post
Do you guys know what pickup they use in these? I've been considering adding to the ac3m that I just bought. I need another rosewood guitar because I've 3 all solid wood guitars with mahogany back and sides and I need something that gets those rosewood overtones. My buddy has the f g model and it sounds good. But just not sure what you get when you plug it in. And for me I need a 50/50 between sound and good unplugged and plugged in.
SRT undersaddle
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 08-09-2020, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Here is my September 2019 review of my Yamaha LL-TA TransAcoustic:

Read NGD thread here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=557098

My lead comment from the NGD thread:

Last night, I played my just-received 2019 Yamaha LL-TA TransAcoustic both acoustically and plugged-in. This is an impeccably-crafted, Made In China, $999 instrument with solid torrified Englemann Spruce top and solid Rosewood back and sides, and it comes with a nice, hard gig-bag. The guitar sounds full and resonant and plays easily with its out-of-the-box setup and rolled-edges fingerboard.

The guitar has an onboard SYSTEM70 TransAcoustic + SRT Piezo Pickup System the output of which can either feed an onboard speaker-like, actuator system that bounces sound off the back of the guitar and into the guitar's inside or it can feed an outboard amp or PA system. The preamp features both Reverb and Chorus effects that can be turned on or completely off and can be delivered to the onboard actuator sound system or to an external amp or PA. When the guitar is plugged-in to an amp or PA, the onboard effects are disabled to the onboard actuator system and are available only to outboard amps, PA or other devices. The effects provide good-sounding reverb and chorus effects when played acoustically that adds a pleasant tonal dimension to unamplified playing. The effects can be dialed-in from subtle to over-the-top and overall are a real plus to have available for playing enjoyment.

Regarding the moderately-high output, onboard SYSTEM70 TransAcoustic + SRT Piezo Pickup System, the SRT under-saddle pickup yields perfectly balanced string signals with no "hot" strings and very little "quack." This SRT pickup picks up mainly string vibration with some top vibration but little or no body vibration added to the mix (is this what a Barbera UST sounds like?). Although I haven't tried it yet, the system should work very well with a ToneDexter or Fishman Aura Pedal. The plastic control designation surrounding the preamp controls is for learning the controls and is easily removable.

In summary, frankly, as received, right out of the box, I can't say anything bad about this guitar, and I feel it represents a very good, professional-grade value in an acoustic-electric guitar and would be a really good main-performance or back-up guitar! Your comments are Welcome & Thanks For Reading!

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 08-09-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Here is my September 2019 review of my Yamaha LL-TA TransAcoustic:

Read NGD thread here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=557098

My lead comment from the NGD thread:

Last night, I played my just-received 2019 Yamaha LL-TA TransAcoustic both acoustically and plugged-in. This is an impeccably-crafted, Made In China, $999 instrument with solid torrified Englemann Spruce top and solid Rosewood back and sides, and it comes with a nice, hard gig-bag. The guitar sounds full and resonant and plays easily with its out-of-the-box setup and rolled-edges fingerboard.

The guitar has an onboard SYSTEM70 TransAcoustic + SRT Piezo Pickup System the output of which can either feed an onboard speaker-like, actuator system that bounces sound off the back of the guitar and into the guitar's inside or it can feed an outboard amp or PA system. The preamp features both Reverb and Chorus effects that can be turned on or completely off and can be delivered to the onboard actuator sound system or to an external amp or PA. When the guitar is plugged-in to an amp or PA, the onboard effects are disabled to the onboard actuator system and are available only to outboard amps, PA or other devices. The effects provide good-sounding reverb and chorus effects when played acoustically that adds a pleasant tonal dimension to unamplified playing. The effects can be dialed-in from subtle to over-the-top and overall are a real plus to have available for playing enjoyment.

Regarding the moderately-high output, onboard SYSTEM70 TransAcoustic + SRT Piezo Pickup System, the SRT under-saddle pickup yields perfectly balanced string signals with no "hot" strings and very little "quack." This SRT pickup picks up mainly string vibration with some top vibration but little or no body vibration added to the mix (is this what a Barbera UST sounds like?). Although I haven't tried it yet, the system should work very well with a ToneDexter or Fishman Aura Pedal. The plastic control designation surrounding the preamp controls is for learning the controls and is easily removable.

In summary, frankly, as received, right out of the box, I can't say anything bad about this guitar, and I feel it represents a very good, professional-grade value in an acoustic-electric guitar and would be a really good main-performance or back-up guitar! Your comments are Welcome & Thanks For Reading!

Thanks man! That's exactly what I was trying to figure out. It obviously lacks the mic modeling but I'm very impressed with the SRT pick up
Old 08-09-2020, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

A few months ago I heard about the TAs here on the AGF. After watching some of the demo videos I decided to buy an FS-TA. Without the TA effects switched on, it has sort of an average sound - nothing really distinctive. But with the reverb turned on I find, as others have mentioned, that it inspires a different style of playing. I wouldn't have one as my only guitar, but its a lot of fun to pick up when I'm looking for something different.

Has anyone owned/played both an FS-TA and an LS-TA? I'm thinking about switching to the LS to get the wider (1-3/4") nut.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:01 PM

I have the LS-TA version, and I've used it to gig at bars while plugged into some pretty unforgiving PA systems. It always sounded surprisingly good.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Has anyone owned/played both an FS-TA and an LS-TA? I'm thinking about switching to the LS to get the wider (1-3/4") nut.
I tried out an FS-TA at a Guitar Center about a year ago, and didn't have a pleasant experience. Didn't feel good in my hands, didn't sound good (old strings and dead batteries). It almost turned me off from seriously considering a TA.

But then I hurt my shoulder and couldn't play my dreads without pain, so I rolled the dice and ordered an LS-TA to give me a smaller-bodied guitar to play while I healed.

I was thrilled as soon as it arrived. Very comfortable in my hands, nice string spacing, great sound, and fun TA effects that were better than I thought they'd be. Plus I could play it without pain

I don't play it as much anymore, since my shoulder healed and I primarily went back to playing my bigger guitars, but it's still a keeper that fills an important backup role for me.

Here's a short clip of me playing it unplugged with the TA effects turned on:

Old 08-09-2020, 07:31 PM

Ive always loved the sound of an acoustic guitar. If I want effects Ill play an electric, love those strats.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:46 PM

What do you TA owners feel is the benefit of the TA over a regular electro-acoustic and acoustic amp? I get that you have the effects without needing an amp, but is that it?
Old 08-09-2020, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopasta View Post
What do you TA owners feel is the benefit of the TA over a regular electro-acoustic and acoustic amp? I get that you have the effects without needing an amp, but is that it?
Yeah, that's it for me. Just pull it off the wall and start playing - anywhere you can carry the guitar. No extra stuff needed.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:44 PM

Thanks! I thought I was missing something
Old 08-10-2020, 06:16 AM

A while back in my local shop both the LL TA and the FS TA were hanging on the wall. I played them both and had a marked preference for the LL.
A few weeks ago I was in and they had only the FS. I played it and liked it.
I generally have great respect for Yamaha guitars. I’ve just never bonded with one.
I did find myself considering that little FS.
I also have a Tonewood amp. And I have a love-hate relationship with it.
It is a great toy. But it has shortcomings that keep me from using it when I play out.
I’d play the Yamaha out. And if not worry about it.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion