The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-06-2019, 11:26 PM

Default Japanese Tarrega Guitars

Does anyone know enough about Tarrega brand guitars made in Japan some time ago? I am waiting on delivery of a Tarrega TE300A Alto guitar I bought online. It looks like a pretty nice requinto that should be a step up from the Washburn Oscar Schmidt I bought out of curiosity. Seems the brand took their name from a famous Spanish guitarist. But I can't find anything about them online.

DanO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mail.jpg (18.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2019-05-06 at 10.21.00 PM.jpg (41.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 05-11-2019, 04:12 AM

You might have something really nice. The red stamp suggests that it was built by someone of note.

https://reverb.com/item/21859037-mad...rc=aw.ds&pla=1
Old 05-11-2019, 11:57 PM

Well the Tarrega alto guitar arrived right on time. And it turns out it really is a nice wee guitar. I had made an offer below asking price that was agreed to so quickly - on a Sunday, no less - that I was beginning to wonder what was going to show up. But the guitar is just as described by the seller, who packed it like it was a shipment of fine china, no less.

It plays and sounds very good. It is far above the Washburn Oscar Schmidt requinto I have as far as materials, craftsmanship, playability and sound. I have not measure the scale length, but it is noticeably shorter than the WOS requinto. Playing above the 5th fret is like a mandolin. It takes a deft touch, but the sound is great.

I should give a shout out to Victor's Guitar Gallery on Reverb. 100% satisfied.

DanO
Old 05-12-2019, 08:31 AM

Victor's a great source of knowledge, and the descriptions/photographs of his guitars are very accurate. I've found him to be very dependable, having bought enough guitars to build my admiration.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical