The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-21-2020, 07:23 PM

Default Neck advise needed

I'm a 73 year old beginner (started six years ago but due to multiple hand and back surgeries haven't been able to play many of those years) and I have to decide whether to replace the neck on my American Strat with a 1 3/4" by 24.75" one or just replace it with an Eastman. I've played mostly Eastman acoustics and love the neck, bought the Strat on recommendation from my teacher I had for a year, and I've learned to love it. I've tried to find someone that makes a neck like I have on the Eastman's and the more common builders, like Warmoth, and no one has the combination of width and scale. A few days ago I was on this forum and someone mentioned Musikraft, so I went to their site and yes, indeed they can make one for less than Warmoth and match my needs. They say I just bolt it on and reset the intonation, easy right? I've never done this before, can it actually be that easy? Next, would I be better off replacing it with an Eastman, like a 185mx maybe? I love the Strat sound, I've never heard an Eastman electric and if it works, the neck change would be whole lot cheaper and I get to keep the Strat. I have to mention that I can hardly play the acoustics any longer due to arthritis in the hands but I have no problem with the Strat and using 9's. Thanks for any info you can give an old man wanting to continue his hobby.
Hagstrom Swede
Fender Amer Strat-Honeyburst
Epiphone Pro ES 339
Old 04-21-2020, 08:00 PM

First off, my compliments on your determination...

While installing a new neck on a Strat is indeed a "bolt-on" affair - far less complex than a neck reset/replacement on a set-neck (Gibson, Guild, Gretsch, etc.) guitar - there's a bit more to it than you might have been led to believe, and I'd recommend paying the bucks to have it done professionally; in addition to resetting the intonation chances are you're going to need to have the nut slots filed and the truss rod adjusted - not to mention having the neck shimmed/shaved for proper geometry at the body joint and possibly having a fret or two leveled - and unless you have the tools/skills I'd sooner leave it to one who does, if only in the interest of protecting your investment...
Old 04-21-2020, 09:39 PM

Yep, if you are going to replace the neck on your Stratocaster, just make sure that it will fit your Fender body. (Otherwise you will have to add shims to fill any gaps where the neck meets the body and I think you want to avoid this if you can). Agree also that it's much easier and safer to have a Luthier to do the job if that's the way you want to go.

If you do replace the neck on your Stratocaster, you might think about putting the original Fender neck back on if ever you decide to sell later on. (Retail value much higher with Fender on the headstock).

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2020, 01:14 AM
Charter Member

Too bad you can't go 1 11/16 (1/16th difference) on the nut, or the Warmoth conversion neck (24.75" scale) would be a choice. I trust them when it comes to fitting the pocket and that intonation is possible. Certainly many choices for woods, neck shape & radius. I have a clone guitar they can't fit, because intonation would be too far off.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 04-22-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exterra1 View Post
I'm a 73 year old beginner (started six years ago but due to multiple hand and back surgeries haven't been able to play many of those years) and I have to decide whether to replace the neck on my American Strat with a 1 3/4" by 24.75" one or just replace it with an Eastman. I've played mostly Eastman acoustics and love the neck, bought the Strat on recommendation from my teacher I had for a year, and I've learned to love it. I've tried to find someone that makes a neck like I have on the Eastman's and the more common builders, like Warmoth, and no one has the combination of width and scale. A few days ago I was on this forum and someone mentioned Musikraft, so I went to their site and yes, indeed they can make one for less than Warmoth and match my needs. They say I just bolt it on and reset the intonation, easy right? I've never done this before, can it actually be that easy? Next, would I be better off replacing it with an Eastman, like a 185mx maybe? I love the Strat sound, I've never heard an Eastman electric and if it works, the neck change would be whole lot cheaper and I get to keep the Strat. I have to mention that I can hardly play the acoustics any longer due to arthritis in the hands but I have no problem with the Strat and using 9's. Thanks for any info you can give an old man wanting to continue his hobby.
You might reconsider making the change if you "have no problem with the Strat and using 9's." Otherwise , I'd agree with the advice above if you know a tech who actually knows what he\she is doing. You could also try doing it yourself and if you don't like the result take it to a tech.

But as someone who has been stupidly obsessed with minutia before, I'd say stick with what you have, don't buy trouble.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

I did just that! I bought a new John Mayer Strat with a bad neck and replaced it with a Musikraft, 24 3/4 ebony board and reverse headstock. I did all the setup required and it is a stellar guitar. I am 77 and now prefer the shorter scale. Fit was perfect and I did a vintage tint finish and the look is what I wanted. -- Darwin
Old 04-22-2020, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

....fwiw....you can get a Warmoth neck with a 1-3/4” nut and a shorter scale...(their conversion neck is 24-3/4” scale)....and pick from a number of profiles...my current fave is the 59 round back...
Old 04-22-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
First off, my compliments on your determination...

While installing a new neck on a Strat is indeed a "bolt-on" affair - far less complex than a neck reset/replacement on a set-neck (Gibson, Guild, Gretsch, etc.) guitar - there's a bit more to it than you might have been led to believe, and I'd recommend paying the bucks to have it done professionally; in addition to resetting the intonation chances are you're going to need to have the nut slots filed and the truss rod adjusted - not to mention having the neck shimmed/shaved for proper geometry at the body joint and possibly having a fret or two leveled - and unless you have the tools/skills I'd sooner leave it to one who does, if only in the interest of protecting your investment...
+1.

exterra1 (OP) Although it 'should' and sometimes is just an easy thing to replace the neck there are times when some tweaking is involved, as Steve mentioned. As far as necks, Warmoth is probably the best recognized name for customized replacement necks, including the conversion 24 3/4" neck. Make sure you talk to them on the phone and they will walk you though to ensure you're getting what you want. I have a Warmoth neck for my Parts-o-Caster I built 10 years ago.

Also, make sure you know what you want with the fret size.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars