The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2019, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post

[snip]

Wash your hands every single time, before touching the guitar, and that will certainly help improve longevity.
Yup. I've been a chronic hand-washer ever since I took up guitar 35 years ago. Soap and warm water before every single practice session, and before every gig or between sets. It's the very first thing I do once my gear is set up before a gig. When I've played for weddings, private parties, etc out in the sticks... I'll always take a jug of water and a towel, just in case I can't find a restroom to wash in. I like my strings to last, and I HATE the feel of dirty, gritty hands on the guitar neck. I'm not OCD in general, but I am when it comes to playing with clean hands. I won't play if I can't handwash. Seriously...
Old 11-13-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
I am with you. I want that presence in a string. I hate dead strings... whether on acoustic or electric. I change strings before every gig.
I don't think he is talking about "dead" strings, but more how most new strings settle in after a few days of playing and lose that initial metallic brightness he likes.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 11-13-2019, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooky View Post
Elixer strings or I found Monels have a zing that lasts.
Elixir or D'Addario EXP coated are all I'll play on my steel string acoustics these days. I used to use regular D'Addarios and just change them more often, but I'd rather go with the slightly-reduced zing of the coated in the beginning, to have it pay off in longevity. However, as I mentioned earlier I still change strings before every gig. These days, I'm playing my 12-strings and most gigs, so it's getting pricey changing out sets of coated 12-strings.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
I don't think he is talking about "dead" strings, but more how most new strings settle in after a few days of playing and lose that initial metallic brightness he likes.
Roger that. Though I do tend to think that the strings being dirty is why they sound deader than when new. Which is why coated strings retain their brightness for a lot longer.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:43 AM

Elixir Nanoweb 80-20. I also like bright and 'zingy' and these stay bright for months, barely losing tone. I've had a set on my D-18 since mid-July and they still sound fresh. I'm only changing them now because some of the coating is beginning to fray. Not cheap initially but cost-effective in the long run.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
Seems like most players like strings to settle down for a few days to take the bright edge off.
I am the opposite, I like the new strings bright edge and like strings to keep the bright/ brash edge as long as possible! So if anyone suggests a string that takes a longer time to "to be down"
Let me know.
I'm the same as you and have tried pretty much everything in terms of strings over the years. Elixirs preserve their fresh tone for months, as opposed to days as all other string brands. (I'm not going to add the usual disclaimers about YMMV, IMHO, etc. because that's self-evident on an online forum and it shouldn't be necessary to state that explicitly. )

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 11-14-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Wash your hands every single time, before touching the guitar, and that will certainly help improve longevity.
I'm reasonably diligent with this. Since early childhood I've been OCD-fussy about clean hands, so if I have anything on my hands, I'm aware of it. I don't wash every single time, but if there's any reason to think my hands aren't perfectly clean, I wash first. Handled food since the last wash? Wash them. Handled anything liquid? Wash them. Touched the dog? SCRUB. You get the picture.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
Seems like most players like strings to settle down for a few days to take the bright edge off.
I am the opposite, I like the new strings bright edge and like strings to keep the bright/ brash edge as long as possible! So if anyone suggests a string that takes a longer time to "to settle down"
Let me know.
I have played a fair amount of different brand strings and what I ended up on years ago is Elixer's Nanoweb strings. 80/20 or PB. Sometimes I use one or the other. They maintain that bright new string sound for a very long time. Even old Nanoweb strings sound way brighter to me that any Martin or similar string that's been only played a couple hours.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Those new D'Addario XT's have some crispiness to them for a bit longer than the Nickel Bronze (which already carry some high-end for the first hour or so) so I think you'd probably want to give those a try. I personally practice objectively with them for the first half hr, as I know they will be strident and thats not my cup of tea (I use acrylic nails, so warmer the better), but I can understand the appeal of bright strings.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 11-15-2019, 12:08 AM

I've always been the same way...really like the way a brand-new set sounds, then become disappointed when they roll off. Elixir strings really impressed me when they came out, even the old polywebs, and when they came out with the Nanowebs, it was a revelation; I didn't mind that they weren't quite as loud as some others when new, because they didn't roll off after 2 or 3 hours' playing time like others , but lasted well for 2 or 3 months. I used nothing but those until a couple years ago, when I started getting bad sets (that's a whole other subject).

Since then, I've settled into Pearse PBs on my main Larrivee L-10; I don't usually like strings with much midrange to them, but these have mids that are well-balanced and musical...very sweet tone. AND, they last better than any other non-coated strings I've used.

I wish the Pearse PBs sounded as good on my other 'main' axes, but I've pretty much settled into Martin Marquis PBs on those; those guitars are a bit more naturally midrange-forward by nature and the Marquis seem to balance that out a bit. I just wish they lasted longer.

I love that new-string fizz that seems to reach down & pull out growling harmonics from the instrument, and I hate strings that sound to me like rubber bands after only a few hours' playing time.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 11-15-2019, 06:28 AM

Bright and Zingy is not my thingy.

The only strings I like right after I put them on new are the DR Sunbeams and that’s only on one guitar, my D18. Even then, they sound better to me after a couple of hours of use.
The J15 and new bright strings or any age bright strings are a no-no. That’s why I’m happy with the GHS Silk and Bronze.
The J45 loves the Masterbuilt 80-20’s after about the same amount of break-in time and the Eastman works best with broken in Retros.
I found that Newtone Heritage Round Cores are also less zingy right out of the pack so they get some love on my D18.
I should also mention, I use a pick 90% of the time.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-15-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Bright and Zingy is not my thingy.
Nor mine. The metallic string sound is not what I'm looking for. I love the sustain of new strings, but I want to be reminded more of the wood of the guitar than the metal in the strings.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion