The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-30-2017, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Default Help..Pick Up The World???

I've used K&K mini's and I've used all of the Baggs stuff. My favorite pick up is the Anthem....tried the lyric in two guitars...hate hate hated it. I can live with the Anthem. BUT...I now have some vintage guitars and really do not want to drill the end out...mixed success with the K&K..loved it in a D-18 and a Martin CEO-7...do not like it in my D-28....and don't want to install the K&K with super glue!!...so...I'm leaning toward the vintage jack along with the Pick Up The World (2 sensors model). Has anyone had experience with this system? And do you like it? and How does it compare to the Anthem and K&K mini? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by $ongWriter; 11-30-2017 at 09:25 AM. Reason: add words
Old 11-30-2017, 09:37 AM

Maybe you shall read this

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=480149

If I remember well the conclusions are:
* Best pickup tone
* Fixation not very sturdy (pickup falls)
* Feedback prone

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-30-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I've used K&K mini's and I've used all of the Baggs stuff. My favorite pick up is the Anthem....tried the lyric in two guitars...hate hate hated it. I can live with the Anthem. BUT...I now have some vintage guitars and really do not want to drill the end out...mixed success with the K&K..loved it in a D-18 and a Martin CEO-7...do not like it in my D-28....and don't want to install the K&K with super glue!!...so...I'm leaning toward the vintage jack along with the Pick Up The World (2 sensors model). Has anyone had experience with this system? And do you like it? and How does it compare to the Anthem and K&K mini? Any help would be appreciated.
The PUTW #54 is one of the best sounding pickups ever made and I would never "not" recommend it. That said, I have some suggestions.

1. Go with their Dynamic Duo or Trio model, wired in stereo. The #54 soundboard sensor is so sensitive and mic-like that you'll want to be able to pan between it and its UST, which also sounds exceptional. The SBT on its own is a little too feedback prone for me to feel comfortable using it alone.

2. Get a preamp that's close to the endpin. They offer the MiSi but it's not compatible with stereo. You can get the 9-volt endpin but I'd also recommend a blender, like the Baggs MixPro that you can wear on your belt and adjust gain individually. Set-up passively and the Baggs gives it enough power to get it going. You'll also want to cut the bass on the SBT as well. I'd also recommend another preamp/DI with good EQ to send you to the board.

3. Get a soundhole cover for safety's sake.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 11-30-2017, 11:03 AM

PUTW #54 is a strange animal - although it did not turn out to be the unicorn I thought it was. It's a highly sensitive flexible contact pickup that can sound indistinguishable from a microphone. That's the good. The downsides are exactly what Erik cites, with the addition of the following:

1. The adhesive must be touching a clean surface to bond. I mean a CLEAN surface.

2. The wires are also microphonic and can make some noise. They have to be dressed.

3. The gain is super low and requires an end pin preamp.

4. Vintage jacks are a little problematic for some.

If you don't intent to play these guitars amplified very often, just get something like this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iRigAcousticStg
Old 11-30-2017, 11:16 AM

With the Tapastring vintage jack there is no need to drill, so long as your vintage guitar has an actual tapered endpin. The majority of the 20-some JJB PPS-200 SBT's I've installed are mounted with removable putty. Its been holding some of my pickups for 10 years now.

This combination of pu and jack will give good sound (you may need a preamp or DI depending on sound system) while being completely removable if/when desired.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
With the Tapastring vintage jack there is no need to drill, so long as your vintage guitar has an actual tapered endpin. The majority of the 20-some JJB PPS-200 SBT's I've installed are mounted with removable putty. Its been holding some of my pickups for 10 years now.

This combination of pu and jack will give good sound (you may need a preamp or DI depending on sound system) while being completely removable if/when desired.
I have a luthier friend who also likes the JJB sensors. He prefers to wire them to Switchcraft jacks, but I presume the Tapastring vintage jacks would be just as functional and durable. In any event, the signal is strong enough that you won't need an onboard preamp. An outboard preamp will do nicely with a reasonably short instrument cable between guitar and preamp.

I'm a big fan of the PUTW pickups myself, but you really do need an onboard preamp for best results with their SBTs.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

I run my K & K through a Fishman Aura modler. I don't think there will ever be an acoustic pick up that will be completely satisfying. For me the modler works and sounds great once you dial it in.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-30-2017, 03:12 PM

I had one many years ago, and it fell apart before I managed to get it in the right place. I never tried another, maybe the new ones are sturdier.

These days I go for soundhole pickups.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification