The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-11-2019, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
my biggest dilemma is the potential for the sound not measuring up
Welcome to the cf forum!
In my opinion composite instruments sound just as good as any other material
with the bonuses of being able to alternate tune and not worrying about environmental changes.
I travel the world never caring how hot, cold or humid it is. https://youtu.be/iX-PY7i5ZQE
Old 11-11-2019, 03:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is that a soundseat?
Yeah, it is. Best $300 or so I ever spent on guitar gear...
Old 11-11-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Welcome to the cf forum!
In my opinion composite instruments sound just as good as any other material
with the bonuses of being able to alternate tune and not worrying about environmental changes.
I travel the world never caring how hot, cold or humid it is. https://youtu.be/iX-PY7i5ZQE
Thanks for your thoughts. I watched a couple of your vids....very nice...

Fast becoming a carbon believer. The convenience and flexibility is undeniable for my climate. Don’t think it is something I’m going to be able to ignore...sorry wifey...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-11-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Yeah, it is. Best $300 or so I ever spent on guitar gear...
I wish...not here in Canada
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-11-2019, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fast becoming a carbon believer. The convenience and flexibility is undeniable for my climate.
Yep, just give in and come join the party!
Old 11-11-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Yep, just give in and come join the party!
Pretty sure it is happening...Definitely crave that on the stand at all times vibe...

They are pretty darn cool.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-11-2019, 07:43 AM

I would encourage you to consider the USA made McPherson line of carbon guitars. Great sound from my carbon touring model and nice feel/transition when switching to my Taylor 814ce
Old 11-11-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickey Clapton View Post
I would encourage you to consider the USA made McPherson line of carbon guitars. Great sound from my carbon touring model and nice feel/transition when switching to my Taylor 814ce
They do look very nice as well. I prefer the conventional acoustic shapes that Rainsong offers, and I like how they seem to sound.

The other issue is the cost of the Rainsong is a little more reasonable. Something that matters right now because I also just purchased another high end wooden guitar and built a dedicated music room.

Any more and I think the Minister of Finance might not approve the purchase ;-0
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-11-2019, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wish...not here in Canada
Why is that? Customs? Shipping?
Old 11-11-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Why is that? Customs? Shipping?
Yeah, the shipping was brutal. Combined with the build I wanted, exchange, duty, taxes etc it was over a grand from what I remember. I looked at it.

They do look crazy nice though...must be beyond comfy...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-11-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
And now I have two, and am trying to figure out how to sneak an Amicus past the guard
Same issue here. My reluctance to revamp a bathroom resulted in a second Emerald on order when I finally agreed to tile the shower. Now I am trying to figure out how to bring a uke Synergy into the house with the blessings of the gate keeper. These Synergies are challenging to play well. The uke version is still fun like all ukes tend to be. Might make it my main travel instrument instead of my lovely (and somewhat fragile) Pono bari uke I sometimes take now. Have to at least wait for the guitar on order to arrive first. The motto I have so far lived by is to never buy more than one guitar (at a time).

I fell into CF instruments by accident about 6 years ago with an Emerald X20 (same style as today). As Cap'n Jim might say, "I came here for the robustness and stayed for the sound and playability". I haven't left since. I currently have a Lucky 13, the X20 and one on the way. The X20 is my goto all around guitar. The Lucky 13 is pretty awesome and I dithered between it and a Rainsong before taking the plunge. I am hoping the next one to be as good or better than these two. Only mild customizing of one of Alistair's creations on this round.

The thing about CF is that the conformities we are forced to put up with because of poor structural strength and robustness of the previously used materials (wood mostly) is out the window. CF can handle pretty much any dream you have with regard to number of strings, necks or shapes. I would say Emerald is on the cutting edge of this wave, so stand by for some more amazing instruments that were previously unimaginable. In conventional instruments, Emerald's 12 string and harp guitars are probably top in any fashion you care to compare them with others in these fields.

Hope this helps.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 11-11-2019, 09:37 AM

Starting to feel like it’s gonna be a Rainsong CO-WS1000N2.

I was originally thinking OM, but I think I will get that in some other form at a later date. I want the electronics and cutaway and the slightly greater depth of tone in this CF purchase. Still a little smaller and more manageable than the LL56 will be. Good happy medium for now me thinks.

I’m on the edge of the pool now
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-11-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
....I’m on the edge of the pool now
Go ahead and leap! CF guitars don't care about the humidity. Well, maybe the electronics and tuning machines.....

FWIW I got my WS-1000 classic in 2001 when I lived in Alaska and it is still one of my favorite guitars, although my X20 sees far more play hours these days. It has seen me through guitar camps (jamming around the campfire into the wee hours), many trips, and many performances. The CO version with unidirectional tops seem to be the woodiest sounding of the Rainsong guitars. I've only played a few CO's while traveling since I have my Rainsong already, and no dealer near me stocks them. I suggest Ted at LA Guitar Sales or Elderly Instruments, if you cannot get one locally in Ontario.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:48 PM

Signature updated

You guys are the ultimate corruptors..In a good way...At least as far as I'm concerned

I'm sure if the wife knew just how much, she would try to find some way to ban my butt from this place.

Ordered it at Long and Macquade (CO-WS1000N2). Looks like I'll be waiting a little bit. I don't have a date yet. Rainsong gave me a rough time frame of 6 ish weeks on the phone, but I didn't have the impression that was super accurate. I should know more in a few days. I had called them to confirm what was available for options. Yeah, factory pick guards are not gonna happen except for on the new line there that they just released.

I hope it's not too long. One of the goals of getting this thing (among many) was to bridge the gap between now and 8 months out when my Yamaha arrives.

I had to wait for my salesman for a bit so I went into the guitar room and noodled around a bit on a Yamaha FG5. Really made me further realize how badly this laminate Aria I currently have is playing. It's like 150 dollar guitar so I don't really feel like putting any great amount of money into it. Bah. The end is near...I hope
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-11-2019, 03:14 PM

Congratulations and welcome to the party pal!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber