The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2019, 09:28 AM

Default D'Angelo Guitars (in Northern NJ)

I am searching for a good shop for a new nut and saddle on an acoustic guitar. I came across D'Angelo Guitars with many good reviews on a Google search. I was wondering if anyone can share their experience with this shop
Old 11-15-2019, 10:13 AM

The shop is in Fair Lawn, owned by Phil D'Angelo.

Phil has done fretwork on several of my archtop guitars, including re-frets of a '63 ES-175, '85 ES-175, '72 L-5C, and a '33 L-12. On the last one, it has a non-functioning truss rod, and Phil was able to finesse the frets to compensate for excess relief (not a trivial job). It plays great!

He also leveled frets on a '47 L-5 and a recent ES-Les Paul, and re-fretted an old classical. (Geez I guess I've spent some $$ there!!) Some of these jobs included a new bone nut as well. I highly recommend Phil, and he is usually busy. Also a very easy and friendly guy to deal with.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
I am searching for a good shop for a new nut and saddle on an acoustic guitar. ...
Are you looking for a nut and saddle or for purchase and installation? If the former, call Bob Colossi. If you're looking for the latter, I would start by checking out shops that you can use as your "local guitar shop" as a trusted location for all repairs, modifications, set ups..... not just a nut and saddle. Especially since you'll need a full set up (frets, saddle, neck angle, nut..) with the new nut and saddle.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:51 PM

i had my setup done with them on my Martin Custom GPC-MMVE and it was really well done. i would highly recommend them.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Are you looking for a nut and saddle or for purchase and installation? If the former, call Bob Colossi. If you're looking for the latter, I would start by checking out shops that you can use as your "local guitar shop" as a trusted location for all repairs, modifications, set ups..... not just a nut and saddle. Especially since you'll need a full set up (frets, saddle, neck angle, nut..) with the new nut and saddle.
The latter. Even if you order from Bob, you still need the nut slotted and shaped to fit. The saddle from Bob can be a DYI for the final fitting, but the nut... probably not. So yeah, looking for a good local shop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion