The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2020, 09:20 PM

Default Yamaha AC3R vs AC3M for gigging

Hey guys I'm trying to make a decision on the Yamaha A3 series. I don't play enough unplugged to go for a red label or an LL 16. The whole appeal of the a 3 series for me is the preamp that punches way above its weight. So now I'm trying to decide between the ac3m and the ac3r my big problem is that I work and live in rural Western Colorado and no one has both of those guitars on the shelf right now. So two things. The form factor of the SRT2 is much more appealing to me. But you obviously sacrifice the tuner and the mic placement setting and one of the microphones on the new models. The downside is the new models you have torrefaction and the older models did not. So a lot of things. I know that there have been a few discussions on the site. But

I'd love to get people's perspective. It will be a gigging guitar. Sometimes solo in which case the rosewood would be appealing. Sometimes in a group which obviously the mahogany cuts a little bit better. So just looking for very subjective opinions on these guitars and between the first series and the second series of this little beauty. I've already got plenty of dreadnoughts so I'm leaning towards the concert

Last edited by westernslope; 07-26-2020 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:44 PM

You'll be so distracted by how undestracting and unbelievably comfortable that neck is that you'll forgot to even pay attention to the sound...
My vote is the mahogany simply because these guitars are fairly bright, the rosewood might make it too bright imo, especially not being big bodied enough for the bass boom to balance out the brightness.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:16 PM

I have owned both the 1st series and the 2nd series with ARE top. I had nothing against the first series but If I had the choice I would definitely get the 2nd series . The Are top just gave it a little more something. Its hard for me to describe sound, but there is a difference. At least to my ears. I would definitely stick with the 3 series because the pick up system in them is really superior to 1 series. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your search.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:20 PM

I've played a few of those. I love the concert size. Personally I'm a rosewood guy.

Also, at that point might as well wait a few months and save for a A5 or red series imho. You might be able to get a good deal on reverb too.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
I have owned both the 1st series and the 2nd series with ARE top. I had nothing against the first series but If I had the choice I would definitely get the 2nd series . The Are top just gave it a little more something. Its hard for me to describe sound, but there is a difference. At least to my ears. I would definitely stick with the 3 series because the pick up system in them is really superior to 1 series. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your search.

Yeah it's definitely three series or higher for me. The big appeal for me is the SRT
Old 07-27-2020, 05:46 AM

I owned a gen 1 AC3R and it was a great guitar but lacked a fullness of tone unplugged. When I bought an A5R, I played an AC5M and really really really liked its tone. A friend of mine has a gen 1 AC3M. It sounded great plugged in and unplugged. Having that fuller midrange rounds out the sound. I'd go for the M.

As for gen1 vs gen 2, I preferred the barn door pickup with tuner, 3 mic models, mic placement and anti feedback circuit. If you're a tinkerer, it's fun messing with all the knobs. The new preamp simplifies it and you can get a good tone more quickly, but you're losing some features.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 07-27-2020 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:27 AM

I have the older AC3R and the newer AC1M. Unplugged, I prefer the AC1M. The rosewood is bright. I just like the sound better of the AC1M. They are both very nice guitars. I do like the SRT system in the AC3R. YMMV.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:47 AM

Have you considered the FSX5 or FSX3. By most accounts, people love the new Atmosfeel pickup system. The price is in the same range. Just something to consider. The only thing the FS would be missing is the cutout.

Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 07-27-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_F View Post
Have you considered the FSX5 or FSX3. By most accounts, people love the new Atmosfeel pickup system. The price is in the same range. Just something to consider. The only thing the FS would be missing is the cutout.

Martin
yeah I'm not as impressed with atmosfeel as the srt system. I wanted to be but just am not.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernslope View Post
yeah I'm not as impressed with atmosfeel as the srt system. I wanted to be but just am not.
Well I got a great deal on a sunburst ac3m. It had the open back Grover stay tite bone nut and saddle. and a very nice setup. I'm excited to play this thing. Thanks for all the input. It's got the second generation pick up. I was torn between 1st Gen and 2nd generation but I think the scalloped bracing and the torrefied top clinched it for me plus as I said I got a great deal on a guitar.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Well I got a great deal on a sunburst ac3m. It had the open back Grover stay tite bone nut and saddle. and a very nice setup. I'm excited to play this thing. Thanks for all the input. It's got the second generation pick up. I was torn between 1st Gen and 2nd generation but I think the scalloped bracing and the torrefied top clinched it for me plus as I said I got a great deal on a guitar.
Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing how you like it.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah there was just too much additional feature to pass up on it. Again the grover stay tite combined with a well set-up bone nut and saddle. All that work is worth a bunch of money. So I'm pretty excited I've never had anything other than a natural finish on a guitar the tobacco Burst definitely is a cool look.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:17 PM

Good call. They are really great sounding guitars. I really should not have sold my A3M 2nd generation series. I miss it sometimes. The SRT system is one of the best factory systems I have played. Enjoy that guitar!
Old 08-09-2020, 10:57 AM

Well I've had the guitar for about a week now and I'm just more and more impressed with this thing. Like I said very nice polished bone nut and compensated saddle. Grover open back stay tight tuners. Ebony bridge pins. And the guitar is completely immaculate. I'm honestly very very happy with the sound. I'm really glad I went with the second generation because I feel like the scalloped bracing and the are added a bunch a volume and tone and harmonics that I didn't notice on the first gen's that I tried out a few years ago.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:22 PM

Glad to hear you are liking your Yamaha. I remember when I first compared the 1st series to the 2nd generation series I really could hear a difference in the sound. I used to do blind fold tests comparing my A3M vs. my Taylor 414 and 99% of the time people would say they liked my Yamaha better. I have sold both of those guitars since then. I don't miss the Taylor at all but I miss the Yamaha. Enjoy yours!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion