The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-09-2020, 07:40 PM

Default Am I just an old fart

So many threads about what guitar I should buy, what is the best sounding guitar, what strings are best...etc.

I'm in my 70's and been there, done that, far too many times. Is it just a young person thing that these issues keep coming up? Every thread like these ends up with 'personal' opinions, as they should, and who knows how useful the info is to the OP. Yes, I know, I don't have to click on and read those threads and for the most part I don't but, well, you know, I'm just killing time rather than picking up my guitar to play stuff after all so...

Maybe I'm just too stuck in my ways [read opinions] and the constant repetition of the same stuff just rankles me. ...putting on my flame retardant suit and, yes, I also know I shouldn't post after a couple of single malts
Old 07-09-2020, 07:45 PM

Stick around. When it comes to guitars, I'm going to ask an old fart before a young fart anytime.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Yes, most of it is just banter. Lip flapping, as it were. Funny how your priorities change with several decades (and countless guitars) under your belt!
Steve
Old 07-09-2020, 07:59 PM

Default This is gonna sound crazy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzereh View Post
Is it just a young person thing that these issues keep coming up?
Maybe I'm just too stuck in my way I also know I shouldn't post after a couple of single malts
Love it you old coot!

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-10-2020 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzereh View Post
yes, I also know I shouldn't post after a couple of single malts
Right on. I want you to have two more and then post.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:09 PM

Advantages of being an old fart (from my prospective)
No more gas. I can look at guitars and want for nothing
No more chasing the elusive tune or lick. I've got another 15 years if I'm lucky. Small progress is fine.
I'll try the next new string or gadget, knowing full
I'll go back to what I'm used to

Last edited by rgregg48; 07-09-2020 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-09-2020, 08:11 PM

I’m in my 70’s also, with minimal experience and skill. Asking for opinions from forum members about guitars, strings etc., help to educate. Besides, what would the threads be about? Gigging, boutique guitars, busking, or any other subject that gets repeated over and over? Without these threads the forum would dry up. Oh well.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:21 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Have you ever been on a car forum? Truck forum? Gun Forum? Coin forum? Beer forum? Cigar forum? Etc, etc, etc... What you describe is the bread-and-butter of all forums where folks gather to obsess about the things they love. AGF is no different. Only way to avoid the stuff that’s bugging you is to stay off forums.

Meanwhile, I’ll get off your lawn...

Old 07-09-2020, 08:47 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I'm an old fart too, and have read countless threads of the same topics, but in between practicing a tune or two its nice to keep in touch with others with the same passion.

Which strings, which guitar, keep the pick guard or not, ebony or richlite, its all good to me. I don't practice non-stop anymore, my hands get too tired, so I practice in spurts and read while I rest the hands.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-09-2020, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

People tend to recommend what they bought. I rarely find these threads about "What should I buy" helpful.

However, I have sometimes found threads on the AGF about a particular guitar model helpful. I bought a Guild GAD30R quite a few years ago based on good reviews on the AGF. The same is true for my Santa Cruz OM/PW. Both of these guitars met my expectations.

I don't buy a new guitar based solely on opinions expressed here on the AGF, but the information found here can be part of the general gathering of information. I have also found on occasions that favorable opinions expressed here turn out not to match my preferences on some products at all. A person has to have enough background to know what they like and don't like.

Like the rest of life, a potential buyer has to beware.

- Glenn
Old 07-09-2020, 10:19 PM

Those threads have value.

Even though I had 20+ years playing the guitar, I took a 15 year break from the acoustic. When I returned a lot had changed. Reading those types of threads brought my attention to the D-18GE, a model Martin no longer made. None were in my local stores, so I probably wouldn’t have become aware of them but for people talking about them on threads. I probably owe my playing of monel strings to those threads as well.

They’re easy enough to skim through. I say keep ‘em coming.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:26 PM

I would never have bought my $20K Zager if it wasn't for all the support and encouragement from the AGF.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 07-09-2020 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:07 PM

It's a serious question. Of what use are threads about what's best. Very useful I think. It may seem as if everyone is just mouthing off but the AGF is no echo chamber. Behind the exchanging of views there is a learning process which saves a lot of time and money. And it's fun, genial and polite. If I had had access to such content when younger the path to becoming informed about the guitar would have been much more efficient.

I find it enjoyable and informative.

Also, as others have said, there's no fart like an old fart!
Old 07-09-2020, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

It’s a guitar forum, so if you cut out the “what do you think is best” part of the forum, you will have whittled (pun intended) the conversation down to tonewood (no opinions there) and the appropriate way to wrap a string.

And, yes, I do tend to recommend what I bought when I think it’s relevant. There’s a reason I bought it. I don’t usually recommend the thing I decided not to buy or haven’t played. Unless I don’t like the other person.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:53 PM

I think that is the nature of all forums. Some thread topics just seem to cycle through over and over. The one thing I think contributes to this is we have new members join and they are seeking information and wanting to participate so I don't mind see it. I have become a bit more selective as to what topics I participate in.

I have been on the open mic section of this forum and found some interesting subjects there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion