The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-26-2020, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Just remember that there's a difference between the sound of a rotary speaker and a univibe. Frampton used, and uses, a rotary speaker. But Trower and Hendrix were known for using a univibe.

Some info on Trower's gear for Bridge of Sighs.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features...ridge-of-sighs
Thanks David. I had just seen a gear video where Trower is currently using a Fulltone Deja-Vibe(along with two other Fulltone effects pedals). A beautiful pedal but it’s not able to use a 9v battery, so not for this build. Maybe another time.
And honestly, only ULTRA GEEKS would ever know the difference between a roto-vibe and a uni-vibe! Bahahaha! Here, take a look at this if you have a moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Z8-EfMD5A

Last edited by Chickee; 04-26-2020 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Honesty of statement needed correction
Old 05-03-2020, 06:58 PM

I haven’t gotten delivery of the last couple of pedals that will finalize this new board, but I did have a few minutes to try out the RotoVibe, Cantrell Wah and Fulltone PlimSoul running thru the recently upgraded SuperChamp with Genalex Gold Lion tubes and a Celestion Gold 8ohm 10” speaker.

It took thirty seconds to dial in a perfect, and I mean a scary perfect Trower Bridge of Sighs imitation. If I have time this week I promise to put up a demo on show and tell. I was shocked at the realism.

I want a Frampton imitation, and of course Jimi’s VooDoo Chile grind. Leslie West’s Queen scream and Clapton’s White Room wah.

There was a thread recently talking about not doing covers anymore. OK, I get it. I will always sound like me when push comes to shove, BUT, I can’t think of a better way to celebrate my guitar heroes than to do everything I can to imitate them for at least one lousy song.

This is too much fun!
Old 05-04-2020, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
I haven’t gotten delivery of the last couple of pedals that will finalize this new board, but I did have a few minutes to try out the RotoVibe, Cantrell Wah and Fulltone PlimSoul running thru the recently upgraded SuperChamp with Genalex Gold Lion tubes and a Celestion Gold 8ohm 10” speaker.

It took thirty seconds to dial in a perfect, and I mean a scary perfect Trower Bridge of Sighs imitation. If I have time this week I promise to put up a demo on show and tell. I was shocked at the realism.

I want a Frampton imitation, and of course Jimi’s VooDoo Chile grind. Leslie West’s Queen scream and Clapton’s White Room wah.

There was a thread recently talking about not doing covers anymore. OK, I get it. I will always sound like me when push comes to shove, BUT, I can’t think of a better way to celebrate my guitar heroes than to do everything I can to imitate them for at least one lousy song.

This is too much fun!
Hey very cool looking forward to hearing it
As far as "Not doing covers anymore " IMO sounds like an attempt to bolster ego. More so than the reality that all music is a product of what came before.

As far as sounding like you, that's a plus not even remotely a negative.
To my mind taking a cover and having it be recognizable to the original yet personalized, is the absolute crux of doing a cover ( think of Dylans "All Along the Watch Tower" covered by Jimi )
All of the greats speak of their playing and style influences ....

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-04-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Hey very cool looking forward to hearing it
As far as "Not doing covers anymore " IMO sounds like an attempt to bolster ego. More so than the reality that all music is a product of what came before.

As far as sounding like you, that's a plus not even remotely a negative.
To my mind taking a cover and having it be recognizable to the original yet personalized, is the absolute crux of doing a cover ( think of Dylans "All Along the Watch Tower" covered by Jimi )
All of the greats speak of their playing and style influences ....
I agree, KevWind. Nicely put.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars