The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2006, 11:15 PM

Question Epiphone FT-155

Hey, I have an Epiphone FT-155 MIJ(Made in Japan). I got it from my dad and I have no idea if it is worth anything or if it is a compleat peice of junk. It plays ok and I like it I just want to know more about it. Can anyone help me?

-Danny
Old 02-16-2006, 02:50 AM

Hi Danny,

Whats the serial number on the guitar?

Cheers.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav1970
Hi Danny,

Whats the serial number on the guitar?

Cheers.
The serial # is 290459
Old 02-16-2006, 10:39 PM

I can't seem to find too much information on this one mate.

It appears from the serial number that it was made in 1965. The FT stands for Flat Top and the numeral designation in the model number define the guitar as an Ash Jumbo (please correct me if I'm wrong). I believe that the FT series (of which there are 12 different models of various timbers and configurations) all came with spruce faces but I can't seem to find out if they were solid or ply tops. Best way to find out is to look at the soundhole in your guitar. If you follow the grain of the face on your guitar into the soundhole the side of the soundhole should have the grain lines continue through the cross section. If you find that as soon as the grain meets the soundhole that there is a variation in grain line it is more than likely that it is a ply top (usually three pieces of timber sandwiched together). At a guess I would think that both the sides and the back are a laminate but once again the best way to find out is to compare the grain and pattern the timber on the outside of the back as opposed to the inside of the back. If they look very similar (they will never look identical) it more than likely that it is a solid back. It's also far more common to see a centre strip of another timber running longitudinally up the inside of the back over the centre join if the back is made of solid timber (although this isn't a hard and fast rule).

Your other option is to take it down to your local repairer and have them look it over. Any luthier worth their salt should be able to tell you things such as neck timber, whether or not it is a solid top etc. etc.

Obviously I'm not going to mention the price here but if you'd like to know what sort of range they are going for at the moment please feel free to send me a pm.

Aside from any structural and playability concerns (and once again see a repairer for an evaluation) if you like the sound of it then you've found yourself a nice guitar. You're the only person who can determine that.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Cheers.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:28 PM

Thanks man, I did some research on my own and found pretty much the same thing. Just for kicks and giggles, could you e-mail me how much they are going for now? My e-mail is [email protected]. Thanks

-Danny
Old 04-09-2010, 08:08 AM

Default Its a treasure, not monetarily

If you are a guitarist, you have, if it is anything comparable to the one I own, a treasure. I have a 1974 FT-155. It is an all solid wood guitar with a spruce top. In fact, I would have to spend $1600 on a Martin DC16RGTE to get a better resonant vibration or what some would call a better sound. If you go to guitar center and play the $800 to $1600 acoustic guitars you will find that the FT-155 is comparable to or better than most. The Bad news is: if you are looking to sell it is only worth $50 to $200 depending on the condition.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav1970 View Post
It appears from the serial number that it was made in 1965.
The guitar could not have been built in 1965. The FT-155 was, as far as I know, was offered only after production had been moved to Japan - which the OP says is where the guitar was built. Althjough I am nopt quite sure about that model, if is has a bolt-on neck it would be from the early 1970s. If not then it was probably built later in the decade.

I would not call the guitar a piece of junk - they were made by one of the best guitar shops in Japan - the same folks who turned out Arias.

And the fact that the guitar was your Dad's makes it all that more special.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:48 AM

The way I find values of used guitars is to watch Ebay and see what they go for in similar condition. Congrats on your vintage Epiphone. I'm a fan of the 70's Japanese mades myself. My current beater (IE: Guitar I play most often) is a 70's vintage Epiphone FT-145 Texan.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion