The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-06-2019, 03:39 PM

Default Keeping Nylon String Guitars In Tune

Are there any tricks to keeping nylon string guitars from going out of tune so often?

I alternate between playing steel string and nylon string acoustic guitars.
Sometimes my steel string guitar will stay in tune for an entire set. But it seems like I'm tuning my Godin Nylon Multiac between almost every song, even after the strings have been on the guitar for a couple weeks.

I should add that I usually play a hybrid style (pick and fingers) on the nylon. So, there is no heavy strumming going on, just lighter-touch flatpicking, fingerpicking and strumming. I've tried many ways of restringing (there are plenty methods online) but none seem any better than the others.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:12 PM

NOPE... LOL... Bass strings are more stable than the trebles on nylons and will stay very close to being in tune once they've settled.

The majority of the trebles that I've tried always need adjusting after not playing the guitar as well as when temp or humidity changes
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-06-2019, 10:40 PM

Give them some gentle stretching by hand when tuning. Tug and tune, tug and tune, until a tug doesn't send it flat anymore. Repeat every time you tune for a few days. Tuning should stabilize some, but nylon is inherently more fickle than steel.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:22 AM

After a couple of weeks I only need to retune when I pick up the guitar. Then it is often due to temperature changes. I only have to retune if I change to an alternative tuning. In such a case, let's say tuning the high E string down to D, then it will try to move back up to E again. Normally I tune down to D, play a song, tune back to D again, and then it is settled.

Make sure the strings are stretched generously by hand when tuning up for the first time with a new set.

Also, you could try other polymers for better stability. I find Aquila's nylgut to particularly stable compared to other polymers (there are several sets Aquila make with nylgut). Also I think carbon is more stable than nylon.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 05-07-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:05 AM

I know steel string people who will set their guitars aside for weeks and that guitar is still in tune...

Never gonna happen with nylon strings.

2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-07-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
NOPE... LOL... Bass strings are more stable than the trebles on nylons and will stay very close to being in tune once they've settled.

The majority of the trebles that I've tried always need adjusting after not playing the guitar as well as when temp or humidity changes
My experience is just the opposite. My treble strings are generally more stable and the bass strings tend to go flat, especially when the Godin has been on the stand while I play a song with my steel string.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
After a couple of weeks I only need to retune when I pick up the guitar. Then it is often due to temperature changes. I only have to retune if I change to an alternative tuning.
Same goes for me. My nylon string guitars holding a tuning quite well, over a number of days and hours of playing. But I always need to tune a little bit when I travel to my lesson.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropt View Post
Are there any tricks to keeping nylon string guitars from going out of tune so often?
Apart from pre-stretching when you first string up, no. They should stabilise after a few days but even then nothing like steel strings. Usually if the strings are very stable its a sign they are old and need changing!

Temperature and sudden changes makes a big difference. I used to play classical guitar at weddings and events, often in the outdoors and in the sun. On a hot day and in direct sunlight I'd be retuning after every number, I could actually hear the tuning go out in the middle of piece.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 05-10-2019, 08:03 AM
some guy from NY

Thanks for the thread. I was just gonna post something and say "what's wronh" with my new nylon string guitar.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropt View Post
Nylon strings go out of tune for two reasons. First, slippage of the strings at bridge or tuning pegs. Second, stretching of the strings themselves.

You can use a method of attaching the strings at the bridge that eliminates slippage. One method is to tie a knot in the end of the non-wound strings and have the knot catch on the looping of the string. Another is to melt the ends of the non-wound strings with a match, then have the "ball" of melted string catch on the looping of the string at the bridge.

At the tuning pegs, you can loop the string under the winding to reduce slippage. It's essentially the Martin stringing method, but applied to nylon strings and rollers.

As others have mentioned, you can tug on the tuned strings to take out slack at either end of the string, where it is tied, and to help stretch the string itself. Regardless, the strings will stretch some over time and will need re-tuning. If you are changing keys from one piece of music to the next, you might re-tune anyway to sweeten the tuning for that key.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical