The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-29-2012, 08:15 PM

Default Getting frustrated barring chords!

Trying to learn Stairway to Heaven and I just can't see to keep my index finger down while the other ones press on the strings. How do people do it? I have shorter fingers if that makes a difference. It's very discouraging.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:20 PM

make sure your action isnt too high, I had that problem with my first guitar because I didnt know any better. It still take quite a while to get it down. Eventually, it wont be a problem at all, for the time being, just learn cheater Bm and F

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 12-29-2012, 08:22 PM

It really has nothing to do with the size of your fingers...I learned to play barre chords when I was leanring guitar at 13. It just takes repetition like most everything else but I will give you a tip that worked for me. When barring, roll the pressure of your index finger slightly towards the nut so that you are sort of applying some of the down pressure onto the side of your index finger instead of straight down on the pad. Experiment slightly until you get all 6 strings sounding clean, then repeat a few thousand times Really though, it's not that bad with practice after you find the configuration that produces the right sound.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:22 PM

First of all the setup on your guitar makes a big difference, as does the gauge of the strings. If you have a 13mil high E, you're going to have problems with barre chords, no matter how low the action is. If you haven't been playing long, you have to build up the strength in your hand. Lots of practice is what's needed. Have a reputable luthier set up your guitar. I hear lots of people using 12mil high E's. I don't know how they do it. I use extra light strings, 10mil high E and 47mil low E. My guitars are all very loud guitars so it works well for me. I wouldn't recommend anything higher than a 11mil high E.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 12-29-2012, 08:30 PM

I second the notion that you should check your action to see if it's too high. Nuts slots that are too high can make barre chords very difficult, especially the F chord. Also, maybe try a set of lighter strings.

Good luck.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:32 PM

Already tuned down a half step. I can barr the chords initially---the problem is once I get the other fingers in position, my index fingers lifts slightly. I've tried moving my index finger to the side, straight, on etc but as soon as my other fingers go on the string the same thing happens.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:32 PM

Hey good job for trying, Paul. My first comment is this: I am no worse off for not having learned stairway to heaven after 28 years of playing!!!!. I did actually just learn it because I was asked to play it at an event.

Second, bar chords will come, probably almost without trying but most certainly by playing them in positions that are less frustrating (I doubt real guitar teachers would agree?????).

Third, you can always take this approach for improving: watch good guitar players who do simple things (YouTube etc). I watched. John lee hooker video the other week and loved what I got from his unorthodox thumb-index finger technique. I don't even try to learn what they're playing. I just mimic their style and do my own thing!!!!

Keep up the good work!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:39 PM

I think I have light strings. What brand of extra light do you recommend?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:42 PM

Paul--I think the others have provided some great advice. Two other things that I have noticed is that first I prefer chunkier necks (in general), but especially when playing bar chords. I do not know what neck profiles are on the guitars that are in your stable, but if they are thinner then you just might make a trip to a guitar store and try out some other profiles and see how those work for you (sorry not trying to advocate GAS) Second, I would recommend paying close attention to full and partial bars. There is no reason to strain to get a full bar when it is not needed.

Good luck with the journey.

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 12-29-2012, 08:46 PM

Default Barre chords

One thing I noticed, and no one's asked yet so I will. Are you trying this on your 6 strings or your 12 string?

Barre chords on a 12 string can be especially hard for a beginning player. if they're easier up the neck than the first couple of frets you might want to have the string height at the nut checked.

Above all, stick with it, you'll get there.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I think I have light strings. What brand of extra light do you recommend?
Try custom lights such as D'Addario EJ26 Phosphor Bronze Custom Light, or D'Addario EJ13 80/20 Bronze Custom Light.

Seriously though check your guitar's nut height. Too high of slots can make barre chords difficult.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:00 PM

Lots of great advice given - I would second that trying out different guitars and neck types might make a big difference and using partial barre chords in place of full barres.

Never use metronomes; they screw up my timing!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
One thing I noticed, and no one's asked yet so I will. Are you trying this on your 6 strings or your 12 string?

Barre chords on a 12 string can be especially hard for a beginning player. if they're easier up the neck than the first couple of frets you might want to have the string height at the nut checked.

Above all, stick with it, you'll get there.
12 string. My luthier checked it out and said the string height looks OK.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Already tuned down a half step. I can barr the chords initially---the problem is once I get the other fingers in position, my index fingers lifts slightly. I've tried moving my index finger to the side, straight, on etc but as soon as my other fingers go on the string the same thing happens.
To me this indicates you just need to be patient and with practice your hand will strengthen more and barre chords will become easier to do.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:16 PM

Barre chords are tough for lots and lots of people. DO NOT GIVE-UP! A good setup and practice, practice, and more practice will get you where you want to be.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write