The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-09-2020, 05:36 PM

Default Vox AC30C2X with 2 Alnico Blue Speakers

I just opened the box today and played my Strat and Ric 330 through it.

Amazing amp. I play through a Fender Deluxe usually, and I love it's cleans. The Vox has a totally different but equal thing going on.

I can also get amazing OD sounds by cranking it up.

Can't wait to jam with people when the dangers subside.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:35 PM

Default Vox AC30C2X with 2 Alnico Blue Speakers

I'm thinking they'll be jamming at your place - that puppy weighs 72 pounds, almost ten more than a Twin Reverb...
Old 04-09-2020, 08:23 PM

Yeah, wow, that's a lot of amp--but a great one. Enjoy!

I'm happy with my little AC4HW1, but I don't gig.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I'm thinking they'll be jamming at your place - that puppy weighs 72 pounds, almost ten more than a Twin Reverb...
It IS a heavy mutha. I didn't need an amp this size for regular gigs, but it'll be good to pull it out for outdoor gigs this summer. I'll get a forklift to load and unload it. Ha ha.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I was gonna say just that.

I have a Goldtone GA30RVS which very "vox" like.. (was a trace elliot vellocette before Gibson bought the company,, then stopped making the amps,, Bravo! sheesh..)

anyway, its 89lbs...... it stays places for a reason.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:08 AM

Oh yes, the amp has no casters.

But it has 3 handles....haha
Old 04-10-2020, 10:25 AM

Default Wow!

That is a LOT of amp. There is no substitute for a Vox when you want that sound. I don't think I could push to overdrive level without hearing protection LOL. I, too, play a Deluxe reverb and rarely get it past 3 (it's divine) and that's in my stand alone shop in the back yard. Enjoy that new amp, and yeah, put it on nice casters.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

As much as it has been copied and tweaked over the years by countless builders, you really can't beat a Vox with a pair of 12' Blues, with channels jumpered.

An absolutely sublime tone.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 04-10-2020, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Years ago I used to gig with a Marshal Bluesbreaker. I'd set the volume at ten and turn the guitar volume down for clean tones. When I wanted dirty leads I'd turn the guitar volume up. It worked perfect.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-10-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
...I didn't need an amp this size for regular gigs, but it'll be good to pull it out for outdoor gigs this summer...
Same reason I bought a '65 Super Reverb RI about ten years ago, when I was in my mid-50's...

Sits in my practice room/home office now, in favor of a final-run "blackface" Frontman 212R: looks like a '65 Twin, 100 watts of Fender clean (BTW the surf guys/gals love them - and prices are starting to rise accordingly) for outdoor/large-hall duty, weighs 25% less than the Super...

Seems like I'm aging out of this one as well, not to mention my go-to Bugera V22 (which sounds absolutely tubey-glorious, but scales in around the same 50 pounds with the upgraded Eminence Swamp Thang speaker) - use a dolly but still need to lift it in/out of my Outback, and I have no plans to join the road cast of Jersey Boys any time soon...

I'm a diehard lifetime guitar-cable-tube amp guy, who cut his musical teeth back in the days when blonde/blackface Fenders and blue-check Ampegs ruled the bandstands - that Frontman is simply a nod to convenience (I'm mostly a "big-clean" player anyway) - but for the first time I'm seriously considering unloading everything in favor of a Quilter Steelaire combo: analog solid-state, full-feature WYSIWYG controls, scaleable power from 1-200W, a 15" JBL-voiced speaker, and a 36-pound net weight - not tubes and not cheap at ~$1500 street, but it'll fill the roles of four of my current rigs...
Old 04-10-2020, 05:09 PM

I have a special edition electric blue DRRI that came with an Alnico Blue. The speaker has 102 dB sensitivity, so the amp can get louder before breakup occurs. I have been using it since 2010. It is a great speaker! I play the amp clean and use a Barber Direct Drive and Gain Changer for OD and grit.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 04-10-2020, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the information in the replies. I have a feeling that I'll spend a lot of time with this amp.

I'll probably let the amp stay clean. I love my OCD overdrive and my Ratt distortion pedals, and will use those, depending on the gig. The amp's master volume let's me get overdrive without having to crank the channel volume. Of course it sounds better when everything is full bore. I can imagine gigging without pedals.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
...I'll probably let the amp stay clean...Of course it sounds better when everything is full bore. I can imagine gigging without pedals.
Probably sound something like this:

Old 04-11-2020, 04:57 AM

If I can get that tone, I'll be ecstatic.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:09 AM

Oh mah forkin gourd, What a friggin' monster of an amplifier. I had some quality time with it yesterday and tested each of my electrics: Strat, Tele, Les Paul, and Ric 330.

I was playing a song in 3/4 arpeggios, and I tried it with each guitar. The best sounding, the fullest on the neck pup, the most sparkly bridge pup??? A surprise to me, the Ric. I know the Ric / Vox combination has a great rep, and I thought that it was based on the sparkly sounds.

The Ric was smooth, the Les Paul full but edgy the Tele is great, but it's still not as full sounding as the Ric. My Strat sounds excellent through it but does other things the Ric can't do and vise verse.

The Les Paul sounds better with dirt. Don't get me wrong, though, it sounds great through the Vox too. I'm just amazed at what the Vox does that the LP can't do in terms of the smooth fullness.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars