The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-12-2020, 07:54 AM

Default Kalamazoo KG-14 headstock

I've seen this guitar with 2 different headstocks, the more common straight tapered one and a less common more rounded one.
Anyone does know why 2 different headstocks on this model and if there is a different in quality, woods or anything else that makes one production better than the other?
Old 07-12-2020, 09:34 AM

If I recall correctly (which is not always he case these days) the Kalamazoo 14 series flattops had three headstock styles if you count the KGN-14. It was just chronological and does not indicate any difference in build quality.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:13 AM

With Gibson[Kalamazoo], nothing is etched in stone, but IIRC, there were four headstock shapes--the first, a squared off Martinesque style, the "barn roof" style, a "gumby" style also used on the Recording Kings of the late '30's, and lastly, the Gibson style "open book" style. The first three, were typically 1-3/4" nut width, unless it was a 12 fret model which were typically 1-7/8" nuts. The open book headstock design came with both 1-11/16" and 1-3/4" widths. They were all the same quality and the same tone to my ears. HTH, Bill
Old 07-12-2020, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

I’m with Bill on dates but not tone. The Martin type was 1933 and 1934, the barn roof was from about 1935-1938 and the Recording King swoopy and Gibsonesque were late 30’s into early 1940’s. I am a big fan of the 1933-35 but by 1937 they were heavier built and I wouldn’t buy one with the latter 2 headstocks. I have owned 3 KG-11s and 3 KG-14s but all before 1936. I keep buying the 1933-34 KG-11s but ultimately my Waterloo WL-12 stays and I release the Kalamazoo, only to search Reverb and start all over.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:29 PM

Thank you for the precious info.
The one I was looking at it is the 3rd tipe, the gumby or swoopy one.
I didn't know they are heavier built. Thank so much for this warning.
I keep searching
Old 07-12-2020, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso612 View Post
Thank you for the precious info.
The one I was looking at it is the 3rd tipe, the gumby or swoopy one.
I didn't know they are heavier built. Thank so much for this warning.
I keep searching
I didn't mean to dissuade you. It doesn't mean it won't be very good. It is still one of the lightest guitars built and the superlightweight ladder braced guitars of 1933 may not live up well under the tension and lack of humidity controls in the early '30s. Remember these were built by Gibson to be very inexpensive during the Great Depression. Many that couldn't afford a Gibson couldn't pay extra for a case. Nowadays we stress about extreme humidity and temperature control and buy $1000 Calton cases. Back then, it was a strap made of cotton and you threw it on your back, under your bed, or on the wall. Most houses had very little heat and insulation let alone A/C. The slightly heavier builds were done to make the guitars last longer and tonally they are still quite good. The 1933-34s are that much harder to find in great shape so you may get a bit lower price for a later model, but I'd still try it first.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:20 PM

While I have seen the squared off headstocks on KG-11s I do not recall seeing one on a KG-14.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:31 PM

These guitars cost less than a hard shell case when new so they rarely had them during their first life, which is when they were often really pounded. But they are still very light guitars (I have a '36 Carson J. Robison, which was sold my Montgomery Wards). If you get a good one, these are really wonderful guitars. I never heard that the newer ones were lighter, and the one I have is the lightest guitar I own. I never understood why anyone would want a Waterloo which is a modern copy of the KG-14. A good one will ring like silver and shine like gold (though a bad one will fall apart in your hands...)
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion