The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-30-2008, 06:04 AM

Default UPS Store=HUGE RIPOFF

I stopped in yesterday to get a box to ship a guitar.
"How much for the box, sir?"
"Hmmm, let's see...ah, yes: $11.60," the clerk said sincerely.
"For a cardboard box? You're kidding, right?"
"No."
"See ya!" I said.

Their pack and shipping prices are even worse. No thanks, big brown.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:18 AM
Musical minimalist

did you happen to ask them how much to ship??

if you do, you might want to take a couple shots first.

typically the rate you get off the website, plus 1.00 per 100.00 for insurance.
and the local store here makes you sign a waiver that if the package can't take a waist high drop onto cement, that your insurance isn't any good....

Old 01-30-2008, 06:48 AM

I sold a guitar to a fellow AGFer and I was going to ship it for free via USPS, but he insisted that I ship it via UPS and he'd pay for it. Ok, no big deal. The total cost to box and insure and ship a guitar (hard shell case) from MA to IL was $177! That's crazy.

2011 Taylor Custom 12-fret - Cedar / Ovangkol
2009 Taylor Custom GC - Engelmann / Maple
2008 Taylor Baby Mahogany
2006 Taylor T5-C
Old 01-30-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
I stopped in yesterday to get a box to ship a guitar.
"How much for the box, sir?"
"Hmmm, let's see...ah, yes: $11.60," the clerk said sincerely.
"For a cardboard box? You're kidding, right?"
"No."
"See ya!" I said.

Their pack and shipping prices are even worse. No thanks, big brown.
Do you work for free or get free rent or something? If you're a performer do you do that for free because all you're doing is sitting there and playing music and maybe not at a place were you pay the rent or mortgage?

I frequently see manufacturers charging $20-150 for boxes and packaging for items my business or customers have to send in for depot repairs and some of my customers pay more than a buck for boxes and packaging they buy buy the truck load.

Most or all UPS stores are a franchise where the merchant is paying both their landlord and UPS.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:31 AM

USPS Priority Mail is the way to go....
about half the price of UPS.
and it can be insured.

just say No to the UPS store.

Taylor 912c
Huss & Dalton MJC
Fender Strat Plus
Taylor T5 -- sold!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:46 AM

I have the best results with FedEx. I've shipped guitars several times for under $40 ground. They are insured (most around $2000), their tracking is the best and they always arrive in 3-4 days, including Saturday delivery.

I once FedEx'd a small box ground from FL to TN, -it arrived the NEXT day and was everybit HALF the cost of Postal Service.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:02 AM

UPS is bad but USPS is becoming even worse. I paid the postage for a guitar online according to the dimensions and options given on the website. When i get to the post office, they tell me there is a $44 surcharge because of the size of the box. Outrageous.

www.davidgreen.bandcamp.com
Old 01-30-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dominion View Post
USPS Priority Mail is the way to go....
about half the price of UPS.
and it can be insured.

just say No to the UPS store.
I don't believe the USPS can track your package.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPhillips View Post
I don't believe the USPS can track your package.
From some of the other inputs here my info may be outdated. The last time I used the USPS for shipping a guitar was a couple of years ago and at that time it was the best way to go. I've never tried FedEx so maybe they are the new leaders in this realm. As far as tracking the USPS -- I thought it was available, but again, I could be wrong.

Recent experience certainly trumps my memory!

Taylor 912c
Huss & Dalton MJC
Fender Strat Plus
Taylor T5 -- sold!
Charter Member

Shipping prices have increased noticeably in the recent past, 18 months or so.
Charter Member

OK guys...
I could not drive a guitar more than 200 miles one way and save money over what it would cost to ship it, buy gas and meals etc. 400 miles round-trip - gas @ 25 mpg is $50, food is $15, 6 hours of my time - so I'm $65 deep without even considering my time - which is worth $25 hour when I shoot pictures or teach. Shipping cross country is a bargain over delivering it yourself.

Our local UPS store and FedEx-Kinko's charge the same amount to ship a package as when I go stand in lines outside at the distribution center.

If you are going to a UPS store, and they pack it, you pay at least double what shipping costs, because you are paying them to box it and protect it. But if you go to a music store and get a guitar box, and prepack it properly yourself, you will save money.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

the post office does not want your packages. my carrier has a fit over having to deliver boxes (he's also none too happy with my catalogs or books either). if he had to lug a guitar box to my door he'd flip out.

a new guitar box is over $10 (and you have to buy at least 5 - in increment of 5's also) from uline.com. but i prefer to use new boxes. this way if anything happens during shipping they cannot deny the claim based on any preconditions of a used box. i have found also that the local music stores are not keeping the boxes (they are crushed for recycling quickly as they require too much storage space).

ups and most shippers state that any package has to be packed so that it can be dropped 4 feet (the height of their conveyor belts). generally, if you have to buy a box, packing materials and ship the guitar yourself from the UPS customer counter it is over $60 to get a guitar out the door. insurance over $100 is extra.

shipping is not cheap and can be a hassle. i've consigned most of the instruments that i have for sale. it is well worth the consignment fee.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dominion View Post
... As far as tracking the USPS -- I thought it was available, but again, I could be wrong.
Hi OD...
Received Paul Woolson's LG via USPS registered mail, and the sticker said $48 from California to Wyoming.

It did have a tracking number which only registers if the box is removed from a truck and locked up inside a facility overnight. As long as it travels in a truck, you only see the last place it was scanned. Perhaps someday we will have GPS tracking for packages, but right now it is a scan and post operation.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGuardian View Post
I have the best results with FedEx. I've shipped guitars several times for under $40 ground. They are insured (most around $2000), their tracking is the best and they always arrive in 3-4 days, including Saturday delivery.
This is my experience also. I have an account at Fedex so it is even cheaper still. I print my shipping labels at home and do everything from my computer chair. I even have them pick it up at my house. I have shipped about 10 guitars insured at approx. $2k each with no issues. ( knock on solid wood ).

Being a member and shipping this way also is beneficial at Christmas time as we have relatives all over the country.

Why can't we just get along
Old 01-30-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Do you work for free or get free rent or something? If you're a performer do you do that for free because all you're doing is sitting there and playing music and maybe not at a place were you pay the rent or mortgage?...
So what? Because I work for a living and make money playing music, I'm supposed to not complain about UPS Store prices? Not sure I follow the logic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell