The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-22-2020, 02:58 PM

Or this

Old 04-22-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I'm going to vote for the Telecaster simply because Fender continues to supply the vestigial trem bar on Strats that most players don't use and refuses to produce more hardtail like the Robert Cray Strat...
It's pretty easy to turn a Strat into a hardtail. I like the tone of a Tele but I can't handle the garden hose neck. 9.5 Radius. Yuck. Feels like a wet noodle....
Old 04-22-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPADON View Post
Or this

THAT is an awesome picture.!! Thanks for posting that up. Feel the power.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
And here's another way,

I'm more into something like this. The way the Tele neck "hangs" on me is alright, but I can play Strats all day long. I'm sure a lot of this is because I'm so short and have small hands.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
It's pretty easy to turn a Strat into a hardtail. I like the tone of a Tele but I can't handle the garden hose neck. 9.5 Radius. Yuck. Feels like a wet noodle....
9.5 Radius is probably the most common on Strats and Teles.

Not so on your Pacifica I know but that's how it is with Fenders.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass

Last edited by paulp1960; 04-23-2020 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:09 AM

"What's better?" is certainly a interesting, if not loaded, question.

I played an American Standard Strat for several years, but truthfully it never felt "right" to me. I picked up a Tele in a shop one day when I had a bit of time to kill and I knew instantly that it just felt right.

Being "frugal" I purchased a couple of MIM Teles, made new thinline bodies from nice figured wood to reduce weight, changed out pickups and played them happily for several years.

The answer is truly all about which one trips your personal trigger. Play both, pick one, be happy!

Plus, you just don't see a lot of Strats with "B" benders installed!
Old 04-23-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
"What's better?" is certainly a interesting, if not loaded, question.

I played an American Standard Strat for several years, but truthfully it never felt "right" to me. I picked up a Tele in a shop one day when I had a bit of time to kill and I knew instantly that it just felt right.

Being "frugal" I purchased a couple of MIM Teles, made new thinline bodies from nice figured wood to reduce weight, changed out pickups and played them happily for several years.

The answer is truly all about which one trips your personal trigger. Play both, pick one, be happy!

Yep, a couple of really cool things you can do to a Telecaster like you said. (Installing a B-Bender, adding a Bigsby and nothing more cooler in my eyes than adding a leather cover a la Waylon Jennings).

Last edited by Steel and wood; 04-23-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post

It's possible. I have a T-Style with a Hipshot B-Bender and adds too much weight. I'm sure a company like Hipshot might offer a Strat body internal B-Bender if there were enough demand or if someone paid the tooling costs. Truthfully, the strap mounted B-Bender was the only reason I went with a traditional-ish Tele shape.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:20 AM

what's better? Simple a EB Music Man. Still made in sunny California

Seriously though, although I am serious, I like my Tele and I like my Strat. I wish my Tele and I wish my Music Man had an arm bevel like a strat. And I love the Strat's belly bevel as well. My MM has a belly bevel just not as pronounced as a Strat. A tele has neither.

Something to think about because that is a major distinction between a Strat and Tele.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:34 PM

Count me among those who believe subscribe to the notion that "Leo got it right the first time."
Old 04-30-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
Count me among those who believe subscribe to the notion that "Leo got it right the first time."
Dang! Now I have to go out and get a lap steel.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-30-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Dang! Now I have to go out and get a lap steel.
Notice I phrased it as the "notion" that Leo got it right the first time.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:53 PM

In general, I prefer teles, but I almost always do have a strat in the arsenal, because it really is a different beast. I generally prefer playing teles, perhaps just because I've played them for so long, but also because they're really just a plank with a neck screwed on. You can bang on it all day, and unless you break a string, hardly need to tune it. A strat is a little fussier and subject to occasional mishaps (particularly related to the bridge, unless you have it decked, which I don't - mine is floating) but possesses a tonal quality that really can't be duplicated by anything else.

Also, I don't what Jay is going on about - I have been playing teles on and off for over 40 years, and have never had the sort of ergonomic issues he references...

Old 05-09-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Nice. And we all know red sounds better.

Bob
I just picked up a Peavey Firenza. It has the P-90 pu which I assume these are on this tele. Everyone has their story regarding the evolution of how they got to where they are with guitars that in the moment seem like the one or one's that finally do it for them. I believe I am at that point but also know it can change. I've had two Telecasters, one a 97 deluxe plus wish I'd not got stupid and traded. I prefer a Strat style however. Have had two fenders but neither now. A Music man Cutlass and Peavey predator seem to be working fine.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:51 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildman View Post
I just picked up a Peavey Firenza. It has the P-90 pu which I assume these are on this tele. Everyone has their story regarding the evolution of how they got to where they are with guitars that in the moment seem like the one or one's that finally do it for them. I believe I am at that point but also know it can change. I've had two Telecasters, one a 97 deluxe plus wish I'd not got stupid and traded. I prefer a Strat style however. Have had two fenders but neither now. A Music man Cutlass and Peavey predator seem to be working fine.
No, but red is the thing. When I was a kid my mom asked me my favorite color. I said, "Red!" She said, "Don't be that kind of a person!"* I woke up one day, fifty years later, and realized...

...nothing really changes.

Bob

* Whatever that means

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars