The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A027298 View Post
Not only is the body style exquisite, but that sunburst is one of the most attractive I've ever seen. Who came up with the idea for that?
Thanks.

Like almost everything on this guitar, it was a collaborative effort between Tim, Mary, and me.

It was inspired by some pictures of Collings that I'd seen, though.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Yes, this is a beaut for sure. David is easy to work with. When we make suggestions for minor adjustments, he is agreeable and often right in there kickin' out ideas with us. We have been able to work well together when we hit on something that one of us can't imagine as 'belonging.' Does that make sense?

Example? I liked the original sapwood. After hours of debate, David decided to like it, but he preferred less of it. It suits the guitar just fine.

Working as a team is wonderful. The Lord has well blessed us as our McKnight guitar players become more than friends. They become family.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:21 AM

looks incredible! I'm sure you will be so happy with your new build! Make sure you put some recordings on here after its done so we can continue to enjoy it with you.

Interestingly enough, I think that's the first time I've ever seen sunburst with sapwood. I think its very cool
Old 05-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

I'd love an LS top one day, I'm sure it will be all you hope for... Congrats! Can't wait to see the burst in complete....
Old 05-14-2009, 05:22 PM

Great batch of photos! Should be a very special guitar.
1991 Fender American Std. Stratocaster: Keystone single coils and updated controls/wiring
Old 05-14-2009, 05:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A027298 View Post
Songwriter and Tim,
Nice, I mean really nice looking guitar. Not only is the body style exquisite, but that sunburst is one of the most attractive I've ever seen. Who came up with the idea for that? Tim, do you make that body with a florentine cutaway? Not that it's not stunning without one, but I'm a florentine cutaway addict and I'm just picturing that guitar with one...............hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Congratulations to you both! Blessings, Tom
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the kind words. The burst was a co-colaboration between SWF and us. He had seen a similar one (on a Maple body) and we tweaked a few things and this is the result. He wanted a very thin burst as opposed to a wider more traditional burst and I think he made some very good choices.

Yes, I do both Florentine and Venetian cutaways on all of our bodystyles. This is a Minimac body and is our most requested model. Feel free to email if you have more questions.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:45 PM

I can't wait to be done with college, so that i can commission one of Tim's beauties.

Seriously though this guitar looks great, and i love the burst on it, it's really well done.

Psalm 73:26
http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/a...rpin20/Guitar/
Old 05-14-2009, 06:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansaskid View Post
I can't wait to be done with college, so that i can commission one of Tim's beauties.

Seriously though this guitar looks great, and i love the burst on it, it's really well done.

I appreciate your desires but I am more respectful of your priorities! Good on you for putting college ahead of guitars. With that attitude you will be blessed in your future. Keep the focus KK, I'm proud of you!
Old 05-14-2009, 07:33 PM

Amen and Amen!!
Cole Clark Angel 2 BLBL Sunburst
Kronbauer TDK Mini Jumbo Macassar/Adi
Old 05-14-2009, 10:32 PM

Oh believe me, I know what I need to do to get where I want to be and that is my main goal right now, but I do plan on calling you shortly after I graduate, I've even got the woods picked out for it

Psalm 73:26
http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/a...rpin20/Guitar/
Old 05-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Wow Tim,

That's REALLY looking sweet. Would love to own an LS Redwood topped guitar one day. Maybe I need to join that '10 year waiting list'

~ Ray ~
Martin '22 0000-18 Gruhn Sinker
Pre-War 23 OM Adi/Granadillo
Old 05-15-2009, 12:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by safricanplayer View Post
Wow Tim,

That's REALLY looking sweet. Would love to own an LS Redwood topped guitar one day. Maybe I need to join that '10 year waiting list'

~ Ray ~
Like Jello, there's always room.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

[email protected]
Old 05-15-2009, 01:02 PM

i was loving the pics until I saw the burst, to me it lost my interest but hey that is just me. I bet the sound would make me change my mind if it was me gettin' it tho. Also I can't imagine what a luthiers shop would be like without dust collection systems.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouri.picker View Post
i was loving the pics until I saw the burst, to me it lost my interest but hey that is just me.
You're probably just the only person brave enough to say so in the thread.

You have impeccable timing, too. I saw this post right after you made it. Right before that, I had been talking to Mary on the phone, and mentioned how everybody seemed to love the burst!

Just curious, though . . . do you just not like bursts in general? Or is there something about this one in particular that doesn't strike your fancy?

I'm not a huge fan of bursts, either. But after seeing a few "minimal bursts" (mainly done by Collings), I decided I kinda like those . . or at least I think I do. I guess we'll find out for sure when I see this thing in person.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

I understand what you're sayin', MP. I feel that way about many bursts, but this one is special in my opinion. It gives David's guitar more of an aged look. After all, his walnut is wood from a 1700 livery station. It looks pretty classy on this guitar. It will be displayed as the center piece on our Healdsburg table.

If I could get a good picture of David out in the desert, during the dusk, sitting by a campfire with this guitar, I believe I'd add it to my own collection of favorites.

David will see it in a few weeks when he come to the McJam. I think he will be well pleased. I wish you could come to the McJam to see it, too, MP.

[email protected]

Last edited by Mary; 05-16-2009 at 01:36 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion