The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 03-11-2019, 04:13 PM

Default Dion Guitars - cedar/lapacho - ca. 2016 model no. 3

EC1F0CAA-D562-4B4D-83DA-D2C0ABFC10F4.jpg

A ca. 2016 cedar/lapacho model no.3 and serial #17 from the Edmonton, Alberta luthier and AGF sponsor. Same one as this build thread https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=420895. Selling to fund a new Dion Guitars commission.

Dion has integrated pathbreaking approaches from former Montreal shopmates at Mile End and introduced innovations of his own (check out his website for elaboration https://dionguitars.ca/features) to create a consistently and remarkably LOUD, r e s o n a n t guitar, that very much activates the particular tonal qualities of the woods. The no.3 also distinguishes with a 13th fret join, 25.4" scale, and probably the most smartly designed side soundport in the business.

A hallmark of Dion's aesthetic program is the integration of all the components - in this case the call/response and warm visual tone of the cedar-lapacho, subtle contrast perfling, oxidized/ebonized finish-stain on the cherry neck, brass fretmarkers, ebony tuners - resolving into something with optical and auditory gravity without calling anything except its energy and minimalism to attention. Opposite of bling. The lapacho is deeply mineralized - effectively sunken timber from the Panama Canal - and even under the matte finish - you feel the river running.

DC8B820C-2C28-42C9-925F-172B7B3B4D6C.jpg

Dion currently has an instr. FS directly from his shop - a spruce/lapacho in his no.4 makeup - and he currently has instruments at Guitar Gallery, Symphontree, and others about to go live on the web. If you are looking for the latest and greatest from this maker - I'd absolutely start there.

The model no.3 offers a more traditional-presenting shape and headstock, visually the guitar body has a Gurian vibe to its curves that a couple of other current luthiers also find/found compelling, and a bit more of a winningly untamed sound than the intentionally focused tone of his current no.4 model. More campfire in it. Very forgiving and responsive around attack. It is very surprising, like there's a volume knob under the hood that cranks as soon as you pick a note or strum, and overall has a 0 to 60 quotient that competes with the greats of the modern sound.

Dion took this to several guitar shows ca. 2016 and 2017 and then hung it on insta. I happened to catch it, pulled on its visual alone, and took delivery Sep2017. I just needed a guitar to carry me over until my custom Forster completed, but after acquiring immediately had decided to keep the #17 in the quiver regardless - its tone and aesthetics are powerful and distinct (it's only the prospect of a new Dion commission that allows me to let this one go), offer a long, dark blend. Then Nigel had his kits stolen (mine was the spruce/wenge S-HO) and moved to Australia, so I paid a lot more attention to the magic the Dion kit was stirring.

Strings w/ mediums. On a cedar top - you won't believe it. Dion's bracing makes it possible. The cedar has the wood's percussive decay, but stretches in that loud, resonant, endless sustain tonal regime. D-profile carbon-reinforced neck.

In excellent condition. It is a cedar top - and there are two places with very minimal nail/pick exposure - and as the osmo polyx is not a pore-fill finish, there is a subtle tactile moment along the neck at a very small knot behind the fourth fret, fourth string (see pics). I purchased the instr. in 2017 with these as full-transparency knowns in the sale. Stored in an always environmentally attentive situation. Includes HSC.

I'll post on Reverb swiftly at $3850 + shipping. Some teaser sound and vision here now, more to follow. Re the latter Dion's build thread has better pics and the benefit of his workshop's light.

256E7C00-9F2B-4DB1-97B3-222B4ACEE783.jpg

62B515C2-38F3-48CE-A2C1-4B1C6FDEE42B.jpg

FE82B70B-78B6-4209-8915-EABEB564F0F6.jpg

Last edited by usefultree; 03-12-2019 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Details
Old 03-11-2019, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Iíve heard amazing things about the Dions...and yours is gorgeous! Good luck with the sale.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:42 PM

Iíve been lucky enough to have the opportunity to play this guitar on a couple of occasions. Truly one of the nicest guitars I have ever had the opportunity to play. Itís every bit as beautiful as it looks in the pictures. Great size. Itís as if it was built just for me. Rich and with volume to spare. I have very nice smaller guitars, but even they donít have the sustain and projection of this Dion. My first chance at a guitar with a port and really pleased. Very nice for the player. Only wish I could buy it. Oh well. Someone is going to be thrilled.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Lowden F38, Santa Cruz PJ, Santa Cruz OM, Martin 0018vs, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 03-14-2019, 11:10 AM

Default On reVERB

https://reverb.com/item/20523606-dio...guitar-ca-2016

I'll likely update the soundcloud clip later today as well.

~thanks!
Old 03-17-2019, 02:57 PM

new soundclip (shall update Reverb swiftly) - https://m.soundcloud.com/branyoner/t...n-of-coherence

iPhone- fi

Last edited by usefultree; 03-18-2019 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Soundclip link
Old 03-19-2019, 02:47 PM

Another clip (I think tuned to DADF#AE) that lets the Dion kit find some very simple, expressive corners - and about the limit of my trickbag as player.

Also updated the Reverb ad description w/ it.

The Dion no.3 offers a massive sound. Like it is plugged in.

Next up, standard tuning - if I remember what that is.

In one of the '40s Gibson mic drops of a classified currently on AGF, there's a comment re poor iPhone recordings aren't what sell good instruments. Aye, sure, though Ry Cooder could argue the converse - "go where it's dangerous, and say YES!".

https://reverb.com/shop/branyons-gear-locker

Last edited by usefultree; 03-19-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Adjectives
Old 03-20-2019, 03:30 PM

Default Standard Tuning FS recording posted

Tuned the Dion cedar/lapacho (ipe) to standard - first I've played anything in standard tuning in a dog's age - to get something in most folk's tuning wheelhouse on record. Fingerstyle w/ some back-of-nail strumming demos at the end.

Piece is Ryley Walker's "Rocks on Rainbow" from his latest, Deafman's Glance. I was noodling around for about ten minutes thinking I was on to something special, then realized I was playing around this tune and started to work it out on purpose. I have new respect for Ryley W. Still a ways to go - flubs are the indian, not the arrow - as we very quaintly used to say.

And updated the rec stack in the listing's text (you only get one soundcloud post in the audio section proper).

If you've got eyes on the Dion kit, drop me a note!

Last edited by usefultree; 03-20-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:53 AM

Default Sunken Timber, massive tone

Friday b^u^m^p
Old 03-25-2019, 03:23 PM

Default Price Drop and A/B recordings

~10% drop to motivate the gallery and get traction around the amazing work this luthier is making.

Some benchmarking of sorts, the same-ish riff sequence here on the Dion

Here on a vintage-ish '68 Gibson F25

Old 03-28-2019, 10:23 AM

Default $3460

in my quest to overdocument the cedar/lapacho no.3,

cleaning out some garageband files found

">|o" only days after first uncasing the instrument and discovering its outsize energy riff by riff, session by session.

it's several minutes of bashing out chordy phrases almost as they came, the sort of elliptical alone in a room w/ the sound thing we all do, so perserverance badges go out to the intrepid.

it does capture the no.3's particular energetic expression when you really lean into it. one of his representatives (symphontree), refers to his kits as "the tube amp of acoustic guitars" and I wholly agree. definitively acoustic, of course, but it's easier to reach for electric guitar descriptors to describe it, -

under a heavy attack especially, it's like you just plugged in a WRHB Jazzmaster with a lot of overdrive and a little chorus. I hear those studio f/x that linger after the chords toward the end of peter lang's "going down china road", or some hard cutting '70s ECM fusion, john abercrombie in distortion mode counterdancing w/ tablas, and it def enhances those w/ an auditory anchor in the 80s into 90s indie sound - even though you are up to wholly acoustic endgames.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:36 PM

^bring ^up ^my ^post. recording free and with lots of love for this remarkable guitar - flying under the radar and negotiating high tension lines.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:51 AM

If you have eyes on the cedar/lap - and will be going to the Artisan Guitar Show in Harrisburg PA this coming weekend 12-14 April - send me a PM and maybe we can schedule an audition around the event.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:43 AM

Default audition opportunity

If the Venn diagrams around "d$%^ that's a fine kit" and "I'm going to the Artisan Guitar Show in Harrisburg PA this weekend" overlap for you - send me a PM by Friday. I'll be going Saturday and possibly also Sunday and could bring this up for a parking lot audition or show and tell around the event.

Dion's guitars are finding traction w/ the marquis shops in the high end acoustic game, some already ordering a second before their first acquisition has even sold.

This was the first guitar he built with the hollow core back and structured sides innovations, yielding - to borrow an audio hifi term - a very immediate soundstage, and dynamic range enhanced w/ a potential for clarity and expression when really driven at its fullest potential for volume.

Compare this $3460 to a current $7200+ base price ordered new.

https://soundcloud.com/branyoner/bac...ife-barrels-on

https://soundcloud.com/branyoner/the...n-of-coherence

https://soundcloud.com/branyoner/the...nd-mucks-about

https://soundcloud.com/branyoner/her...en-trip-ticket
Old 04-12-2019, 04:00 AM

Default Artisan Requests

b^u^m^p^

And

Last mention ahead of the Artisan Guitar Show in PA this weekend (and Saturday in particular) - if you're going and have an eye on this kit, shoot me a PM and let's work out an audition.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:23 AM

Still

____________/ |____________
\_________________________/ ) )) ))))) )))

silent running

reverb.com/shop/branyons-gear-locker

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
dion, la conner, lapacho, resonance