The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-08-2020, 01:27 PM

Default Question for Eastman Guitar owners on the certificate of authenticity

Hi folks, I recently got an Eastman E2D and am loving it. But I've noticed that most everyone that has an Eastman got a certificate of authenticity with a date right at the top. Presumably the date is when their guitar was manufactured. I've got a certificate but it has no line for a date. I only have the model, serial number and a signature of the person who certified it.

So am I missing a different document? Did Eastman change their certificate of authenticity at some point? (if so when?)
Old 08-08-2020, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

I bought an Eastman E2OM-CD in April and noticed the same thing and, no, there is no other document so you are not missing anything. I wondered how, if I sold it, I could represent the year and I mentioned that to the dealer and he said that I could probably just email Eastman with the serial # and they would reply and verify the build date and that I could print that off and keep it with the guitar. There is nothing in the serial # to indicate the manufactured date.

It was a nice guitar but I didn't like the neck profile so it is with a friend now.

Rob
Old 08-08-2020, 01:49 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the reply! Not sure why not provide that information for all guitars right on the certificate. I'll see about sending Eastman an email. No plans to sell it, but curious. Seems like they use different versions of the CoA document. I wonder if it is just for the E2D.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Really I don't think that the certificates mater at all. Can't really seeing it making any difference on the secondary market.

I guess I got one with my E1OM, and stuck it in the gig bag. But never gave it a second thought (ok, I just went and looked b/c it's close by, and there's no date or signature, just model #, serial # and a QC stamp).

I also have an E6D that I bought used... and without going and looking in the case, I honestly couldn't say if it came with one.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 08-08-2020, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

The last two NEW Eastmans I bought online this year from dealers did not have the COA

I contacted Eastman, and they sent out COA's for both very quickly.

Both COA's indeed have the dates......

I like knowing when the guitar was built.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

I haven't seen an Eastman COA without a date, but if you contact Eastman, they should be able to provide you with the date and/or send a new COA.

Just some clarification, the COA date isn't the manufacture date, but rather the date that the guitar passed through Eastman's US shop in Pomona, CA. The guitar would be made previous to that date (obviously), but they don't track those details (or include them on the COA).
Old 08-09-2020, 02:50 AM

I bought my Eastman in 2014, and the COA has the model and serial number written in. There is a space for a "certified by" signature and date, but neither one was filled out.

However, I do have the original receipt from the shop where I bought it. That's got a date on it.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:56 AM

I believe the date on the COA is when the state-side Eastman technician inspected the guitar, not when the guitar was made.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldtone View Post
I believe the date on the COA is when the state-side Eastman technician inspected the guitar, not when the guitar was made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Just some clarification, the COA date isn't the manufacture date, but rather the date that the guitar passed through Eastman's US shop in Pomona, CA. The guitar would be made previous to that date (obviously), but they don't track those details (or include them on the COA).
Correct.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
I guess I got one with my E1OM, and stuck it in the gig bag. But never gave it a second thought (ok, I just went and looked b/c it's close by, and there's no date or signature, just model #, serial # and a QC stamp).
Just for the record, yesterday afternoon I came across a second COA for my E1OM that does have a date and a signature on it... I had evidently put one in the gigbag, and set the other aside on a shelf.

I still don't think that they matter terribly much.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 08-10-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Just for the record, yesterday afternoon I came across a second COA for my E1OM that does have a date and a signature on it... I had evidently put one in the gigbag, and set the other aside on a shelf.

I still don't think that they matter terribly much.
The plot thickens! Well, I heard back from Eastman and they told me the date of my particular guitar. But also said they don't understand why the COA doesn't have a date on it since they definitely do that at their shop. Makes me think I may be missing a document, given that some folks are receiving two different ones.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

The one in the left is glossy, but not the one on the right. The one on the right has a raised seal though.

(Call me Dan)
Old 08-10-2020, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Eastman is becoming serious high end guitar, and China and California need to get this COA business straightened out.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The one in the left is glossy, but not the one on the right. The one on the right has a raised seal though.
The one on the left is identical to every one that I have received. I haven't gotten one with just the QC stamp. Maybe that's something that gets included when it's imported, and then gets replaced with the left document, when it passes through Pomona, CA. (pure speculation)
Old 08-10-2020, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

I have an E2D cedar top and an E10OM-TC. I did not receive a COA with the E2D but I did with the E10OM-TC.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion