The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-13-2012, 11:14 AM

So basically everyone is as SOL as I am. Great. Haha. I refuse to mute the high e string, so it'll definitely take some time to perfectly get that. My perfect situation is that I would fret the a shape with fingers 2, 3, and 4, and do an index barre. That way I can play all five strings and be able to play embellishments like hammer ons and pull offs.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarlifter View Post
So basically everyone is as SOL as I am. Great. Haha. I refuse to mute the high e string, so it'll definitely take some time to perfectly get that. My perfect situation is that I would fret the a shape with fingers 2, 3, and 4, and do an index barre. That way I can play all five strings and be able to play embellishments like hammer ons and pull offs.
Did you check my method that I posted earlier? It's different than anyone else's (I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruze View Post
I think I do this differently than most people, but to make a barred "A" (or whatever else up the neck) I bar the bottom 4 strings on the second fret with my first finger, ring finger goes on the A string, 4th fret, pinky goes on E, 5th fret. High E is muffled, although if I need it the pinky drops down to get it on the fifth fret.

I adapted this from how an open G is played, with the nut acting as your barred first finger.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruze View Post
Did you check my method that I posted earlier? It's different than anyone else's (I think).
I saw that, but that's not an A-shape barre chord. I'm specifically talking about the A-shape barre chord where you can slide it around. Maybe you're talking about an A chord barred in a G shape?
Old 05-13-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I saw that, but that's not an A-shape barre chord. I'm specifically talking about the A-shape barre chord where you can slide it around. Maybe you're talking about an A chord barred in a G shape?
You can call it whatever you want, but played on the second fret it's an "A." You can slide it up the neck as far as you want, like any other bar chord. I never learned all the "standard" way of doing things.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:18 PM

I also use the two barre method as my default. I don't have any difficulty keeping the 1st string clean.

The key seems to be being precise about the placement of the 3rd finger, so that the joint is properly placed to bend backwards to clear the 1st string.

I also find that when I do this, the pinky sort of naturally falls into place to reinforce the 3rd finger and assist the backwards bend. I don't remember learning to do this intentionally, but it happens naturally now.

Don't give up on the 4 finger method as well, because there will be times that that works better, usually depending on where you're going next.

Good luck!
Old 05-13-2012, 01:32 PM

Here's a tricky one: Can anyone do a barred A-shape chord where the pinky frets strings 2, 3, and 4 and still lets the first string ring? I can bend my index, middle, and ring finger so that I can do a partial barre in the middle of the fretboard and not hit any other strings because of the bend in those three fingers, but I seem to only be able to do a partial barre with my pinky where it can fret the 2, 3, and 4 strings, but it either has to mute the 1st string or fret it, making a 6th chord.

The reason why that happens that I can't seem to bend my pinky due to a lack of strength or something. I think I've seen both Eric Clapton and John Mayer do it where their pinky can do a partial barre and bend so that other strings can be fretted on a different fret. and ring aloud. I guess I'll have to keep on trying that one as well.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:12 PM

I use a fingering à la Gary Davis, using the left thumb on the 2 bass notes and the middle finger for the 3rd and 4th string, e.g for a C chord A shape :
3 --> index
5 --> ring
5 --> middle
5 --> middle
3 --> thumb
3 --> thumb
And yes it works on a 12string
Old 05-13-2012, 09:11 PM

Well, it certainly helps to be double-jointed. I'm double-jointed in my outer-most knuckles so I can just lay my little finger across those three strings and then use the double-joint to lift the rest of the finger out of the way to get a nice clear note on top. I can do this with the ring finger too if I need to get a sus4, but the pinky fits in there just right.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobby View Post
Well, it certainly helps to be double-jointed. I'm double-jointed in my outer-most knuckles so I can just lay my little finger across those three strings and then use the double-joint to lift the rest of the finger out of the way to get a nice clear note on top. I can do this with the ring finger too if I need to get a sus4, but the pinky fits in there just right.

Oh I hate you so much right now! That's exactly what I'm talking about! I hope that I can get that some day like it's nothing. If I can do partial barres like what you're doing with your pinky with my index, middle, and ring finger, wouldn't it make sense that I could do it too with my pinky at least if I built up the strength for it?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:29 AM

For non-double jointed folks, you can accomplish the "open bottom string" concept by doing this shape, which is moveable:

(chord below is D add 9 over A)

7 pinky
7 ring
7 middle
5 index
5 index
Old 05-14-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Oh I hate you so much right now! That's exactly what I'm talking about! I hope that I can get that some day like it's nothing. If I can do partial barres like what you're doing with your pinky with my index, middle, and ring finger, wouldn't it make sense that I could do it too with my pinky at least if I built up the strength for it?
Nyah ha ha!

But yeah, I think based on what you and others have said, you could - with patience and persistence - probably loosen up that joint enough to get it.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobby View Post
Nyah ha ha!

But yeah, I think based on what you and others have said, you could - with patience and persistence - probably loosen up that joint enough to get it.
By the way, I've been practicing this, and I've actually almost got it down. When I first started doing it, I literally had to force it down with my hand, and it would barely bend. Now, I just have to lightly press it down and I can almost get it with just my fretting hand although it still tends to buckle back and forth due to my weakness in my pinky. It definitely feels stronger though and less awkward. Once I legitimately get this, I may post a pic for proof. I have MUCH more confidence in my ability to get it now than I did a few days ago.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:15 AM

I come from a rock guitar background and my mate was the late Mel Galley of Trapeze and Whitesnake. Many years ago he showed me how he did his barres for A shapes. Basically, it's like you do it, but to stop the first string being damped, tip your hand at an angle (ie not at right angles to the neck) and it gives you a fraction more clearance over the first string. But in some cases, it is not always necessary for the first string to ring out loud and clear - although that's more of a rock thing, using abbreviated chords.

Another trick when playing towards the nut and as far up as say the C chord using the A shape, is to do the 'second' barre with your pinky; it tends to bend backwards a bit more and clear the first string easier as a result.

A good practise sequence for such chords is Bad company's 'Can't get enough', using the A shape obviously.

Hope that helps.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 05-16-2012, 07:06 AM

I don't think I'm double jointed. But that picture is exactly how I play mine. How do you play an E-shape barre chord? I learned that shape as my very first barre chord so I could play F and I have played it so many times I find barring the whole neck to be easy now in that position. IMO the A-shape isn't really any harder for the index finger, although my ring finger gets sore.

Try playing some songs where you just use these barre chords (F-G-C progression, use F in e-shape, G and C in A-shape) and your fingers will hate you but eventually learn. I don't have trouble getting every string to ring out. But I know when I first started my hand cramped up a lot switching those chords out on a heavy rythmn and I had to take frequent breaks to rest my fingers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write