The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-31-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post

Keeping the back light and stiff also allows great feedback to the player as the back will have a very lively feel.

Mark
I'm glad you're addressing a pet peeve of mine that I thought had no answers to other than that it's because of the nature of acoustic guitars in general. And, you're in NJ!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
I'm glad you're addressing a pet peeve of mine that I thought had no answers to other than that it's because of the nature of acoustic guitars in general. And, you're in NJ!
Good! I'm glad you responded like that. When I play, I really like to feel the vibration of the guitar back. When I point it out to someone who's playing one of my guitars I usually get a very good response. People usually don't ask for that--I don't know why.

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 10-31-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Good! I'm glad you responded like that. When I play, I really like to feel the vibration of the guitar back. When I point it out to someone who's playing one of my guitars I usually get a very good response. People usually don't ask for that--I don't know why.
Today, I tested a vintage, boutique guitar (James Goodall) against a Martin Vintage series HD-28V (the Goodall guitar is mentioned in another thread).

I put them side by side and strummed to hear the difference while I stood in front of the sound hole. The Martin was a bit louder to my chagrin since I wanted the Goodall to be more "resonant." Also, Martin had more bottom while the Goodall had more mids which I tend to lean towards.

Then, I played each and the "loudness" was more apparent with the Goodall than the Martin to my surprise. As you say, I felt more of the tonal vibrations with the Goodall from its back and sides. Incidentally, I noticed that the Goodall was noticeably lighter than the Martin or Taylors for that matter.

I wonder if Goodall's build is similar in philosophy with yours, at least this particular model.

I'm mainly an electric guitar player and am used to hearing the tone right in front of my face from the amplifier or monitor speakers. I have noticed that some acoustic builders actually have the sound hole on the side of the guitar to address this.

Last edited by enigma; 10-31-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Today, I tested a vintage, boutique guitar (James Goodall) against a Martin Vintage series HD-28V (the Goodall guitar is mentioned in another thread).

I put them side by side and strummed to hear the difference while I stood in front of the sound hole. The Martin was a bit louder to my chagrin since I wanted the Goodall to be more "resonant." Also, Martin had more bottom while the Goodall had more mids which I tend to lean towards.

Then, I played each and the "loudness" was more apparent with the Goodall than the Martin to my surprise. As you say, I felt more of the tonal vibrations with the Goodall from its back and sides. Incidentally, I noticed that the Goodall was noticeably lighter than the Martin or Taylors for that matter.

I wonder if Goodall's build is similar in philosophy with yours, at least this particular model.

I'm mainly an electric guitar player and am used to hearing the tone right in front of my face from the amplifier or monitor speakers. I have noticed that some acoustic builders actually have the sound hole on the side of the guitar to address this.
Yes, I think (as do others) that a guitar with a heavier back will tend to project more volume forward. A back that is "active" tends to broadcast sound around more. I prefer the latter. I think if projection forward is really important you probably have it amplified anyway. Certainly, if someone wanted a guitar for non-amplified performances and needed that forward projection I would recomend we go with the heavier back. So it all comes down to the needs and preferences of the player. Just to confuse things a little more, it is said that a guitar with an active back is more prone to feedback when amplified. It really is a balancing act!

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 11-01-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Just to confuse things a little more, it is said that a guitar with an active back is more prone to feedback when amplified. It really is a balancing act!
Thanks for the education and awesome document of your building techniques and artistry! Truly, inspiring!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:51 PM

What an absolute work of art!

Rosco
Martin GPCPA2
Old 11-01-2011, 05:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco NZ View Post
What an absolute work of art!

Rosco
Thanks Rosco I appreciate your complement!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for the education and awesome document of your building techniques and artistry! Truly, inspiring!
Thanks Enigma, Sounds like you may be close to or in NJ. Perhaps you'd like to be one of the stops when I put this guitar out on its road trip after the first of the year. I already have a couple of people interested in NJ so the trip would start locally and go out from there. Let me know if you'd like me to contact you about that as we get closer.

Thanks again!

Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks Enigma, Sounds like you may be close to or in NJ. Perhaps you'd like to be one of the stops when I put this guitar out on its road trip after the first of the year. I already have a couple of people interested in NJ so the trip would start locally and go out from there. Let me know if you'd like me to contact you about that as we get closer.

Thanks again!
Would I be interested? What a privilege that would be!!! I'm in Bergen County close to the GW bridge! I'm so looking forward to this!!!
Old 11-02-2011, 02:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Would I be interested? What a privilege that would be!!! I'm in Bergen County close to the GW bridge! I'm so looking forward to this!!!
Great! I'll contact you when we get closer.

Anybody who may be interested in seeing this guitar when I put it on the road after the first of the year please let me know. I want to give the people who have been following this buld thread first dibs before I put an announcement up on a seperate thread.

Thanks!

Old 11-02-2011, 05:23 PM

you can add me to that list. Please!!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by japple View Post
you can add me to that list. Please!!!!
OK Japple, I'll pm you when we're getting closer!

Old 11-07-2011, 05:38 PM

Hows the guitar finish looking, Mark?

Take care........

Mike Solo
Old 11-08-2011, 05:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by solotaylor View Post
Hows the guitar finish looking, Mark?

Take care........
Hi Solo,

It's become obvious that I need a larger shop recently and the opportunity just opened up! I'm moving from Freehold to Milltown NJ to a much better location. The guitar body is out getting the back and side finished for probably another 4-5 weeks or more. When I get the new shop organized I'll start posting the French polish I do on the neck and headstock. I want to be up and running in Milltown by December 1st. I'll be posting "in progress" pictures of the back and sides as they come in. Can't wait to see that Cocobolo under finish!

Thanks

Old 11-08-2011, 07:09 AM

Mark, be sure to post some pics of your new shop. As a minor woodworker myself, I love seeing others' workspaces. How many square feet will you have?
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop