The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-11-2014, 12:15 PM

Default How to put ashes on a vintage instrument?

My 92 year old Dad will pass a way within the next year. I have long planned to commission an heirloom guitar, with some of Dad's & Mom's ashes mixed into the finish. When my playing days are done, this guitar will go to the family member who shows the most promise as a musician, with the promise that they will care for the instrument and pass it forward on the same terms.

If you wanted to do this with with a vintage guitar, rather than a new guitar, how would you do it? Inside the body? Make a finish patch with the ashes? On the headstock? I hope someone here has a great idea for doing this on an existing instrument.

Also, for a custom inlay. I like the idea of commissioning a 12th fret inlay commemorating my Mom & Dad's amazing lives. Any recommendations for who would be good to ship the guitar to for this purpose?

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 01-11-2014, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Interesting idea.

How about a fretboard inlay. Fret markers or a decorative inlay pattern. Filled with a mixture of ashes and CA, much the way you fill holes with sawdust and CA.

Then its decorative and functional and won't really change the guitar.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-11-2014, 02:16 PM

Inlay would be interesting. Another way, though not as visible, might be to place a capsule in one of the solid parts of the guitar (head stock, etc).

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 01-11-2014, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

I don't know what the process is, but I have seen a small "jewel" made from cremains. Kind of looked like an occluded diamond. Something like that set as a fret marker would meet your wishes and could be easily done.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Interesting idea.

How about a fretboard inlay. Fret markers or a decorative inlay pattern. Filled with a mixture of ashes and CA, much the way you fill holes with sawdust and CA.

Then its decorative and functional and won't really change the guitar.
I like that idea, though I would use epoxy rather than CA, and form it into shapes before inlaying. I often (doing some now, in fact) make filler by mixing black tempera paint with glue, and epoxy works a lot better then CA
Old 01-11-2014, 03:05 PM

Or perhaps seeing the cremains is less important than knowing they are there. If that is the case a void could be drilled in the neck block and the cremains inserted there, sort of like a mini-vase.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:28 AM

Some great ideas guys, thanks so much. The idea of using the ashes as filler with a binder (CA or epoxy) for the fret markers is a great idea. This could be done without really altering the look of the guitar, and would be under the fingers whenever the guitar is played, very symbolic.

Do any of you guys know an excellent inlay artist on the west coast who could take a guitar and make these changes?

The idea of the interred capsule is also a nice one, though I would prefer something visual... intuitively, that seems to have more impact. (out of sight, out of mind)

For the instrument I want a real classic, though less aged than what is currently considered vintage... 20-30 years old. I am leaning to a Gibson J-45/50 or Guild F-50... very different instruments, just have to find the one that speaks to me.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:31 AM

Just curious, have you discussed your plan with your father?
Old 01-12-2014, 03:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

I had a client a few years ago who had a dog he dearly loved, and he asked if I could do something similar. He sent me some of the deceased dog's toenail clippings, and said I could use them for some kind of inlay, or whatever I thought appropriate. It seemed like an odd request at the time, but I certainly understood the sentiment. If you've ever had a faithful dog who was your best friend through thick and thin for many years, it's natural that you'd want a remembrance of your friendship...

And certainly even more so for a beloved parent.

The idea I came up with was to make a MOP paw print inlay, with hollowed-out center, and to fill the cavities with powdered toenail, mixed into an epoxy mastic. Here's the result:

Old 01-12-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Sadly, Dad is suffering from progressive dementia. I wish I had thought of this 5 years ago when he could have understood... he would have loved the idea.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
I had a client a few years ago who had a dog he dearly loved, and he asked if I could do something similar. He sent me some of the deceased dog's toenail clippings, and said I could use them for some kind of inlay, or whatever I thought appropriate....The idea I came up with was to make a MOP paw print inlay, with hollowed-out center, and to fill the cavities with powdered toenail, mixed into an epoxy mastic.
Stephen,

The heel cap inlay is a wonderful idea (or truss rod cover)... this is a change that would be unique, personal, and would not alter the instrument irreversibly. Thank you!

What do you think of the idea of removing the existing fretboard markers and replacing with an ash-binder fill? Do you know a good west coast inlay artist who could do this for me?

Bill

Old 01-13-2014, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Stephen,

The heel cap inlay is a wonderful idea (or truss rod cover)... this is a change that would be unique, personal, and would not alter the instrument irreversibly. Thank you!

What do you think of the idea of removing the existing fretboard markers and replacing with an ash-binder fill? Do you know a good west coast inlay artist who could do this for me?

Bill
I don't know if she would do this specifically, but Jimmi Wingert is one of the best inlay artists and she lives near Los Angeles. Jimmiwingert.com.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post

Good question,,, I understand the sentiment, and its a very tender
notion,,, but it also seems kind of weird, no offense intended,
If one of my sons asked me, i would say, no thanks , buy an urn
or spread my remains somewhere sentimental (not Sam Ash stores)

W

Last edited by Wendell123; 01-13-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:34 AM

When my parents passed on I took the ashes and planted two trees in my backyard with the ashes mixed in, one for Dad and one for Mom. Works for me and the trees are going well.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitner View Post
When my parents passed on I took the ashes and planted two trees in my backyard with the ashes mixed in, one for Dad and one for Mom. Works for me and the trees are going well.
Much healthier idea !

W

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop