The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-05-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLDavid View Post
Paul Simon's "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" --> EZ chords, lots of "momentum" (for lack of a better term)
That one is always a safe go-to choice when people "of a certain age" (i.e., mine) ask for a cover. If my mouth is sort of dry that night, I'll even call for volunteers to come up and whistle the break. It's really funny when they're drunk....

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
That one is always a safe go-to choice when people "of a certain age" (i.e., mine) ask for a cover. If my mouth is sort of dry that night, I'll even call for volunteers to come up and whistle the break. It's really funny when they're drunk....
Using their own microphone, of course
Old 09-13-2007, 07:40 AM

Thumbs up Thanks again to all

there are some great suggestions here!

Sober crowds frighten me, but I played for one last Saturday night and it wasn't too bad. They were heavily caffeinated, but no booze.

There seems to be a nice resurgance in acoustic guitar music by "current" bands.

Is anybody covering new tunes that they are getting good responses from or can recommend artists to draw new acoustic cover matrial from.......I know I'm modifying the thread a bit here.....but thanks!
Old 09-13-2007, 08:36 AM

hmm, upbeat songs...

there is never a shortage of lovely ladies dancing around the bar when i play tom petty's 'american girl'...

'mr. jones' by counting crows always provokes a good response too, but it's just so darn hard to sing that i dont play it a whole lot anymore...

another fun one is 'hey jealousy' by the gin blossoms

if you want to get just plain silly, 'breakfast at tiffanys' is fun...

and while not upbeat, 'what i got' by sublime is usually always a crowd pleaser...

i tried to stick with relatively newer artists (say the past 10 years instead of the 20 preceding them)... but it'll all depend on your crowd. i would never play 'breakfast at tiffanys' at a restaurant, but for a college crowd of drunk 19 year old's, i most certainly would
Bose PAS - Single Bass Unit
http://www.myspace.com/donbecker
Old 09-13-2007, 08:48 AM

Just a few off our set list

Horse with No Name - America
I've Just Seen a Face - Beatles
All Together Now - Beatles
Aimee - Pure Prairie League
Sister Golden Hair - America
Sandman - America
Maxwell's Silver Hammer - Beatles
Lookin' Out My Back Door - CCR
Bad Moon Risin' - CCR
Mrs. Robinson - Simon and Garfunkel
Feelin' Groovy - Simon and Garfunkel

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 09-13-2007, 09:38 AM

I find it interesting that there are not a lot of newer acoustic covers being mentioned in these threads. Maybe it'll just take awhile for the people 30 and under to really hit the gigging scene both on the performance and audience side of things.

I personally couldn't sit through a couple sets of primarily folk songs from the 60's and 70's. Not all young people go to clubs and trip out under strobe lights and house/trance. LOL

Just an observation....
Old 09-13-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Freak View Post
I find it interesting that there are not a lot of newer acoustic covers being mentioned in these threads. Maybe it'll just take awhile for the people 30 and under to really hit the gigging scene both on the performance and audience side of things.
i dont think that's so much the case than it is people -- no matter what their age -- all know and love the older tunes... i play primarily to people younger than myself (i'm 27)... and aside from the jack johnson or john mayer crap they want to hear, the majority of the requests (and the best audience reactions) come from some of the older stuff.

every once in a while, you'll get niche groups in the audience where they all go crazy over oasis tunes or dave matthews tunes, but the general rule that i've found is that the older stuff goes over best. i almost chuckled when sandy said that 'me and julio' would be best for people of her age group... when in reality, you can play that song in any bar with any age group in there and everyone will love it (unless you're supposed to be playing heavy metal or something).

having gone through high school in the mid-to-late 90's, a lot of my material comes from the timeframe... when playing to the low-20's crowds, however, much of it doesn't go over all that well at all cause it's still too old for them and they have no nostalgic attachment to some of the songs i loved when i was going through high school.

old stuff is always a good fall back. every so often i'll play something newer like foo fighters, david gray, the fray, etc., and nobody really seems to care.

anyway, these are just my experiences... i perform mostly on the north side of chicago, and also in some of the surrounding suburbs extending up to southeastern wisconsin...
Bose PAS - Single Bass Unit
http://www.myspace.com/donbecker
Old 09-13-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdedstr View Post
i dont think that's so much the case than it is people -- no matter what their age -- all know and love the older tunes... i play primarily to people younger than myself (i'm 27)... and aside from the jack johnson or john mayer crap they want to hear, the majority of the requests (and the best audience reactions) come from some of the older stuff........

old stuff is always a good fall back. every so often i'll play something newer like foo fighters, david gray, the fray, etc., and nobody really seems to care.
The older songs, the folk music of the 60's and 70's, have a timeless appeal. They have a structure and lyrical organization that the music of today seems to be missing. They're well crafted tunes with melody, message and emotion.

The music of today has a fleeting appeal. A catchy little hook or melody that sparks a momentary interest, but nothing that draws the listener in and holds them. No message that resonates with the soul and captures them.

Even the younger generation longs for music that speaks to the soul. That's why the "oldies" are so popular. A CSNY concert sells out because of this and if you look at the audience, many are 20-30 somethings singing along with the generation of their parents. Why? because the message, the music, and the emotion generated is timeless.

Regardless of what you think of their lifestyles and politics, the writers of the 60's and 70's were artists who had a passion for their craft. They believed to a one that substance was just as important as melody.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 09-13-2007, 12:42 PM

While over-played, usually badly, when I was in college, John Denver's Country Roads, always got a good response when I played it as recently as the year 2000.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdedstr View Post
i dont think that's so much the case than it is people -- no matter what their age -- all know and love the older tunes... i play primarily to people younger than myself (i'm 27)... and aside from the jack johnson or john mayer crap they want to hear, the majority of the requests (and the best audience reactions) come from some of the older stuff.

every once in a while, you'll get niche groups in the audience where they all go crazy over oasis tunes or dave matthews tunes, but the general rule that i've found is that the older stuff goes over best. i almost chuckled when sandy said that 'me and julio' would be best for people of her age group... when in reality, you can play that song in any bar with any age group in there and everyone will love it (unless you're supposed to be playing heavy metal or something).

having gone through high school in the mid-to-late 90's, a lot of my material comes from the timeframe... when playing to the low-20's crowds, however, much of it doesn't go over all that well at all cause it's still too old for them and they have no nostalgic attachment to some of the songs i loved when i was going through high school.

anyway, these are just my experiences... i perform mostly on the north side of chicago, and also in some of the surrounding suburbs extending up to southeastern wisconsin...
Awesome post! Makes total sense to me, now...

Guess I better start learning some more of the older stuff........
Old 09-13-2007, 01:17 PM

Don's right.

What a lot of people fail to realize is that while some kids may like to hear newer stuff, a lot of them grew up with their parents playing this stuff. So even if not all of them like it, all of them know it

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 09-13-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I always got a great reaction out of "Ice Cream Man" by Van Halen, especially if you can pull of the vocal improv at the end.
Nice! I love this song but can't imagine it in acoustic version especially without the electric lead parts.

Maybe because I look forward to the electric lead parts when I listen to it.

You guys think Bojangles is overdone? Haven't heard anybody do it in a long time.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Nice! I love this song but can't imagine it in acoustic version especially without the electric lead parts.

Maybe because I look forward to the electric lead parts when I listen to it.

You guys think Bojangles is overdone? Haven't heard anybody do it in a long time.
I've heard 3 people do it in the last month. It's a good song if you do it right

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 09-13-2007, 03:33 PM

Cool Stockard

Try "Tulsa Time" written by the great Danny Flowers and recorded,most notably by Clapton.
Everybody knows the chorus-it's great for most any agr audience

Peace
Old 09-13-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockard View Post
Try "Tulsa Time" written by the great Danny Flowers and recorded,most notably by Clapton.
Everybody knows the chorus-it's great for most any agr audience

Peace
I looked this one up and while it may be an up-tempo crowd pleaser, I've never heard it before.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell