The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2019, 04:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Slope Dreads: Interesting Article in Premier Guitar Mag

Howdy, All.

This popped up in my newsfeed today. Timely article.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...nought-revival

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 10-15-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:25 PM

Timely indeed. Going back to a recent debate about dreadnaughts and jumbos, does this article have the final word on the best description of the J-45?
Old 10-15-2019, 04:38 PM

Interesting. I grew up in the 70s musically and had no awareness of this shape at all. Then when I started playing again in the 2010s and people were talking about "slope shoulders" and I checked out some pictures I just thought they were hideous looking abominations. But now I'm at a point where I think I should maybe play one on one of these days.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Timely indeed. Going back to a recent debate about dreadnaughts and jumbos, does this article have the final word on the best description of the J-45?
No way.

The first 'Jumbo' was the Gibson SJ-200, also known and marketed as a J-200. As long as guitar makers and marketers continue to suborn the meaning of "jumbo" from 'large' to one involving a somewhat specific shape, usually involving an oversized lower bout, there will always be a debate about this. Sometimes jumbo has been tacked onto another entirely different shape.

And "dreadnought" derives it's name from a revolutionary class of battleship, 'HMS Dreadnought', 1906. It was the eighth ship to bear that name. All battleships since have been called 'dreadnoughts', and the word has also become synonymous with 'large'.

So, we have dreadnought juniors and jumbo juniors, small, medium and semi-large size jumboes, some with the name attached without the size or shape, et cetera.

Edit> Personally I like the term 'round shouldered' as the best and most descriptive of the guitar design in question.

So 'no'.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 10-15-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:32 PM

Are we gonna do this again???? I have a Bourgeois Slope Shoulder Dreadnought and a Martin Dreadnought. That’s what Dana calls his guitars and that’s what I’m going to call it too.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-15-2019, 07:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Are we gonna do this again???? I have a Bourgeois Slope Shoulder Dreadnought and a Martin Dreadnought. That’s what Dana calls his guitars and that’s what I’m going to call it too.
Yeah, I think so.

When this came up about a month ago in a similar thread, I spent an afternoon online looking at most of the major acoustic guitar manufacturers in the industry -- not all, but the brands most talked about on AGF. With the exception of Collings, as I recall, the following makers on their websites without exception ALL referred to them "slope-shouldered dreadnoughts" or "round-shouldered dreadnoughts," or some direct derivation of those terms. Here's a list of those manufacturers:

Eastman
Blueridge
Larivee
Yairi
Alvarez
Santa Cruz
Borgeous (sp?)
Martin
Taylor

It appears Gibson refers to them sort of interchangeably as either "slope-shoulder models" or "round-shoulder models," but does not add the dreadnought name to them, which makes sense to me.

Correct if I'm wrong, folks, but it appears Yamaha has never made slope models but stayed with the standard square-shouldered Martin shape.

I'm sure I'm leaving out a few brands. Feel free to do your own research.

I believe the purists are correct in calling them jumbos, or round-shouldered jumbos, or something. However, interestingly, Epiphone, a wholely-owned subsidiary of Gibson, calls them round shoulder dreadnoughts, and in terms of quantities they probably make 10-20 times the number of slope guitars that their parent does.
http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Aco...5-AJ-45ME.aspx

In all things, I champion function over form. My slope models FUNCTION in my playing life as dreadnoughts. That is, I use them as a direct replacement or alternative to my square shoulder Martins, Yairis, Blueridges, Eastmans, etc. You could call them a purple fire truck if you wanted. To me, they will always be dreadnoughts.

One last note of interest. In the pick world the entire planet refers to the Fender 351 shape as a "teardrop." However, that is not correct. Technically, the "teardrop" is the Fender 358 shape, pictured below. But you'll have a hard time convincing anyone of that. So I call them teardrops. So does everyone else.

Scott Memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 10-15-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:08 PM

Interesting article. Long live the Fundamental Thump!!

Makes me glad I got my ‘46 J-45 when I did
Old 10-16-2019, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
No way.

The first 'Jumbo' was the Gibson SJ-200, also known and marketed as a J-200.

Have to disagree. The first ‘Jumbo’ was called Jumbo and was introduced by Gibson in 1934. It was slope-/round-shouldered and was replaced by the Advanced Jumbo in 1936. The SJ-200 wasn’t produced until 1937 and was called a Super Jumbo i.e. larger than a Jumbo. Gibson dropped the ‘S’ later and confusingly ended up with two Jumbo ranges with different body styles!

C.F.Martin muddied the waters further decades later with their J body style.

Regards,
Clive.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
See : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadnought_(guitar_type)

It's all quite simple; D is the fourth letter of the alphabet, and in this case, it stands for Dreadnought, a Martin Design.

J is the 10th and in this case stands for Jumbo -a large bodied mostly short scale guitar introduced by Gibson in 1934 to compete with the Martin Dreadnought.

I understand that various website designers and marketeers have confused these two designs, hence the confusion, probably.

However, if one is determined to refer to one as another, that's fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrong.jpg (20.4 KB, 597 views)

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 10-16-2019 at 05:23 AM. Reason: #1
Old 10-16-2019, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
No way.

The first 'Jumbo' was the Gibson SJ-200, also known and marketed as a J-200. As long as guitar makers and marketers continue to suborn the meaning of "jumbo" from 'large' to one involving a somewhat specific shape, usually involving an oversized lower bout, there will always be a debate about this. Sometimes jumbo has been tacked onto another entirely different shape.

And "dreadnought" derives it's name from a revolutionary class of battleship, 'HMS Dreadnought', 1906. It was the eighth ship to bear that name. All battleships since have been called 'dreadnoughts', and the word has also become synonymous with 'large'.

So, we have dreadnought juniors and jumbo juniors, small, medium and semi-large size jumboes, some with the name attached without the size or shape, et cetera.

Edit> Personally I like the term 'round shouldered' as the best and most descriptive of the guitar design in question.

So 'no'.

Don
Hi Don,
The first "jumbo"was the 1934 Jumbo - a precursor to the J35 (35-42) thence the AJ (35-46) thence the J55 (39-42)

The first SJ (super jumbo) was the SJ200 (38-ongong) and the SJ100 (39-42)

Gibson attempted to emulate the Martin shape with the Hummingbird (1960 - ongoing) and the Dove (62-ongoing) but both had short scale necks. (oh and the FJN.

Source - http://guitarhq.com/gibson.html

Hope that helps.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
See : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadnought_(guitar_type)

It's all quite simple; D is the fourth letter of the alphabet, and in this case, it stands for Dreadnought, a Martin Design.

J is the 10th and in this case stands for Jumbo -a large bodied mostly short scale guitar introduced by Gibson in 1934 to compete with the Martin Dreadnought.

I understand that various website designers and marketeers have confused these two designs, hence the confusion, probably.

However, if one is determined to refer to one as another, that's fine.
Is Dana Bourgeois wrong since he chose to call his Slope shoulder models a Slope shoulder Dreadnought?

Old 10-16-2019, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Marketing.

A tune played on a slope shoulder

Tune played on a GA/Jumbo

Tune played on an OM

I think we're the only ones that care about the size/shape of a guitar. Once its recorded or plugged in, it makes no difference to the audience.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-16-2019, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Is Dana Bourgeois wrong since he chose to call his Slope shoulder models a Slope shoulder Dreadnought?
He made them, he can call them anything he wants. It doesn't always make it correct, just like Silly Moustache showed us with the teardrop picks. Great guitar builder, not infallible.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:37 AM

As UncleJesse states (and in spite of what Silly Moustache and I have written above) Dana can call them what he likes, and to be fair Gibson seems confused these days!

From Gibson’s current website:

“The J-45 is Gibson's best-selling acoustic of all time. Nicknamed "The Workhorse" and first introduced in 1942, this iconic acoustic has become the cornerstone of its round-shoulder, dreadnought line.”

Immediately underneath in the specification it states:

“Body Style - Jumbo”
Old 10-16-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Marketing.

A tune played on a slope shoulder

Tune played on a GA/Jumbo

Tune played on an OM

I think we're the only ones that care about the size/shape of a guitar. Once its recorded or plugged in, it makes no difference to the audience.
Really GREAT songs and playing!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion