The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-26-2018, 05:52 AM

We're usually a duo, just acoustic guitars, mandolin, resonator, harmonica, we swap them around. If a bass player shows up he has his own rig.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 08-26-2018, 07:20 AM

Switched from 12s to 10s and couldn't be happier. I have had a number of speakers over the last decade, all 12s, until recently switching to the QSC K10.2s. They're loud, clear, disperse well, and are an accurate reproduction of guitar and vocals. I use them for our five-piece band as well and they handle that without problem. Of course, with the band, I'm using subs as well. I agree with those suggesting that if you want a little more low end, find a small 12" powered sub. Like another member mentioned previously, the K8.2s have their place in the world as well, and they might be just what you need depending on the venue. They're an amazing speaker!
Old 08-27-2018, 08:07 AM

With the current crop of powered speakers, the dispersion angle is usually wider with a 10" than a 12" speaker, and the low end frequency response is usually not much different either. But you will see a higher SPL with the larger speaker - usually not a factor for an acoustic act.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-27-2018, 08:23 AM

On the rare occasion I do a solo or acoustic gig I use a couple of 60's vintage 12 in cast frame Jenson recones in small homemade bass reflex boxes with horn tweeters. I drive them with Samson power amp and mixer. Single condenser microphone no effects. Very happy with the clear transparent sound.

I have 10's but haven't built boxes for them. Don't think I ever will because I'm happy with what I have.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
With the current crop of powered speakers, the dispersion angle is usually wider with a 10" than a 12" speaker, and the low end frequency response is usually not much different either. But you will see a higher SPL with the larger speaker - usually not a factor for an acoustic act.
This.. We found very limited difference going
from k12 to k10 qsc.
and the k10s are much easier to lug around.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:19 AM

Default Ditto for 10's

I have two Yamaha DBR10's. I use one or both depending. They rock. GreT for guitar and voice and very light at 23 pounds. Also reasonably priced. Can't beat it with a stick.

2015 Larrivee OM40 WL
2015 Seagull Performer Mini Jumbo Q1T
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Yamaha DBR10 powered speakers
Behringer XR12 digital mixer
M Audio Bass Traveller headamps with Shure IEM's
Old 08-29-2018, 11:12 AM

This weekend I hosted a benefit concert for a fellow musician that suffered an accident so I had the responsibility of setting up the PA system. Because all bands were acoustic duets (one band used a keyboard), I didn't need a big system. I opted to use two JBL PRX710 cabinets mounted on tripods and an Allen and Heath ZED10FX mixer. Besides myself (I played two different times with two different musicians), there were 4 other duets. I rarely get to sit and critically listen to a PA that I bring to a gig, but this time I did. I can say with absolutely certainty, that every duet sounded FANTASTIC. I think the 10" speakers in the JBLs were perfect for acoustic guitars. And the coverage of the room was great. I lot of times I use these speakers for coverage of a larger room in combination with one of my Schertler amps (Jam 400, Jam 200, etc), but as a stand alone system, I was amazed at the performance of this small rig!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification