The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-14-2019, 02:46 AM

Just a side note. We all hear and play so differently. I'm a singer, and I've been playing and performing with my Collings OM2G and OM1A for a very long time, and they are my favorite strumming OMs of all the guitars I've heard or owned, with a Huss & Dalton dread, to this point in time, as my favorite dread strummer. I prefer some internal texture to the strumming over the, for me, too "blended" sound of most Martins.

This is the same for me with Gibsons. I prefer the internal articulation of a Hummingbird over a J45.

I entirely understand those who hear and prefer a different sound.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:53 AM

Quote:
...notably. I prefer a thinner body (4") OOO or OM style and a thinner neck and nut (1 11/16).
You really need to play models from various makers. The neck profiles differ greatly. I've owned and played 000 models from both Martin and Collings and disliked the V-shaped necks on both. And neither was a "thinner neck and nut" by any means.

My favorite acoustic guitar -- after trying a ton over the years -- is a Collings OM1VN (Vintage Now). It's a wonderful, versatile instrument. However, this is the only OM neck shape from Collings that works for me as the standard profile is also V-shaped. I had the good fortune of being able to spend a week with the guitar before purchasing. Martin (and others) offer a greater variety of neck profile options. I've owned several Martin (and Santa Cruz) OM models and they are also fine instruments.

Quote:
I play out a few times each month...
That bass bias "vintage tone" associated with Martins *can* be more difficult to EQ when plugging in -- something else to consider.

Lastly, I have personally found the build quality of Collings to be superior to Martin. I'm sure there are exceptions, but this has been my experience. This is not to say Martins are not well made, rather that Collings are just exceptionally well made.

Best of luck with your search.

Last edited by dreamincolor; 11-14-2019 at 04:03 AM.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
If I were spending $4,000 I'd travel to a store with a sizable collection of guitars in that range and play them all.

It doesn't take me 30 minutes to know if a guitar is the one. Some I know are not the one in just a few seconds.

Santa Cruz, Collings and Martin: you can't go too far wrong with those choices. Enjoy the search.
The advice above is spot on!! $4K is not an insignificant amount of $. Buy the guitar that truly inspires you to play. Don't rush into something this because of brand envy. Yes - all of those brands you will love, but one of those (and perhaps even another) will be YOUR GUITAR. There is a tone in your head that will be triggered once you find your guitar. Be patient and enjoy the hunt.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:32 AM

Lifetime guitar? Collings? You bet! I have had mine for 22 years. It has been played out the whole time, conservatively guessing 1000 shows. Since then, I have bought a small builder custom, two Martin Authentics and a lovely little Martin 00-28VS.
I think that day in and day out, my Collings is still my favorite.

Last edited by lt20dbl; 11-14-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:07 AM

Don't walk into a shop knowing what you are going to buy.

My recommendation is to go to as many good shops as you can and play a lot of guitars in your price range. If, for some reason, you need it to be a short process, go to the best shop you can get to (I mean a place like Carter Vintage, Gruhn, Mass Street, Gryphon, Eddies, TME, Folkway, Acoustic Music Works, etc--places that carry a lot of really good guitars) and walk out the door with whatever has the sound you want, comfortable ergonomics, and speaks to you.

That could be a 4k small shop guitar like a Collings, Santa Cruz, H&D, Bourgeois, etc. It could be a player-grade vintage Martin or Gibson. It might even be something like a modern J-45 or D-18/28. You'll know the guitar when you play it.

I haven't gone through that many guitars (compared with others)--maybe half a dozen over years--but every guitar I bought because I wanted that brand or that model has been sold. The only two guitar that I still have were ones that came out the blue, that I didn't expect to buy, and that completely knocked my socks off.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:14 AM

You know, OP, the used market is starting to see used OM-1A JLs with the traditional case near your price range. If you like 1 11/16” OMs, that could be the ticket. I love mine. It sits comfortably with my ‘33 OM-18 and ‘41 OOO-18. It’s a really stellar model.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
You know, OP, the used market is starting to see used OM-1A JLs with the traditional case near your price range. If you like 1 11/16” OMs, that could be the ticket. I love mine. It sits comfortably with my ‘33 OM-18 and ‘41 OOO-18. It’s a really stellar model.
Could not agree more on the JLA...it is definitely my "lifetime guitar."
Old 11-14-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I won't talk you out of buying any guitar but I will try and talk you into playing a bunch first and let your hands and ears tell you what they experience. I was interested in a Collings once upon a time and had the opportunity to go to a dealer and play a bunch of them in different models and tone wood combos. I learned a great deal and ended up not getting one because they just didn't match the tone and response that I was looking for along with the neck shapes just didn't feel comfortable to me. So never underestimate the value of playing any guitar, no matter the brand, first hand.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-14-2019, 10:19 AM

I for one have never been impressed with a Collings guitar. I've played several acoustics and I just find them underwhelming. I can't put my finger on it, but I think it has to do with value for the money. There is nothing there than I can't personally get from other guitars costing half as much.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:45 PM

I went from a Blueridge BR 143 to a Collings as my first high-end guitar. They're wonderful. I own a few Martins now too, and I love the voices of all of them. I can't say one is better than the other, but for a long time Collings guitars won every time I compared them side-by-side with comparable Martins because I felt that they had better clarity, volume and projection. As I've been playing over the years, I find that's not always the sound I want, but I still love my Collings, and I probably pick up a Collings 000 that's a pretty close match to the old Blueridge as often as any other guitar I own. I'd still love to have a Collings DS1 or DS2 someday.

The Blueridge lives at my sister's house now, btw. I doubt I'll ever get it back. It's an astonishingly good guitar for the money I paid for it. If I have any criticism of it, it's almost TOO loud.

Last edited by 12Frets; 11-14-2019 at 02:47 PM. Reason: I always think of other stuff to say.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:05 PM

Consider Martin and add Lowden to the mix! Collings is certainly worthy if you love playing it and you grow attached, and you have the $.
Gibson A4 Mandolin (1913)
Old 11-14-2019, 05:30 PM

I've always been a fan of Collings fit and finish, and amazing customer service. i have played a few that felt really sterile, but really it was getting more familar with what options i preferred on their lines (bracing variances and woods). Over the years they have been nothing shy of helpful with info on guitars and mandolins.

I think there A model mandolins, especially the MT2 are highly underrated and i really like the Traditional series voicing but couldn't handle the neck in 1 3/4" but I'd be really interested in the 1 11/16" Traditional series dreads.

This summer on vacation I played a like new D2H with no tongue brace and Adirondack bracing which spoke to me and i didnt buy it but i think about that guitar EVER SINGLE DAY.

I would suggests trying to learn more about the options available in the models you are interested in, and chat with the folks at Collings. You wont finder better customer support in my experience, and you might find a few options which could really make a different to how you feel. Used or new I think they are a solid choice once you figure out what you want.

Good luck!
Old 11-14-2019, 08:15 PM

Sorry, I'm not sympathetic with any thread that's titled "Talk me out of..."

Either buy it or don't. You know what you're looking for, and if a Collings speaks to you, then buy it. If it doesn't, then keep looking for something else.

I have a Collings OM2h. I love it, but there are days I'd sell it for something I think would be better. Fickle, I know. But in the end I keep coming back to that sweet sustain, the easy playability, and the magic of rosewood and spruce that Collings does SO well.

Seriously, I wish you luck, brother. When you find The One that speaks to you, there will be no question of "should I or shouldn't I?" You'll know.

Good luck!
Old 11-14-2019, 09:04 PM

Forget about not buying a Collings, but perhaps look at your query from a different angle.
For your performing, don't take the high end guitars, grab yourself a Maton or Cole Clark, both of which are renowned for their pickups and keep your expensive choice, whatever it may be, for your own enjoyment away from the stage.
I can't comment on the Collings, I passed up an opportunity to play one when I saw the pricetag in the shop!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 11-14-2019, 09:13 PM

Collings are awesome in every way...except how they sound. Yeah, that's just my ears and opinion. I simply prefer my martin and bourgeois to the collings I owned a couple years back. I also prefer the tone of santa cruz, too.

Always the best advice is to play as many of these guitars as possible, you never know what guitar is going to really grab you.

Let us know what you end up with!
scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion