The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-06-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
One thing I am not understanding the meaning of is " bit of a gotcha" ?

And the term "shredder thin" is foreign to me also , is that a specific neck shape or a generic or slang term ? Kiesel lists neck as "Thin"--- THNN (whatever THNN means) Also it has a 10 inch radius and I am given to understand a "shredder" type neck tends to be a bit flatter from 12" to 20" radius ?

And for me a thin neck is one main reason I am interested, given I have fairly small hands and probably why I like my Taylor ce 810 over say the old Martin V shaped neck. My PRS Ce 24 which has what PRS calls the "Pattern Thin" neck is super nice for me as well.
Hey Kev, I've always used the term 'shredder thin' neck to represent the thickness of the neck. Like you said, usually these necks have at least a 12" radius (usually 14"-16"), and sometimes a compound radius.

Guessing that Kiesel is using the term "shredder thin" rather than simpler "shredder" because of the 10" radius and that they're only referring to the thickness of the neck.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Kev, I've always used the term 'shredder thin' neck to represent the thickness of the neck. Like you said, usually these necks have at least a 12" radius (usually 14"-16"), and sometimes a compound radius.

Guessing that Kiesel is using the term "shredder thin" rather than simpler "shredder" because of the 10" radius and that they're only referring to the thickness of the neck.
Ok so it must be a electric players generic term. Kiesel simply lists it as "thinner neck profile" and it also states The "Rapid Play" low action neck . But I had not seen or heard the term Shredder Thin, was why I asked

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-06-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:36 PM

So what color are you getting? These remind me of the new Reverend Greg Koch teles
Old 09-10-2019, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gill View Post
So what color are you getting? These remind me of the new Reverend Greg Koch teles
Still have not absolutely decided but if I do, It would be the Red

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 04-20-2020, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Resurrecting this...did you ever buy one?

Has anyone here bought one?

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-21-2020, 02:54 PM

While I can't speak for the Johnny Hiland model, I can speak about the quality of Carvin/Kiesel Guitars. I bought my first Carvin, an SC90S 20 years ago,then a Carvin AE185 followed by a Carvin Bolt, which is their Strat copy and last but not least in 2017 I bought a Kiesel CT6M. I can honestly say that each and every one of these are top notch instruments with fantastic playability and fit and finish on par with my Paul Reed Smith McCarty and quite frankly, better than most Gibsons I've seen in the last several years.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Resurrecting this...did you ever buy one?

Has anyone here bought one?
I have not yet, and if I do, I did not intend to order until summer because only now (the last two weeks) are the night time temps not in the teens or single digits, and I would not want having a guitar shipped, that was likely to be sitting overnight in an unheated truck van box at those kinds of temps.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 04-22-2020, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

I thought two things when I saw this post. One, "Oh great Johnny gets another free guitar". I've lost count on the number of guitars he's "endorsed".

And Two: On the Gear Page there's a 535 reply (as of today) post on this brand that I'd suggest anyone who's interested in placing an order take the time to read.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I thought two things when I saw this post. One, "Oh great Johnny gets another free guitar". I've lost count on the number of guitars he's "endorsed".

And Two: On the Gear Page there's a 535 reply (as of today) post on this brand that I'd suggest anyone who's interested in placing an order take the time to read.
Ya he (Johnny H) tends to go overboard on what he likes and why, and has certainly "promoted" a lot of different products guitars, amps, pickups, pedals etc. And I tend to take his effuse descriptions with grain of salt.
That said :

As far as I know (And I could be wrong but ) I believe he has had "endorsement" deals with EB, PRS, and now Kiesel .

Non of which has any remote relevance as to whether or not this Kiesel would might be a great T style guitar .

Yes I actually read all the way through that thread. As per usual a lot of silly nonsense, interspersed with some usable info. Myself I actually liked the look of the one specific guitar that started the thread, and would have been thrilled with it. And a couple other customers posting in the thread apparently have not been happy with customer service. But on the other hand quite a few people, in fact the vast majority posting in thread seemed quite satisfied.

As far as the owners purported behavior in a few specific instances, if true ,, he is young and hopefully still learning. Interestingly enough some people do not like Paul Reed Smith's attitude either, and post profusely about it, but I am thrilled with my PRS
Thanks for the heads up but all told, not an issue for me, if I decide to order..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 04-22-2020 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

I've met and spent a little time w/ Paul Reed Smith years ago at a NAMM show, my impression was a decent fellow w/ a point of view who reminded me nothing of Kiesel (as by his own words).

Quote:
Ya he (Johnny H) tends to go overboard on what he likes and why, and has certainly "promoted" a lot of different products guitars, amps, pickups, pedals etc. And I tend to take his effuse descriptions with grain of salt.
That said :

As far as I know (And I could be wrong but ) I believe he has had "endorsement" deals with EB, PRS, and now Kiesel .

Non of which has any remote relevance as to whether or not this Kiesel would might be a great T style guitar .

Yes I actually read all the way through that thread. As per usual a lot of silly nonsense, interspersed with some usable info. Myself I actually liked the look of the one specific guitar that started the thread, and would have been thrilled with it. And a couple other customers posting in the thread apparently have not been happy with customer service. But on the other hand quite a few people, in fact the vast majority posting in thread seemed quite satisfied.

As far as the owners purported behavior in a few specific instances, if true ,, he is young and hopefully still learning. Interestingly enough some people do not like Paul Reed Smith's attitude either, and post profusely about it, but I am thrilled with my PRS
Thanks for the heads up but all told, not an issue for me, if I decide to order..

Last edited by stephenT; 04-22-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I've met and spent a little time w/ Paul Reed Smith years ago at a NAMM show, my impression was a decent fellow w/ a point of view who reminded nothing of Kiesel (as by his own words).
I've never met Paul but from what I've read and watched in numerous videos, I like his quirky personality. My point was,,,, not everybody shares that view, and that fact is meaningless to me, just as is most of the "hub bub" about Kiesel on that other forum thread ......

And again not really sure how any of that relates to objectively accessing this specific 3 single coil hybrid T/S style guitar ?

Moving in more positive direction I am also not particularly committed to only the Keisel JH model, or the company per. se. And if you have an alternate suggestion for a 3 single coil T/S style guitar I am certainly interested in entertaining any suggestions. Thanks, Kev

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 04-23-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've never met Paul but from what I've read and watched in numerous videos, I like his quirky personality. My point was,,,, not everybody shares that view, and that fact is meaningless to me, just as is most of the "hub bub" about Kiesel on that other forum thread ......

And again not really sure how any of that relates to objectively accessing this specific 3 single coil hybrid T/S style guitar ?

Moving in more positive direction I am also not particularly committed to only the Keisel JH model, or the company per. se. And if you have an alternate suggestion for a 3 single coil T/S style guitar I am certainly interested in entertaining any suggestions. Thanks, Kev
I'm still intrigued by this model. And Kiesel has a return policy that seems pretty solid unless you order an option that negates it. There are no such options on this model, as far as I know, so buying a new guitar has little risk in terms of being happy with the quality. Even so, part of my rationale for looking at that model was a desire for a hardtail 3 single-coil guitar. I decided to go with a hardtail Strat. Found one on Reverb that ticked all the boxes. I'd still love to play a sample of this model, though.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars