The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 03-05-2019, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Default William Jeffrey Jones - Kronos electric fretless... PRICE REDUCED TO $3150

47F36EF6-1CA8-485D-9A1F-2F4B1BC3F6F1.jpg

"I've not much to say that this instrument can't say on its own. This amazing guitar is a semi-hollow, fretless, 6-string, revised Kronos design. A center block runs down the middle of the body until just beyone the string ends. The rest is completely hollow. I've even gone so far as to carve out the backside of the walnut top for a better acoustic response."

So William Jeffrey Jones leads his own description. I've not much to say, either.

http://divine-jones.com/017_Kronos.html

I've been honored and fortunate to play, own, and curate this instrument.

Purchased via Richard Glick/ FGC ca. May 2008 - delivered just after the Miami Guitar Show. More than the raw energy of its woods, deeply considered geometries, and intentional counterpositions and carving, it actually was the sound clip (still on WJJ's page, worth the look and listen) - and the way the walnut top figure resolved to the sapwood on the fretboard in particular - that sold me.

In the early to late aughts artist/ceramicist/sculptor William Jeffrey Jones (best known for his commercial work creating figures for game and blockbuster film franchises) vectored all of his artistry and attention to electric guitar luthierie and built in roughly three tiers - a wildly complex sculptural series (~15K), then these Kronos pieces (~7-8K), and a comparatively more entry level range (~3-5K). He built largely with woods local to his SW Missouri home, used a light Tru-oil finish to let the woods speak, and committed to guitar-making with the same intensity and outcome of his internationally recognized work in other media.

This Kronos also distinguishes from its cohort with a carved floating bridge and a Kent Armstrong humbucker at the neck position for that warm, jazz-inflecting edge - and I'm always somewhat gobsmacked that the top was carved by a true sculptor. On his splash page, this first Kronos fretless is the only guitar he displays alongside his top of the range. If you are unfamiliar with WJJ, check out his website and instagram for his most current work and artistic direction http://divine-jones.com/artist.html and https://www.instagram.com/wjeffjones/.

The Kronos has leaned more art than instrument for me, even though fretless is sometimes more wheelhouse in my case than the fretwired (I respond to how it shapes notes like time and light in some scene in Interstellar, pulls your soul through it), am in a time and place where I can't imagine ambitious inbounds without hard calls around ambitious outbounds.

Instrument is in mint condition. Aye. Includes HSC, extra sets of D'Addario jazz lights and 15s and 19s singles, and a Trojan warrior knob carved especially for this instrument (see pic) that is a standalone example of WJJ's artwork by its own lights. More sound and vision to follow - Kronos yields a haunting tone and shape to the notes - and it's very, very easy to play.

I'll list at $6300 + shipping/insurance on Reverb in the coming weeks. I've got room for maneuver here meantime - if you're swift and serious, send me a PM.

I only listed two tags to start. If anyone has any recommendations, let me know.

6C73747F-7F62-4D1F-96D3-77790274E5B8.jpg

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-30-2019 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Edited title
Old 03-07-2019, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Default more pics |||||||||

Sound and (more) vision to follow.

9F8F6808-0A5B-4EE1-9821-A98AEF00FD02.jpg

D54B448F-6599-42A7-89B2-994DAEFBE0BC.jpg

11361FD8-AE8F-480E-97C1-6EA681338712.jpg

C8B29553-EBEE-4C22-9E5D-D2074F1764B5.jpg

09C58712-9D9E-4FCE-9D6D-E5413AEE6FDC.jpg
Old 03-08-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Daily Moment of Zen re Kronos

CA771A7F-2ACC-4EDC-A10C-C0FD2D015498.jpg

And fwiw an excerpt from the note I wrote to FGC machinating the purchase. Some oversaturation and TMI in my prose, but speaks to how this instr. really resonated w/ me, soul-stirrer, all that. William Jeffrey Jones' soundclip worth seeking out (see first thread post).

A152355C-0675-4630-AAD9-D20EB9A97847.jpg
Old 03-11-2019, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Default On the 'verb

https://reverb.com/item/20342848-wil...lectric-guitar

AGF current is running flood stage, we wake up and face the choice of always b^u^m^p^ing, going into chill mode, or widening the aperture.

btw this guitar is/was one of three anchor pieces that inspired a furniture commission to provide storage equivalent w/ the quality of the instruments themselves - that the maker integrated in his own line after

http://16thworkshop.com/products/credenza-1
Old 03-13-2019, 06:00 PM

Specs: scale, nut width, etc.?
Old 03-14-2019, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Default Specs

Hey, thanks for asking. I was letting the link to WJJ's site carry the water on that count.

Body: semi-hollow soft maple w/ walnut top

Neck: walnut w/maple, drop-down 3x3 headstock, dual-action trussrod

Fretboard: fretless katalox w/sapwood, 24 frets, 12" radius, cocobolo slots

Nut: graphite, 1.70" width

Pickups: single Kent Armstrong humbucker, covered

Switching: volume control only

Bridge: sculpted ebony floating bridge w/hard maple saddle

Tuners: black Wilkinson 3x3

Finish: Tru-oil over all

Scale length: ~25"
Old 03-22-2019, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Default design and craft non pareil

B^U^M^P

I'd mentioned in another forum of the electric persuasion - this guitar stuns with its artistic merits, though I'd highlight from a guitarist (cf. collector) perspective how remarkably easy this guitar is to play - it doesn't require a change of finger pressure, technique - from fretted, and remaps intact. i.e., it channels YOU, doesn't require you to turn into some goth-y character overly fond of non-western scales and glassy tone. You probably still won't make fast friends with the horn player in your jazz band, but endless endgames are open otherwise.

William Jeffrey Jones work is highly considered among his peers in the handcrafted electric guitar community, David Myka et al.

I'm open to conversations if this speaks to an AGFer.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Default $5670

~10% drop for the gallery. Am motivated this week in ways (and reasons extraneous to this guitar) I likely won't be down the road.

If you haven't checked out the sound clip on WJJ's own site for this guitar (link at top of thread), it's well worth your attention.

And to A/B test it against a complex jazz vibe on another WJJ (fretted) kit, check out

http://williamjeffreyjonesguitars.co...1/lesson1.html

Though they share a tonal shape and richness.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Default $5040 - with some motivation

If this serious magic sings to you, drop me a note.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Smile Wow...

What a beauty!!!

Very interesting piece. I am bad enough with frets, let alone without! Hahaha

Best on this. Sorry you need to sell!

May it find a fine new home soon, where it gets to make lots of music

Paul
Too many more...
"OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER, TOO YOUNG TO CARE!"

FOR SALE: Steve Kinnaird FS. 12 fret cut.
FOR SALE: Hiscox LA-GAD Ivory/Silver MINT $550
Old 04-07-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

If you're keen on this kit and happen to be going to the Artisan Guitar Show in Harrisburg PA this coming weekend 12-14 April, drop me a note. Would be happy to arrange a look or parking lot audition (so to speak) around the event. I'll def be there Saturday and possibly Sunday.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

Default Artisan trip

Just a reminder - if you're staring at this WJJ kit - and also happen to be going to the Artisan Guitar Show in Harrisburg PA this coming weekend - drop me a note by tomorrow COB. Would be happy to bring up the road with me and arrange an audition. I'll be there Saturday 13 April and also possibly Sunday 14 April.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:26 AM
Charter Member

Still

____________/ |____________
\_________________________/ ) )) ))))) )))

silent running

reverb.com/shop/branyons-gear-locker
Old 04-29-2019, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Now $4410

The train stops here folks. Allons y!

https://reverb.com/item/20342848-wil...lectric-guitar
Old 05-01-2019, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

b^u^m^p for price optics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags