The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Talking Took out ES...myself!!!!!yea me!!!

First of all..I had a very good 314ce that I couldn't sell...it had the aa ES system in it and in my opinion sounded bad plugged in. I'm not fond of any Es system..especially the aa 1st version. Well, I couldn't sell the guitar and had been leaving it out in my writing room on a stand. Yesterday, I noticed that something (a picture frame...I think) had fallen off the ledge above the guitar (either cats or cleaning ladies..??)..and cracked the guitar on the bottom edge. (By the way....20 minutes after finding this I got an offer from someone wanting the dang thing...)...anyway, with the side busted..not real bad...doesn't affect performance...and it is on the bottom..I decided to experiment. Here's the picture of the crack:

Trust me, I'm not real good with wood or anything..but I have a band saw and a table sander..(thought about building guitars for awhile so got some of the equipment in the garage). Anyway, I found a piece of mahogony (a tailblock I ordered 4 years ago)..cut out an oval shape...eyeballed where the screws should go...drilled some holes...took out the Es pre-amp...installed an older version of the LR Baggs element I had taken out of another guitar...and BANG!!!!....

THE FINISHED END PIN IS ON PAGE TWO AT THE END!!!!!!

It's not perfect...but. now, run thru my Fishman aura pedal it sounds SO MUCH BETTER!!!....
I'm not ashamed to play it out now...sometimes good things come from something bad happening!!!!!!

Last edited by $ongWriter; 09-30-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: mispel
Old 08-15-2010, 06:31 PM

Just Kidding
Old 08-15-2010, 06:51 PM

Very cool! Wish I had the guts to do the same... I can't handle the ES sound, but have a hard time justifying deconstruction as it's an LTD nine-series... so that would kill it's value.

Great job...
Old 08-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Default understand

Yea, if this had been a higher end Taylor I wouldn't have tried it. But, with the small crack the value probably went down to $500 bucks..and I wouldn't sell it for that. It plays great...so, I thought what the heck...it's really amazing how good it sounds with the element pick-up....
Old 08-15-2010, 09:42 PM

Good gutar to experiment with (not being super expensive). Looks like you did real good. Congrats! Sorry about the crack.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Default I forgot...

After I got the baggs installed I decided to take the strings off and take out the entire ES system..pre amp and all...wires...the only thing left in the guitar is the sensors and neck pickup...they wouldn't budge....then I attached one of those stick on tuners over the holes...it looks better...and it's lighter....
Old 08-16-2010, 12:15 PM

Interesting subject, $ongwriter. One of my musician friends has added an Element system (with a second strap-jack) to his Taylor 810ce (because he just couldn't get used to the ES) and another is contemplating adding an Anthem system to his 914ce (because he doesn't like the ES).

The first time I heard the 810ce amplified, I thought to myself that it was one of the best sounding ES systems that I'd yet heard. I had to laugh when he showed me the second jack and explained that he was using an Element system.

Gary
Old 08-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Default me too

Funny thing is..this time yesterday I had two ES equipped Taylors...now I have none. I just traded my 710 to a used GS-8 with an element pick-up already installed. I've given the ES system a chance, it's cost me 7 or 8 thousand dollars trying different versions, different guitars...I'm done. I'm gonna put an Anthem in the GS-8 just after Christmas, it's the best system I've heard...
Old 08-16-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
Funny thing is..this time yesterday I had two ES equipped Taylors...now I have none. I just traded my 710 to a used GS-8 with an element pick-up already installed. I've given the ES system a chance, it's cost me 7 or 8 thousand dollars trying different versions, different guitars...I'm done. I'm gonna put an Anthem in the GS-8 just after Christmas, it's the best system I've heard...

Glad to hear that, as I just sold my Aura Spectrum DI and will soon be equipping a new guitar with an Anthem system. While I do like the Spectrum w/Fishman USTs, I needed to add a PreSonus EQ3B (3 band parametric EQ device) to the signal chain for optimum results. I'm hoping that the Anthem system, plus a Fishman Platinum preamp, will be just as effective or moreso. I'm sure it'll be less hassle.

Gary
Old 08-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Wink That's what I use

I have the Anthem in my Martin and right now I'm running it thru the Fishman Plat EQ..I like it sounds great, But, I tried the LR Baggs Venue the other night and love the built in tuner that comes with it...in the future I may switch to that just because it's all in one unit....but, either way the pick up will sound great!!!
Old 08-16-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Good for you. I also just got rid of an ES Taylor (414ce 2009 Spring LTD) to buy a new GS8. It just went into the shop today for a D-Tar Wavelength installation.

I'm loving the GS8. After the darned Elixir 80/20 strings calmed down, it's got a great bass reverb and really suits my strumming style. Good stuff. Looking forward to throwing some PBs on it for even more richness.

Adam
Old 08-16-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I have the Anthem in my Martin and right now I'm running it thru the Fishman Plat EQ..I like it sounds great, But, I tried the LR Baggs Venue the other night and love the built in tuner that comes with it...in the future I may switch to that just because it's all in one unit....but, either way the pick up will sound great!!!
I'm using the tuner in my Harmony-G pedal for solo shows, as its important to be in tune with that pedal.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Default 1st time out

Well, I'm doing a writers nite tonight so I brought it with me...1st time to play out with a Taylor with no ES system....can't wait!!!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm doing a writers nite tonight so I brought it with me...1st time to play out with a Taylor with no ES system....can't wait!!!!!
Let us know how it goes. I'm also looking forward to a non-ES GS8. :-)

First nights playing out for us will be in September sometime.

Adam
Old 08-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Default went great!!!

It went pretty good. The sound check consisted of plug in, hit it 3 times and go...at first I had the treble a little low but before I played I stopped, bent down and adjusted it. The best thing was the sound man didn't say during the "soundcheck" "I'm not getting anything...is it turned up???...not getting anything...so, all in all it worked great.....the sound system at this club normally sounds really good but tonight every mic in the place was feeding back....that didn't help but I was pleased with the guitar!!!...Plus, this club has alot of tables that are close together and I banged the guitar twice on the way to and from the stage...but, with this guitar that's no big deal...(see previous post showing the crack!!)...and, had 4 good comments on my second song which I only wrote this past week....a good night!!!!...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification