The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-25-2011, 10:56 AM

I would suggest posting a thread entitled - I can relax when recording - then tell us why .It would be a step in the right direction http://youtu.be/wYGefjc2vPY
Old 06-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Computer Recording Can Be A Distraction While Playing - A Few Remedies

Aloha Ivob,

I never had a problem with relaxing while recording & playing, until we got into DAW's & computer recording where I had to play AND engineer at the same time.

I have found that running a DAW & using the part of the brain necessary to do that can be a distraction from the creativity & flow I need to play & the part of the brain needed to do that - all at the same time. Sometimes, I just have to stop because I lose the inspiration for playing well in the moment after all those clicks of the mouse.

That's probably the case for many players who don't acknowledge it. It also provides a rationale that not all players are cut out for computer recording & that some of us should let pro's engineer our projects - even as home recording is so available & cost-effective now.

My goal is only to create great tracks of my music that I can send to a pro for the mixing & mastering magic they can add with all their experience. That's it. I simply don't have the time to get to their level.

In terms of practical suggestions for relaxing while recording? Do what you normally do to relax & breathe, dog. Avoid distractions. Tip: Don't eat or drink heavily before you record.

I like to swim in the ocean or take a hot shower just before I record. I soak my hands in hot water for a few minutes. I get away from other people & everyday distractions for a couple hours before I record. I set up the rig hours before I play, then walk away for awhile so all I have to do is hit record/standby, grab my axe, hit record, and play when I come back (not think about commands).

Then? Just play & let it roll. Hit the record button & keep it going. Don't do more than 2-3 takes on any one piece - diminishing returns. Just play & try not to think about the gear when you play - only the music, & to whom & what you're trying to say with your music. The micro-managing can be done later, not while you're playing.

And don't play to a microphone. Play to a person or audience inside your head. Make your music personal.

Other players here have suggested remedies for relaxing yourself for recording. But if I find I'm having a hard time jibing engineering & playing, I sometimes get inspiration from comics or comedy, something that makes you laugh to break the downward cycle of tension. Youtube clips of Sam Kinison, George Carlin or Rodney can help in a pinch.

One song that I sometimes "put on" that helps me is this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvGJvzwKqg0

Just breathe, Dog! Let It Roll & Just Play! Don't Think! Go get 'em Ivob!

alohachris

Final Tip: Make sure your room is treated. Don't let early reflection room issues sabotage your recording quality.-alohachris-

Last edited by alohachris; 06-25-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Don't do more than 2-3 takes on any one piece...
this is true, the more times i try to record on one piece, the more mistakes i start to do. i'm not a pro (as a musician) so i can take recordings with small mistakes easy, i'm affraid that if i should record for money it would be much worse i would want to have my songs/videos archived in as good quality as possible. you know, when we get old or give up playing for some reason it would be nice to play them at that time...
Old 06-28-2011, 06:21 AM

Lots of good advice here. One more piece is to just give it time. The more you do it, the easier it gets. The learning curve is steep for computerized recording (I'll never get too high up that hill), but you can get to a level of proficiency pretty quickly with all the web tutorials available. Once the technical mumbo-jumbo is out of the way, you still just need to record a number of times before it feels natural.

Some great helps are to A) know the piece very well, or B) chart it out so you aren't also taxing your memory as you try to pay, or C) both.

I found that the click track induces nerves for me, so I turned it off when i was starting out (I'm still a beginner really.)

- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Old 07-13-2011, 02:23 PM

Default Recording Pressure

Ivob, Everything is relative, including the "red light syndrome." Just think how fortunate you are to be recording in this era, when you can afford your own DAW and recording set-up. I can remember choking down the fear in the studio the first few times my band went in to record years ago and we were paying by the hour. If you screwed up, the rest of the guys were thinking how much that error was costing us........... Just try to relax and lighten up on yourself. Everybody makes mistakes..... That's why punch in technology was developed....... Good luck...........
Old 07-13-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
I never had a problem with relaxing while recording & playing, until we got into DAW's & computer recording where I had to play AND engineer at the same time.
I love this. Chris is always a great resource and I learn a little bit each time he posts. That's a great way to think about it. Being the engineer totally adds a layer of pressure. I never thought about it in these terms but he's right: as soon as I had to do it "all", there's more pressure and that tight rope I walk for three minutes feels thinner and thinner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmatt1972 View Post
One more piece is to just give it time. The more you do it, the easier it gets. The learning curve is steep for computerized recording
100% - it seems that I do more takes today than I did before DAWs and my being the engineer. I think it's because I can do so with no penalty. I can afford to be more precise, to allow fewer mistakes, to not let a background noise become a distraction. After a few years of self-DAW recording, I've become used to planning a half afternoon or so for a single song. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, both as a player and engineer, so I only do that for an album, not for a Youtube demo!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:44 PM

I used to have this anxiety feeling too, what u do is just record your practices, every time you practice, just leave the mic on, eventually, you'll get used to the Mic's presence
Old 07-19-2011, 03:23 PM

This may not work for all, but for me when I stopped recording video and recorded only audio files, most of the anxiety of the recording disappeared
Old 07-20-2011, 05:59 AM

Sometimes I get gassy when recording. This seems to break the tension quite a bit.

Yes, I am a 12 year old at heart.

Can you say "hidden track" anyone?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD