The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2020, 04:06 AM

Default The cost of a custom neck

I was wondering about how much it would cost to have a custom neck made and have it installed. Is it cheaper to have one installed on a guitar like a taylor because it has a bolt on neck?

It seems a custom neck would still be quite a bit cheaper than a custom guitar.
Custom guitars start at about 2,500 right?
Old 07-08-2020, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

do you have a good guitar with a bad neck?....... A custom neck can run upwards of 2500.00 depending on the builder and appointments..... Santa Cruz just recently quoted me 1800. for a neck replacement.... I had Bill Tippin build a new neck for me several years ago for 2000.00.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:10 AM

How custom do you need it to be? Yes, it would be easier with a bolt on neck, but it's going to be a lot of bother no matter how you approach it. Can you not find a guitar with a neck that suits your needs?
Old 07-08-2020, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grains View Post
While it may still be possible to find a luthier-made guitar for this price, you will be hard-pressed to do so. Most start at $4000, some far higher.

If the neck you have now is too big for you in some way, a cheaper alternative may be to have it shaved or altered. Obviously this does not work if you want it larger.

For most folks, they'd have to REALLY like their guitar to go to this kind of expense and effort. And with some instruments, such a change would hurt its resale value. The problem is partly because neck and body were made to function together as a unit and it takes considerable skill and care to "amputate" and refit with a "prothesis".

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:08 AM

What prompts the need for a "custom neck"?
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-08-2020, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
While it may still be possible to find a luthier-made guitar for this price, you will be hard-pressed to do so. Most start at $4000, some far higher.

If the neck you have now is too big for you in some way, a cheaper alternative may be to have it shaved or altered. Obviously this does not work if you want it larger.

For most folks, they'd have to REALLY like their guitar to go to this kind of expense and effort. And with some instruments, such a change would hurt its resale value. The problem is partly because neck and body were made to function together as a unit and it takes considerable skill and care to "amputate" and refit with a "prothesis".
I almost had my luthier alter/shave down a previously owned D-28 Authentic 1937 because I cannot get along with that neck profile. He said it wouldn't be that big a deal to do it but I obviously realized how it would de-value the guitar if I ever wanted to sell it and decided against it. And ultimately sold it. Loved the guitar...hated the neck?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-08-2020, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

True. A replacement custom neck would likely cost less than a custom guitar but the cost of either one is dependent on the specific luthier, the quality of woods, inlays, tuning pegs and other appointments, matching the finish, etc. I have never priced a replacement neck but others here have already noted estimates they’ve seen. All of the "custom" guitars I have priced have been well north of the $2500 you mentioned. But I have to tell you, adjusting the neck is one thing. Replacing the neck is a completely different animal. It's not like replacing the tires on your car. Unless it's a treasured or high-valued instrument, I would just buy a new guitar. There are so many good ones, in all price ranges, to choose from.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 07-08-2020, 07:36 AM

What a great excuse to get a new guitar
Old 07-08-2020, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

I asked Martin what it would cost to make a new neck for a guitar, and they estimated $1800 depending on features. I saw a well known luthier quote $1200-1500. Whoever quoted $4k hasn’t a clue that you can get most of the way to a small shop luthier built guitar for that much!

Those were dovetail. I wouldn’t be surprised if you could get a Taylor style neck made for close to $1000 (although wouldn’t have the Taylor headstock inlay).
Old 07-08-2020, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I agree that it depends on what you are trying to accomplish and what you have now. Guitars are a sum of their parts and if you shift one part, it inevitably impacts the other parts of the equation. The question is to what degree.

Due to a hand injury, I had two necks shaved down by the luthier who made the guitars. It worked out beautifully and I was fortunate to only need a re-shaping of the neck. I have a friend who had his guitar shaved in terms of the neck width and that was a trickier proposition.

The width of the neck, the string spacing at both the nut and the saddle, the taper of the neck are all factors at play. So, it might be worth it and it might be best to search for another guitar. You would need a trusted luthier to assess the likelihood of whether or not the objective you are looking for can be successfully achieved at what cost.

Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Jayne
Old 07-08-2020, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

As mentioned, it sure depends on what you're trying to accomplish. There are guys/gals who'll build you an entire guitar, including a custom neck, for far less than most might attempt to make just a neck and attach it to some other guitar.

Also worth noting, if you love the guitar, but hate the neck profile/size/etc, changing to a different neck MAY completely and irreversibly change the tone to where you no longer like the guitar at all, so that seems like a risk not worth taking.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:16 AM

Get an electric guitar and then go to Warmouth.com.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 07-08-2020, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
What prompts the need for a "custom neck"?
I don't think I'd ever do it, but my Dad's 64 Hummingbird sounds fantastic but I never play it because of the pencil thin neck. Not sure about the OP, but that could be an example of a reason.

Some guitars
Old 07-08-2020, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Texas View Post
I don't think I'd ever do it, but my Dad's 64 Hummingbird sounds fantastic but I never play it because of the pencil thin neck. Not sure about the OP, but that could be an example of a reason.
What would scare me is that if you take an old growth mahogany neck off, unglue a long-bonded glue joint ,etc and then put a new piece of wood on there would all the tone and charm be gone? It would be more comfortable to play, but would it still sound as good as it did???
Old 07-08-2020, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was wondering about how much it would cost to have a custom neck made and have it installed. Is it cheaper to have one installed on a guitar like a taylor because it has a bolt on neck?
Why don't you tell us the issue you'd like solved and perhaps we could make some suggestions/solutions. Also, what guitar (year, make, model) are you thinking of modifying?

Quote:
There may be a couple of builders out there with a base price that low but I don't know any. At any rate, your question indicates you think you can get a custom neck for "quite a bit cheaper" than $2500. It would be cheaper than that but not by as much as I think you're hoping.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion