The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-21-2012, 11:56 PM

Default Fingerstyle blues

I'm looking to expand my blues repertoire, and was wondering if I could get some suggestions? I'm looking mostly some good fingerstyle blues songs, but really anything would be good.
early 1930's A-Type mandolin (restored)

Sold:
'07 PRS SE Singlecut
'14 Eastman AC720
Old 04-22-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsplayer12 View Post
I'm looking to expand my blues repertoire, and was wondering if I could get some suggestions? I'm looking mostly some good fingerstyle blues songs, but really anything would be good.
You might consider two songs I have seen in Acoustic Guitar Magazine - Going Down the Road Feeling Bad, and Deep River Blues. Also, Will Fly has a easy version of Hesitation Blues on his webpage.

But I will also be interested in other suggestions.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:18 AM

A good book for this could be Acousic Guitar - Roots and Blues Fingerstyle Guitar by Steve James. Good luck,

Billy
Old 04-22-2012, 01:00 AM

Deep River Blues is a great one. Watch this one for a simple walkthrough by Doc Watson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE2swkx9WXE

Skip to around 1:38
Old 04-22-2012, 01:22 AM
ralphj

"Booker's Guitar", by Eric Bibb - the whole album, not just the title track!
Old 04-22-2012, 02:19 AM

Default Create your own

The key of E is very good for blues, and it is possible to do a few little runs and finger-lifts in that key.

The only chords required are E, A and B7. Of course you can play E a variety of ways and that just makes it more fun.

I have a video of myself playing a blues in E, but I haven't put it up on YouTube yet.

John Hammond has a lot of good blues songs also. 32-20 Blues is one tune that I learned a lot from. Takes practice, but it is worthwhile.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:17 AM

Check out Toby Walkers website, i did and i`m currently working through the `C` Pack. Agreat set of lessons by a wonderful teacher. Also Stefan Grossmann`s site has a huge amount of stuff on there. Enjoy.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:19 AM
Charter Member

Try to go to the source, all the folks mentioned are great but to understand the music, listen to the originals.

Rather than load you up I'll suggest three to start off, by no means complete but will give you a feel, (hopefully) of real acoustic blues from three eras.

Robert Johnson The Centennial Collection (a newer remastering) is the bible.
Mississippi John Hurt - The Complete Studio Recordings will confound but enlighten.
J. B. Lenoir - Vietnam Blues: The Complete L&R Recording. An overlooked classic but one of the best acoustic blues albums ever recorded.

Here's a taste of JB. Chops and attitude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azt0s...eature=related
Old 04-22-2012, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
Try to go to the source, all the folks mentioned are great but to understand the music, listen to the originals.

Rather than load you up I'll suggest three to start off, by no means complete but will give you a feel, (hopefully) of real acoustic blues from three eras.

Robert Johnson The Centennial Collection (a newer remastering) is the bible.
Mississippi John Hurt - The Complete Studio Recordings will confound but enlighten.
J. B. Lenoir - Vietnam Blues: The Complete L&R Recording. An overlooked classic but one of the best acoustic blues albums ever recorded.

Here's a taste of JB. Chops and attitude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azt0s...eature=related
Good shout mate, J B Lenoir often gets overlooked, i think Wim Wenders made a Blues film about J B. It really is a must see, a lovely person and a wonderful player, Vietnam Blues is a classic. Cheers.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:05 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
I agree. Whenever I'm looking for new songs I'll re-visit as many of the early players as possible.

I'd also suggest listening to the following, as all of these folks are wonderful fingerstyle players.

• Etta Baker - I hung out and studied from her at home in NC. She's more along the lines of 'folk blues' but well worth listening to. She does a great version of 'One Dime Blues.'

• Bo Carter - anything. Be prepared to laugh a LOT at the lyrics. He was an incredible fingerstyle player who employed the alternating bass method... much like Mississippi John Hurt. 'Cigarette Blues'

• Big Bill Broonzy - his early stuff where he plays solo. Long Tall Mama

• Mance Lipscomb - One of the masters of the single, driving, droning bass. 'Shake Shake Mama'

• Blind Lemon Jefferson - One of my personal favorites. The guy had an endless supply of licks. 'Matchbox Blues.'

• Blind Blake - a seriously tasteful guitarist in the early style of blues/rags.
'Diddy Wah Diddy'

The list goes on and on and on.

However, it's also fun to hear how some contemporary players covered those same songs. This may give you an idea of how to approach the songs in your manner.

iTunes is a wonderful tool for doing this. Here's an example of how to do what I'm talking about.

• Go to the iTunes store and in the search box type in 'Mississippi John Hurt.' That'll bring up a ton of his songs. Start listening to the clips and when you find a song that strikes your fancy make a note of it - pun intended. Let's use the example of 'Spike Driver Blues.'

• Now hit the Power Search button and type in the name of that song in the 'Title' box. You'll see that Doc Watson did a version of that, as well as Dave Van Ronk.

Good luck and have fun 'treasure hunting.'
Old 04-22-2012, 05:30 AM

Thumbs up one more

rag time in open tunings. It is fascinating
Old 04-22-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
I agree. Whenever I'm looking for new songs I'll re-visit as many of the early players as possible.

I'd also suggest listening to the following, as all of these folks are wonderful fingerstyle players.

• Etta Baker - I hung out and studied from her at home in NC. She's more along the lines of 'folk blues' but well worth listening to. She does a great version of 'One Dime Blues.'

• Bo Carter - anything. Be prepared to laugh a LOT at the lyrics. He was an incredible fingerstyle player who employed the alternating bass method... much like Mississippi John Hurt. 'Cigarette Blues'

• Big Bill Broonzy - his early stuff where he plays solo. Long Tall Mama

• Mance Lipscomb - One of the masters of the single, driving, droning bass. 'Shake Shake Mama'

• Blind Lemon Jefferson - One of my personal favorites. The guy had an endless supply of licks. 'Matchbox Blues.'

• Blind Blake - a seriously tasteful guitarist in the early style of blues/rags.
'Diddy Wah Diddy'

The list goes on and on and on.

However, it's also fun to hear how some contemporary players covered those same songs. This may give you an idea of how to approach the songs in your manner.

iTunes is a wonderful tool for doing this. Here's an example of how to do what I'm talking about.

• Go to the iTunes store and in the search box type in 'Mississippi John Hurt.' That'll bring up a ton of his songs. Start listening to the clips and when you find a song that strikes your fancy make a note of it - pun intended. Let's use the example of 'Spike Driver Blues.'

• Now hit the Power Search button and type in the name of that song in the 'Title' box. You'll see that Doc Watson did a version of that, as well as Dave Van Ronk.

Good luck and have fun 'treasure hunting.'
I couldn't agree more with yours and others comments about re-visiting the early blues players.

Here's a few more. To learn from these guys you need really nimble fingers.

Brownie McGhee

Rev. Gary Davis

Skip James

Blind Boy Fuller
Old 04-22-2012, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Look at Jorma Kaukonen's (aka Hot Tuna) rendition of old blues stuff for which there are books and DVDs available....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-22-2012, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

I got interested in Blues about a year ago. As I looked for songs to cut my teeth on, I set four criteria: comparatively easy and interesting, fun, or familiar. Mostly the song had to be fun. If you’ve been playing for a while my list will be old hat. But for those of us who have recently taken an interest -

32-20 Blues - Robert Johnson
Love in Vain – Robert Johnson, Keb Mo
Sweet Home Chicago – Robert Johnson & everybody else who ever picked up a guitar.
Hey, Hey – Bill Broonzy, Eric Clapton
Willie Mae – Bill Broonzy
Stevie’s Blues – Tommy Emmanuel
Pride and Joy – Stevie Ray Vaughan
Oh, Darling – Beatles
Baby What You Want Me to Do – Jimmy Reed
Bright Lights, Big City – Jimmy Reed
Love Me Two Times – Doors
Hard Time Killing Floor Blues – Skip James, Chris King
Boom, Boom – John Lee Hooker

When I pick a song I spend some time surfing as many versions as I can find on the Internet. Then in the finest tradition of the blues, I steal the good stuff.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:40 AM

Default Some fingerstyle blues

I hope this helps out a little:
1) "Drive-in" - Jerry Reed
2) "Blue Finger" - Jerry Reed
3) "Funky Junk" - Jerry Reed
4) "Rhythm Guitar" - Jerry Reed & Chet Atkins
5) "Snowy Morning Blues" - James P. Johnson (arr. Guy Van Duser)

Many more out there, but these are 5 really good one's in my opinion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write