The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-02-2020, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations, she’s a beauty; glad the specs feel so good. Must sound great, which will only get even better. Let the “string experiments” begin. 👍
Old 05-02-2020, 06:27 PM

That’s a beautiful guitar. Love that set of wood. And you can’t beat a custom neck carve. Congratulations!
Old 05-03-2020, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Nice! As the owner on a K model who is (pipe) dreaming of another Frog, I have to ask how the M compares to the K. I would love to add another smaller Frog to the mix and was thinking of an H12 as I assumed the M would be too similar to the K.

Just for fun, here is my K:Image.jpgImage%20(1).jpg
Old 05-03-2020, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlcox View Post
Nice! As the owner on a K model who is (pipe) dreaming of another Frog, I have to ask how the M compares to the K. I would love to add another smaller Frog to the mix and was thinking of an H12 as I assumed the M would be too similar to the K.

Just for fun, here is my K:Attachment 37148Attachment 37149
Very nice guitar Brian. I think your idea of adding an H-12 is a good one. While the M is different, the H-12 would certainly give you more variety. The K plays and sounds like the M’s bigger sibling. The K is, overall, a bit deeper and more powerful throughout. The M is amazingly powerful, but has a sweetness that isn’t quite as evident in the K. The M sounds closer to the K than the H-12. The H-12 will give you a great big, deep resonant fingerpicking guitar, that plays well with a pick. I can easily fingerpick the K, but I consider it best for a pick and typically use a pick for that guitar. I think the M plays equally well with fingers or a pick.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 05-03-2020 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

In my case I love my M so much (Mahogany/Adi) that I decided to go for it’s big brother, the K, and not change any of the specs. I could have gone Rosewood/Adi or for another model, but the M I have sounds so incredible that I just can’t risk going away from that formula. Many people mention “overtones” and that is really the right word to describe these guitars. I have not had a chance to try some of the other higher end brands (Goodall, etc). so they may also deliver but I just did not want to go away from what I have found with Froggy.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:16 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Curious minds want to know. How funny.

Always nice to squeeze some dog related content into this forum
Old 08-07-2020, 02:31 PM

wow..what a magnificent piece..congratulations..!!
Old 08-08-2020, 02:41 PM

Lovely M, Haasome

I am very interested in the descriptions of H12 vs M. I have owned a fine H12c for 20y and always lusted for an M. But have never been clear what is different about the M. There are few around to play. I have a K around here, my son's , and I find it a very fine guitar but not as friendly to fingernails and classical style R hand technique. I thought the comment Haasome made about the comparison of these three made alot of sense to me:

K best with a pick
M pick and fingernails equivalent
H12 fingernails best over pick.

Of course they all can go both ways but what is the best use of the guitar? For someone who uses fingerpicks this would be different than a lighter touch with fingernails. Vive la difference!

So I wonder about the 12-fret part of this puzzle. What would a M-12 and K-12 be like?

Any further comments about H12 vs M differences would be welcome.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 08-08-2020, 03:53 PM

For those who have Adi/Mahogany Froggys, has anyone tried a set of Martin Retro Lights on their guitar? They seem to work quite well for that wood combination on most brands of instrument, but I've never heard of them being used on a Froggy.

I may experiment on my M for my next string change.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkaa View Post
wow..what a magnificent piece..congratulations..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by handers View Post
Lovely M, Haasome
Thank you both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiva238 View Post
For those who have Adi/Mahogany Froggys, has anyone tried a set of Martin Retro Lights on their guitar? They seem to work quite well for that wood combination on most brands of instrument, but I've never heard of them being used on a Froggy.

I may experiment on my M for my next string change.
I’ve used Retro Lights on my Adi/Mahogany C-12 and thought they were fine. There was something about the feel that didn’t thrill me, but honestly couldn’t describe what it was. Sometimes you just get something in your head and it gets in the way. I think they are worth a shot. I’ve been most pleased with Elixir 80/20 lights on the C. There are quite a few songs I seem to play on that guitar where I do “slides” and these are most quiet for that technique.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Ok, here they are. Left to Right K, M, C. The K is a Full-size with a 16” lower bout. The M is a Grand Concert with a 15” lower bout. The C is a Concert with a 14-1/4” lower bout. Not much a bum photographer like me can do about the glare.

What are their names?

How's Bruno adjusting to the new family member?

What does the 50 on the back signify?

Are you concerned your life has peaked?

Seriously, those are beautiful instruments, and a nice variety of sizes. I'm happy for you.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
What are their names?

How's Bruno adjusting to the new family member?

What does the 50 on the back signify?

Are you concerned your life has peaked?

Seriously, those are beautiful instruments, and a nice variety of sizes. I'm happy for you.
Lefty - The Centrist - Righty (but open to suggestions)

Bruno loves music, seriously. So it’s been fun. My last buddy came running at first pluck. Bruno follows in those footsteps.

50 signifies Michael Millard’s (the builder) 50th and final year building Froggy Bottoms.

I can’t say I’m concerned. I’m grateful and looking forward to tomorrow.

And —- thanks.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:11 PM

Congrats on the new M and on your timeliness in getting one from Michael before he retired.

I have an H12 with Addi over EIR and for what it is worth I settled long ago into John Pearse Silk and Phosphors or Thomastik Infeld Plectrums. Both are low tension (easy on the guitar) and easy on the fingers. Tonally they are very similar; the Thomastiks being louder, more full bodied, more present....and quite a bit more expensive but they last longer too.

I have spent a lot of time with multiple guitars in Brazilian however I acquired my H12 from a fellow member who had one with man preferred string spacings ( a very vintage 1 7/8ths at the nut and 2 3/8ths at the saddle). I have never seen or heard of another H12 with these specs. I realize these spacings are personal preference but I have never regretted moving back to EIR. I love mine and I hope you feel the same about yours.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion