The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-09-2014, 10:48 AM

Default My tip for tough barre chords

I have written many songs that have a ton of barre chords. Not sure what I was thinking. My fingers were getting pretty tired, especially my index finger on my left hand. So I somehow (I don't remember when) started laying my middle finger on top of my index for a little extra support. I must say, it works pretty well.

Anyone else do this or is it just me?

Old 02-09-2014, 12:20 PM

Personally I'd suggest you avoid making a habit of it, it stops you using your middle finger for anything else.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I use lots of barre chords and I double up like when it fits the chord and fits into the tune. A lot of people do. Might as well save energy and get a more solid barre.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-09-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydeslide View Post
Personally I'd suggest you avoid making a habit of it, it stops you using your middle finger for anything else.
I only use it for minor chords. Kind of hard for majors (unless you are lucky enough to have been born with a 6th finger).
Old 02-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Guest4562

Same as Rick, I'll double barre if the situation warrants. Always have done that and never really thought about it.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:52 PM

Bad habit that limits your playing and is unnecessary with a good setup and good technique.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:26 PM

On barre minors in the Eminor shape (pic in the OP), I do put my middle finger slightly to the side, not on top as shown, but touching the index finger

I do so more to get that finger out of the way than to use it exert pressure.

I think you should work to get the index finger nice and strong so it can do all the barres -- Emaj shape barres, the Amin shape barres, and A shape barres -- absolutely critical chords for playing.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Bad habit that limits your playing and is unnecessary with a good setup and good technique.
I'm with Howard on this one. Doing barres with two fingers takes one finger right out the fretting equation. By slightly rolling the index finger of the left hand to the left you eliminate the natural joint indentations that tend to cause buzzing and dead notes under the barre while leaving 2,3, and 4 free to do more interesting melodic figures.
The other more serious issue here is excess tension. That's something to be avoided at all costs imho!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
On barre minors in the Eminor shape (pic in the OP), I do put my middle finger slightly to the side, not on top as shown, but touching the index finger

I do so more to get that finger out of the way than to use it exert pressure.

I think you should work to get the index finger nice and strong so it can do all the barres -- Emaj shape barres, the Amin shape barres, and A shape barres -- absolutely critical chords for playing.
Obviously it would not work on the chord shapes Emaj shape barres, the Amin shape barres, and A shape barres, as well as not work on many other chords or situations where you need the use of your second finger elsewhere. So it is somewhat difficult to make a "habit" of it. Where it does fit in it is useful.

Last edited by rick-slo; 02-09-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Completely disagree. I played a 3 hour gig (typical) playing solo. Many of my songs utilize fingerstyle over a minor chord (sometimes in this position).

I would not get through gig without this "bad habit" and I would guess that many others would not be able to either.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
Same as Rick, I'll double barre if the situation warrants. Always have done that and never really thought about it.
That's the funny thing.. I never thought about it either until I looked down the other night. I was like "Huh?"
Old 02-09-2014, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

As in the picture I keep my middle finger further toward the bridge, not directly over the index finger. The little bit of extra
pressure is more than enough for a little rest and a solid barre, and you are less out of position for what may come next.

Here is me and how I do it. Just kidding, it is Julian Bream, but what does he know about technique?

Last edited by rick-slo; 02-09-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
I'm with Howard on this one. Doing barres with two fingers takes one finger right out the fretting equation. By slightly rolling the index finger of the left hand to the left you eliminate the natural joint indentations that tend to cause buzzing and dead notes under the barre while leaving 2,3, and 4 free to do more interesting melodic figures.
The other more serious issue here is excess tension. That's something to be avoided at all costs imho!!!
Trevor... I actually posted a pic of my "rolling" my index finger about a month ago. So I agree completely with you on that. But, for many of us that doesn't cut it for long gigs. If I need that finger in my next movement, I don't use it in my barre. But if I need it, it makes perfect sense to have it available.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:39 AM

So once and for all - is it a squeezing action between the thumb and 1st finger, or is it the 1st finger pushing back on the neck, that makes a barre cord?

(Newbie hijacking the thread a little)
Old 02-10-2014, 05:07 AM

If you ever watch Thom Bresh's Homespun video, he shows this technique - then he notes that this is how Merle (Travis) did it. So if it works for you, go for it.

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write